Anyone ever sprayed their entire yard?

doomtrpr_z71

Theres no point spraying twice within a week with roundup, its little late to start this, may-july is optimum, late plantings are usually better with unhulled seed.

aabradley82

HAVeyou thoight about spraying entire yard with grazon or something similar? Amazing the difference after my wife did ours. No more weeds and if I’d buy her some msma it’d get rid of the crabgrass too

doomtrpr_z71

HAVeyou thoight about spraying entire yard with grazon or something similar? Amazing the difference after my wife did ours. No more weeds and if I’d buy her some msma it’d get rid of the crabgrass too
Msma is illegal to use on home turf as is grazon, picloram is a bit overkill for a yard, especially since it will kill trees and it stays active in the clippings.

doomtrpr_z71

Well yeah it works, msma is an arsenical that's why it's not labeled for anything other than cotton and a single application on commercial turf fields, it's a bit nasty and I'll be surprised if it still available when it goes under reregistration, grazon works great on grass, it's just way overkill for a yard and 24d will kill the same stuff without the residual or killing of the trees. Picloram is actually the safest herbicide to humans past Roundup but pyridine herbicides are quite persistent, it's the same ingredient used in tordon to kill stumps, it doesn't play nice if drifted on a broadleaf.99698680a04a236531ccb68ed33e179fe5d947eb-14.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here's my take. I've been installing and maintaining grass for decades. If your yard is mostly weeds, killing it and starting over might be a good idea. But, realize that there is probably a huge bank of weed seeds in the soil that are going to germinate as soon as you disturb the soil. If you want that perfect lawn with no weeds, then regardless of whether you sow it, sod it, or whatever, no matter how much you spend, it's not gonna stay that way unless you spray it a couple times a year with a selective herbicide and put down pre-emergent for stuff like crabgrass. Then, you also have to fertilize, de-thatch, and such regularly, and mow at the correct height, which is usually higher than most folks mow. Having that lush, green, monoculture lawn is a lot of work, and costs a lot, and has a lot of environmental implications, also.

Ugahunter2013

I planted our yard back in May. We did a 60/40 mix of Bermuda and Tift Blair Centepede. I also mixed some sand in with spreader. Roughly 1 - 1 1/4 lbs per 1,000 sq feet. Dragged in with piece of fence when k was done and lightly covered with wheat straw. Run sprinklers 3x a day for about 1hr each. The bermuda will come up first and hold the centipede in place until it germinates. Eventually the centipede will choke out the bermuda. Will try to get some pictures tmrw. Bermuda was $5.95/lb ans Centipede was around $25/lb

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Here's my take. I've been installing and maintaining grass for decades. If your yard is mostly weeds, killing it and starting over might be a good idea. But, realize that there is probably a huge bank of weed seeds in the soil that are going to germinate as soon as you disturb the soil. If you want that perfect lawn with no weeds, then regardless of whether you sow it, sod it, or whatever, no matter how much you spend, it's not gonna stay that way unless you spray it a couple times a year with a selective herbicide and put down pre-emergent for stuff like crabgrass. Then, you also have to fertilize, de-thatch, and such regularly, and mow at the correct height, which is usually higher than most folks mow. Having that lush, green, monoculture lawn is a lot of work, and costs a lot, and has a lot of environmental implications, also.
I planted clover in the yard at the farm.Didn,t want to spend the time ,money.or chemicals for a grass yard.2 wells I didn,t want to possibly contaminate.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I planted clover in the yard at the farm.Didn,t want to spend the time ,money.or chemicals for a grass yard.2 wells I didn,t want to possibly contaminate.
I don't have to plant clover here. Just plant grass, and in a few years it'll be mostly white clover. :)