AR-15 Iron Sights/Red Dot

lonewolf247

the sight you have should be pinned on, couple of pins through the lower portion of that sight, you can drive those out , remove the flash hider and the sight post will slide off the front of the barrel, then check the diameter of the area the sight post was on and order a low profile gas block the correct size, it will likely be a clamp on or set screw style but will work the same.

You can then use a flip up style front sight if you wish, as long as you get a gas glock that has the picatinny slots on the top of it.

Since you aren't familar with AR's its probably simpler to find someone in your area who is and let them guide you in your choices , or try watching some videos online on assembling AR's

Ok, I think I get what you are saying. I was wondering if you drove the pins out and removed the gas black, how would the replacement be stabilized in place. Sounds like clamp, or set screw, as you say.

Yes this is another option, I will consider, thanks!

Jester896

Senior Clown
The video is good and may be a better choice for you if you don't think you will change the hand guard. The gas block I mentioned would go inside/under the new hand guard. The option in the video is a little higher than I mentioned. They are the ones someone mentioned that came in several heights. You would want a rear rail height one. The turned area of that barrel it most likely .750 but you can measure it when you take it off.

If this is something you want to do yourself something the video didn't mention...I use an aluminum straight edge to make sure the gas block is centered by holding it tight in the area under the picatinny of the rear receiver and check it from both sides.

The M4 you picked up was a battle weapon design and you would have a tough time knocking the sight off. That turned down area in front of the sight is for the grenade launcher that mounts on them.

lonewolf247

Thanks Jester896!

I think I'm going to stick with that handguard on this rifle, more than likely. I like the compact handiness of this rifle. I just have to decide for sure, which direction I want to go with the optics/sights, etc.

This style upper, I think I would like to get in 7.62x39, minus the gas block with the front sight. I definitely want a riflescope on that one, to use for some hunting, and shooting for fun. Trying to keep the weight down, with that style of handguard, as well.

My other AR has the 15" handguard, and it's in 6.5 Grendel. It's a good bit heavier, and doesn't have that compact feel to it.

Back to the gun at hand, in this post, I'm going to try to set it up with a red dot, and a rear sight first, and see how I like it.

Anyhow, thanks again everyone, this thread has taught me a lot!

BriarPatch99

^Nice looking Rifle BP99! So you changed the hand guard on it too? Nice! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Yes ...I believe that is a Yankee Hill (can't remember for sure)...

And I was wrong about the sight ...it was a gas block with a picitinny rail ....

I ground the gas block down to a slim block that would go under the hand guard .... you can see some marks from the cut off disc ...it was a big square type block ....

Had a SiG red/green dot with different dots ....

I did cut and grind a set of sights for another person ....no photos

lonewolf247

Yes ...I believe that is a Yankee Hill (can't remember for sure)...

And I was wrong about the sight ...it was a gas block with a picitinny rail ....

I ground the gas block down to a slim block that would go under the hand guard .... you can see some marks from the cut off disc ...it was a big square type block ....

Had a SiG red/green dot with different dots ....

I did cut and grind a set of sights for another person ....no photos

Yeah, a little different situation, but you did a great job on it, and transformed it into a completely different look! Thanks for sharing....

BriarPatch99

I did cut sights down to a low profile that a full length hand rail similar to the one on the SIG in my photos... the hand rail covered the cut sights and was not visible.... we painted the cut with high temp black paint ..... never would have known it was any other way if nobody said anything.

A lot less metal to cut and grind .... but since you are not interested in changing the hand rail ...probably not a good idea ...

We used flip up sights(similiar to the Mag Pul)on the other guys .....on the back of the receiver and at the top rail on the front of the hand guard .... until he got a red dot to put on it...

Gator89

I cutoff both the sight post and the bayonet lug off of a mil spec gas block on my 6.8 upper. I then ground off enough material that a free float tube would fit over the gas block, applied cold blue and reinstalled it on my upper.

I knew I was going to use a scope on the gun for deer and occasional coyote or hog and "iron sights" would never be used.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
This is my setup, A2 style adjustable rear sight and co witness Vortex Strikefire.

