Anyone Here Ever Had or Have Asthma?

Redbow

I used to have it bad when I was a kid growing up in the 50's and into the sixties. Doctors back in the days of the fifties didn't know how to treat Asthma,, they used to give me pills that did offer a bit of relief which was good. I missed many school days in the fifties with really bad Asthma attacks.

Then an atomizer spray thing with liquid medicine came out and it was much better at relieving the Asthma spells. Doctors used to tell my Mom that I had a good chance of outgrowing my Asthma and by the mid-sixties or so I rarely had the disease. That was good I guess I did outgrow the Asthma attacks but at times in this old age I can feel it every now and then trying to creep back in, I sure hope it doesn't. I have not had an Asthma attack now in decades and I hope I never have another one, bad stuff.

GeorgiaBob

Similar story for me. I remember Dad making a 6 yo me inhale over a glass of whiskey as I was gasping for air, then had me take a sip to help me breathe. It worked - and convinced me that whiskey would NEVER be my drink of choice.

The asthma inhalers were a Godsend. I could take a couple of hits when I first started to feel "tight" and there would be no gasping, dizzying, can't breathe, stop everything moment. By the time I was 13 or 14 those attacks were mostly history.

On rare occasions over the past 50 adult years I have had brief experiences with that extreme tightness, gasping, wheezing feeling of helplessness. I guess asthma never completely goes away. For me, it was a childhood problem that just shows up once in a long while to remind me I am less than perfect!

Redbow

Yeah GeorgiaBob I used to do the whiskey thing every now and then also when I was very young, I can't stand the stuff now but I do keep a little Wild Turkey here just for throat problems.

I used to work with a man that added a few drops of Vodka to his spray medication for Asthma, it seemed to help him breath better when an attack came. I was given a small purple square shaped pill by my Doctor back in the fifties, it was pretty good for that day and time with Asthma but it started making me throw up when I took it. It had an awful bitter taste after swallowing it. Then my Grandmother came up with an idea, she mashed up a little bit of banana, put the pill in it then had me swallow it. It worked and I was glad.

I sure hope you never have another Asthma attack either the extreme tightness, wheezing and feeling helpless with that disease is terrible. When my Wife was teaching she had a small boy in her class that had Asthma so bad he died from it.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have just been told that I have asthma at age 74. I never had anything that I thought was anything like asthma as a kid.

I got pneumonia once at about 17. It cleared no problem. At 30 I got pneumonia again and it wouldn't clear. Spent a couple of weeks in the hospital. The next year was the same without the hospital. The third year I got pneumonia again and it wouldn't clear. I was in the hospital for nearly a month and was finally told that the only solution was to cut out the part that was bad. They thought that the first case of pneumonia back when I was 17 might have been caused by my having aspirating something and that there was scarring in the bottom of that lung that made me more susceptable.

Before age 65 I had no respiratory issues that I thought were out of the normal, a cold every other year or so, bronchitis or the flue once a decade or so. Since 65 I have been much more susceptable to "hay fever" type allergies and have had bronchitis with increasing regularity. Now it's about every year. Went to see the Dr. 2 weeks ago when it was getting no better after a couple of weeks. Saw a new Dr. since mine was out of towns. She asked me if anyone had ever told me that I had asthma. I said, "No". She said, "Well you have".

Redbow

I have had hay fever all my life, it seems to go along with Asthma so Doctors have told me in the past.

Sorry to hear about your problems JustUs4All, I will not wish Asthma on anyone its a bad thing to contend with.

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve never had asthma or allergies or breathing problems until COVID. COVID stole my wind. I saw a program on this stuff, said Doctors gave it to people with breathing problems. I read up on it and started taking it, it seems to have helped. I take no medications or other supplements. Mite look it up and see if it interests y’all.3C518545-E6C4-4AF6-8969-58EE0D3BF0C1.jpeg

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Had it as a child. Grew out of in my teenage years. Ironically about the time I started smoking.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I still haven't had the symptoms of an asthma attack. Over the past couple of years I have experienced a sensation of shortness of breath usually when I am sleeping or nearly so. I figured it was something like sleep apnea.

jdgator

I don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone outgrown a food allergy they started life with? I have heard of this happening to children as their guts develop around age 5.

Core Lokt

Never had asthma but stayed sick as a dog as a kid. Out grew that in my early teens and very and I mean very rarely even get a cold or sick now. Had covid twice but my immune system seems to keep me from getting anything of normal including the flu, never had it either.

My oldest girl had it when she way young but has pretty much outgrown it. She was bad allergic to cat dander, I mean bad but that has also calmed down to very little.

Both girls have allergies but me or the wife don't.

Redbow

I don't mean to hijack the thread but has anyone outgrown a food allergy they started life with? I have heard of this happening to children as their guts develop around age 5.
I guess my Wife grew into a food allergy, she used to eat crab meat now she can't in her old age. I used to could eat stewed Oysters now they make me sick every time I eat them. Fried Oysters or right out the shell raw I can deal with but I quit eating stewed Oysters decades ago.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have asthma of a different type, it’s triggered by exposure to certain chemicals. I didn’t have it until late in life. I’ve got it under control with daily medication and a biweekly injection at home.

K80Shooter

I never had problems with breathing or anything similar. I have found that since I had a mild bout with covid that I constantly find myself out of breath and tired.

My Dr. sent me to have a series of breathing test's. Turns out that they are saying that I now have moderately-sever copd and asthma. My Dr wrote me some prescriptions for some stuff but so far, I have refrained from using anything.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My son had it when he was little, but grew out of it by the time he was a teenager.

Kev

I had it bad when I was a kid but it started easing in my late teens and early 20s. Now I have occasional problems but nothing too serious anymore.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I ended up with Covid pneumonia last January. Took about 6-7 weeks to get over it. Saw a pulmonologist after 5-6 weeks, went through a bunch of breathing test’s and he said my lungs were in above average condition. A couple months ago I was diagnosed with bronchitis and took antibiotics to get rid of it. Recently I’ve been wheezing when I exert myself to much. Went to the doc last week. Lung X-ray looked good. She believes it’s asthma. At 55 years old. Go figure.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I used to have it bad when I was a kid growing up in the 50's and into the sixties. Doctors back in the days of the fifties didn't know how to treat Asthma,, they used to give me pills that did offer a bit of relief which was good. I missed many school days in the fifties with really bad Asthma attacks.

Then an atomizer spray thing with liquid medicine came out and it was much better at relieving the Asthma spells. Doctors used to tell my Mom that I had a good chance of outgrowing my Asthma and by the mid-sixties or so I rarely had the disease. That was good I guess I did outgrow the Asthma attacks but at times in this old age I can feel it every now and then trying to creep back in, I sure hope it doesn't. I have not had an Asthma attack now in decades and I hope I never have another one, bad stuff.
It’s not a bad idea to have a rescue inhaler. I got one after my visit with my doc last week

TJay

I ended up with Covid pneumonia last January. Took about 6-7 weeks to get over it. Saw a pulmonologist after 5-6 weeks, went through a bunch of breathing test’s and he said my lungs were in above average condition. A couple months ago I was diagnosed with bronchitis and took antibiotics to get rid of it. Recently I’ve been wheezing when I exert myself to much. Went to the doc last week. Lung X-ray looked good. She believes it’s asthma. At 55 years old. Go figure.
My wife has what's called "adult onset asthma". Kind of the opposite of what others have experienced. She was really sick in 2008 with MRSA and had to be intubated, she said her problems started after that.