Anyone hunt in MISSISSIPPI?

Just 1 More

I may have an oppertunity to hunt 100+ acres of private land and was wondering if the deer hunting over there is any good? I'll see if I can get more info and post the area that it's in.. I know that probably makes a big difference.

Just 1 More

Heres the info I just got. It's 133 acres on Hwy 51 in Winona about 60+ miles north of Jackson in Montgomery county

Last edited:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member

I worked on Hillside NWR, just outside of Yazoo City..........helped a boy drag a 150 class 8 point out one morning........there are some nice deer in Miss......the deer are generally bigger in the Delta than in the hills........Winona/Duck Hill are right on the edge. :)

Junebug

Yep!

Headed back (2nd time this year) this weekend. FABULOUS, SUPER hunting!

Lots of deer over around Winona/Duck Hill. Over near the Big Black River...HUGE bucks in that floodplain. If you get the chance; GO! You won't regret it.

Junebug

Just 1 More

This place has a house on it and has been in my friends family since waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back.. the grandmother died last year and they are not sure what to do with the land. They think they want to sell but just can't bring themselfs to sell it. I was told I could hunt it just as to have someone going up there to look after the place a little. Looks like I will need to make a trip... They have a late season Muzzleloader hunt.

Primitive weapon (private lands only) January 20, 2005 - January 31, 2005 (Either Sex)

SlipperyHill Mo

Go For It!

I ave been on some good hunts in Missisippi. I believe they have more deer than in Ga and less square miles. Have not hunted that area but have been on the Big Black River towards Natchez.

littlewolf

i hunt down around lucedale which is in southeast mississippi...

There's a few gotchas for non-residents. For starters an annual license is 300 bucks. The limit is 3 bucks and 3 does per season and only one deer per day. BUT -- if your a nonresident you can't kill does UNLESS you own the land or lease the land. So if youre hunting family or friends land you need a note saying your leasing it if you plan on shooting does. Just being family does not count.

i hunt private land in southeast mississippi and public land in middle georgia. my experience is that i see more and bigger deer in middle ga...the family land i hunt in missippi is about 850 acres and probably less than 8 deer are taken off it every year. there are some good bucks on it but the rut is in late january/early february and they are rarely seen during season...

there's a good rut map and a good whitetail forum on the ms dnr site: http://www.mdwfp.com/

Jeff Phillips

All my hunting over there has been on the Tenn-Tom up around Amory (between Columbus and Tupelo). I have taken some good deer for that area, up to 125 B&C, and have seen several 140 class bucks.

LOTS OF DEER IN MISS ;)

gobble79

I spent the 1st 21 years of my life only about 25 miles south of Winona right on HWY 51. If the land is in the Big black river swamp, the chance at a wall hanger should be good. The other areas have a good population and the hunting is good. This brings back old memories. I could walk out my back door and be in the swamp in 10 minutes. I could hunt north or south for as far as I wanted to go. None of the land was leased at that time and I had permission to hunt as much as I wanted. Now, you have to have deep pockets to get in the swamp around there. I have carried a many of deer, turkey, rabbits, ducks, you name it out of that swamp. Man, I feel like a teenager again just thinking about it. The rut should be in full swing right now. I haven't talked to my brothers in a couple of weeks, but the rut usually is going strong in that area mid December. I usually hunt over there during Thanksgiving and Christmas when I am visiting the family.

Last edited:

SWAMPFOX

I concur with Littlewolf. Mississippi ain't very helpful when it comes to make it easy for non-residents to hunt. I guess their legislators haven't figured out that deer hunters' $$$ can be used to good advantage in small communities.

gobblinglawyer

SWAMPFOX said:
I concur with Littlewolf. Mississippi ain't very helpful when it comes to make it easy for non-residents to hunt. I guess their legislators haven't figured out that deer hunters' $$$ can be used to good advantage in small communities.

The nonresident license really got the price "jacked up" a few years back when I was living out there.

Mississippi has a ton of hunters that come in from Louisiana to hunt deer and Louisiana has a ton of hunters from Mississippi to hunt ducks. Louisiana raised their nonresident license to around $300 so Mississippi felt compelled to raise their license fees for the LA hunters. The rest of us just got caught in the crossfire.

Having said that, MS is a GREAT place to hunt. I killed my biggest bow buck out there in 2001. 8 pt. 18" inside spread with 9" G-2's, live weight was 219! I got him just off the Natchez Trace Parkway near Church Hill, MS.

Good luck in MS!

B4LITE

I've hunted and own some land outside Amory and some big bucks have been taken in that area. The problem is they don't practice good Big Buck QM; they shoot everything. We don't have monsters here in GA like up north but they are bigger than most Northeast MS deer I've seen taken. I understand they have started a DQM program that should produce some real good bucks in a couple of years. ::;