I love the irons on the M16/AR15
20200321_200457.jpg

lonewolf247

I did cut sights down to a low profile that a full length hand rail similar to the one on the SIG in my photos... the hand rail covered the cut sights and was not visible.... we painted the cut with high temp black paint ..... never would have known it was any other way if nobody said anything.

A lot less metal to cut and grind .... but since you are not interested in changing the hand rail ...probably not a good idea ...

We used flip up sights(similiar to the Mag Pul)on the other guys .....on the back of the receiver and at the top rail on the front of the hand guard .... until he got a red dot to put on it...

I wouldn’t be afraid of cutting the sight, or changing the gas block, I just haven’t decided, exactly which direction I want to go with this rifle yet.

I already have another AR-15, with the longer hand rail, and I wanted one compact like this one with the short hand guard. The front sight just has me unsure of whether I want to utilize it, or get rid of it....

I cutoff both the sight post and the bayonet lug off of a mil spec gas block on my 6.8 upper. I then ground off enough material that a free float tube would fit over the gas block, applied cold blue and reinstalled it on my upper.

I knew I was going to use a scope on the gun for deer and occasional coyote or hog and "iron sights" would never be used.

I do plan to buy another caliber in a similar AR, with the short hand guard, but one that is, optics ready, and without the front sight, and I will mount a scope on that one and use for hunting.

This is my setup, A2 style adjustable rear sight and co witness Vortex Strikefire.

I love the irons on the M16/AR15
View attachment 1123566

Nice rifle! I will probably set mine up this way first, and try it a bit, and see how I like it...

Jester896

Senior Clown
I do plan to buy another caliber in a similar AR, with the short hand guard, but one that is, optics ready, and without the front sight, and I will mount a scope on that one and use for hunting.

just buy an upper and use it on 1 of your other lowers

lonewolf247

Well, after all considered in this thread, I have attempted to set up my rifle as follows. Initially I wanted to somehow use my 1-4x riflescope for this Rifle. However, the front sight seemed to block a clear view, of things, and cause a blur when looking thru the scope.

After looking at options of cutting down the front sight, I felt it was not the best choice, as Jesture896 had mentioned. I then considered changing the gas block, and was looking at that route. Then my scope would work fine.

Although, I still wanted to try to keep the Rifle original with the front sight, and somehow be able to use the riflescope, and front sight at the same time.

I purchased a riser, and a rear sight, with somehow, both coming together, and lining up in a fashion that both would work.

So anyhow, I managed to put it all together, and both appear to be able to work independently. Although I have not been able to shoot it yet, so assuming I don’t have any issues sighting in, this may be the route I go with.

The riflescope appears, a little high above the bore, but believe it or not, it feels comfortable when I shoulder the rifle. The iron sights appear to line up perfectly, and are visible, down below, the riflescope.

Anyhow, this thread has taught me a lot, but I’m still really green, so hope it works out.

Opinions, comments? Ok let’s have it! ?

Attachments

• 4ED713A3-B0B6-4C11-B15F-3C06D2E84EB1.jpeg
    4ED713A3-B0B6-4C11-B15F-3C06D2E84EB1.jpeg
    333.2 KB · Views: 19
  • BB27B460-092B-4534-864B-8A1CE4D3AD40.jpeg
    BB27B460-092B-4534-864B-8A1CE4D3AD40.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 20
  • E4DB8C56-9743-43B9-8DEA-377BEA25D462.jpeg
    E4DB8C56-9743-43B9-8DEA-377BEA25D462.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessor...tr-moe0-75cheekriser.html?mp_global_color=175

they make this cheek riser in three heights for that stock (MOE) I think the one I posted is .75 or 3/4. They also make .50 and .25

snaps in

your pretty high above the bore axis. It will change your drops, you will have to figure that out by measuring form bore to center of scope. Then enter it into a drop calculator and go out and prove it.

does the rear sight lock? looks real close

Last edited: