Anyone hunt the N. GA WMA's??

sgtwebb1

Hi all, long time lurker, first-time poster.
Been living in Catoosa County a couple of years, and am wondering how many of you hunt the WMA's in this area.
A few sizeable areas--John's Mtn, Crockford-Pigeon and others.
Been on a lease in N. Alabama for several years, but my son & his wife just had a baby, so he won't be hunting as much this year, and I'm not as young as I used to be, so I don't go without him.

Anyway, just looking for advice.

Thanks.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not much help to you , I’ve hunted a few times looking for a bear around White and Habersham counties and I can say they are scarce. I think if I lived in the area I could be successful though . Good luck to you ! One thing for sure you’ll be hurting in some beautiful country

campboy

Been living in Catoosa County a couple of years, and am wondering how many of you hunt the WMA's in this area.
Been on a lease in N. Alabama for several years, but my son & his wife just had a baby, so he won't be hunting as much this year, and I'm not as young as I used to be, so I don't go without him.

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum. I’ve hunted Crockford-Pigeon mountain in the past. Beautiful area. Best advice is to get out there and do some scouting

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly

Thanks.
Biggest difference is gonna be your habits, going from the lease to public land. If you’re used to hunting from big stands on bait stations etc.., that will be the biggest change. If not, then carry on as usual. Mobile hunting stands and ground hunting is the typical or preferable way to go. I’ve put leaner type stands out on public land before, but a few years ago I jumped into saddle hunting and haven’t looked back. If you haven’t already been doing it, I seriously suggest you and your son check out saddle hunting!
As far as the WMAs you mentioned, I go the range at Johns mtn and have driven around quite a bit, but never really hunted it but a few times years ago……beautiful scenery! Never been to the pigeon. Regardless, You are blessed to have them in close proximity! I’d start with pigeon and get to know it. Go from there!
Welcome to the fire!

slow motion

Not much help to you , I’ve hunted a few times looking for a bear around White and Habersham counties and I can say they are scarce. I think if I lived in the area I could be successful though . Good luck to you ! One thing for sure you’ll be hurting in some beautiful country
All you need is a ham n cheese sammich brother. Come right to you.
Screenshot_20230603-065836_Adblock Browser.jpgScreenshot_20230603-065822_Adblock Browser.jpg

hunter84

I hunt rich mountain on the cartecay track and have good luck with both deer and bear don't have big giants like in other areas but good enough for me. And it's bow only so not many people hunt it after gun season opens.