AR-32...update it or leave it?

ASH556

I bought this bow in fall of '07 just before Archery Research went out of business. At the time, I thought it was a decent purchase and the bow shoots well enough. I had Jeff Lamb build new strings/cables two years ago and put on, but then I got impatient in an effort to try to get the bow ready to go for season, and I feel like it's been half finished for the last two years (though I have hunted with it and shot a few 3D tourneys with it).

Specs as it sits:
Archery Research AR-32
28" Draw
70 lbs, not sure about letoff
Jeff Lamb String/Cables
G5 Peep - only 1/2 served - Dale was closed for Labor Day and Basspro did it (1/2 way), still doesn't turn right every time.
Sword Accusite (not sure which model) Extended Dovetail Slider, 5 pins, 0.10", light.
Whisker Buiscuit Rest - original came with bow
Mini-"S" Coil stabilizer - bought with bow
Scott Little Goose Release.

I feel like I want to update the bow a bit, mostly the rest and stabilizer. I have no illusions of being a competition archer, but the bow feels un-balanced as the sight is currently longer than the stabilizer.

I guess the real question is how much money do I need to get this thing tuned up right?

My thoughts:
QAD Fall-away rest - is it worth it for the HD version?
Longer Stabilizer - 8"? What brand?
Fix the serving on the peep.

Shoot the daylights out of it.

Thanks for the insight and input. Like I said, this may be just meddling, but I feel like the bow is 1/2 done.

I guess I should also add that this is my first/only bow.

Thanks!

The Fever

Well be prepared for plenty of opinions! That is the beauty of the archery world. WE all have the ability to make things our own. I will state my opinions. The WB slowed my arrow down dramatically and seemed to add to the shooter error we all experience from time to time. The QAD is a great way to go. I only purchased the basic model and I am more than happy. Although I think the HD is made of metal parts and would be more durable. I put it on my PSE Stinger and can put arrows together much more often. Also it doesent slow the arrow down nearly as much. I your going to hunt with it, I would be careful how long of a stabilizer I would put on there. Only because this is like another arm to get snagged on something in the hunt. Mine is only 6 inches or so. I would DEF finish the peep to where it does not turn. This is just asking for trouble. Its hard enough for anyone to get a deer within range, we don't need any extra problems.

ASH556

Well be prepared for plenty of opinions! That is the beauty of the archery world. WE all have the ability to make things our own. I will state my opinions. The WB slowed my arrow down dramatically and seemed to add to the shooter error we all experience from time to time. The QAD is a great way to go. I only purchased the basic model and I am more than happy. Although I think the HD is made of metal parts and would be more durable. I put it on my PSE Stinger and can put arrows together much more often. Also it doesent slow the arrow down nearly as much. I your going to hunt with it, I would be careful how long of a stabilizer I would put on there. Only because this is like another arm to get snagged on something in the hunt. Mine is only 6 inches or so. I would DEF finish the peep to where it does not turn. This is just asking for trouble. Its hard enough for anyone to get a deer within range, we don't need any extra problems.

Yeah, the speed is my main concern with the rest. At the same time, I want to drop the weight a bit. I'm not as young as I used to be (though I have started hitting the gym again) but bottom line, I'd rather the draw be a little smoother and loose some speed. I hope to pick back up some of the speed with the rest.

Also, will the drop away allow me to just change arrows and only change sights (if I wanted to go to fatter arrows for shooting spots/3D?) Obviously, the fat ones won't fit through the WB.

One other accessory I forgot to add is the String Tamer. When I bought the bow, I was just looking for the fastest. Now, I've become more interested in smoother/quieter, but not sacrificing speed totally.

The Fever

Yes you can change your arrows out just fine.

lungbuster123

I guess the real question is how much money do I need to get this thing tuned up right?

My thoughts:
QAD Fall-away rest - is it worth it for the HD version?
Longer Stabilizer - 8"? What brand?
Fix the serving on the peep.

Shoot the daylights out of it.

Thanks for the insight and input. Like I said, this may be just meddling, but I feel like the bow is 1/2 done.

I guess I should also add that this is my first/only bow.

Thanks!

The HD will run you around $120 new or you can pick one up used from somwhere like the AT classfied's I bought mine for about $70.

As for the stabilizer I almost alway's have somthing 8"-12" usually a B-Stinger, but im shooting a 10" Stokerized now and like it also. Both are fairly exspensive with the B-Stinger's running about $75 or so and the Stokerized stabilizer's are roughly the same price maybe a hair more. Ive never run into a problem with my stabilizer being in the way while im hunting. My arrow stick's out a good 20" atleast so I don't see how my stabilizer would effect anything that my arrow would'nt.

For reserving I would say around $5 or so from a shop. I don't know how much you've shot the bow, but it might be time to change the string's and cable's out. Two year's is a good time served for some string's, but I shoot alot and usually change mine once a year.

Huntinfool

If I could pick one bow I've ever owned and say it's the best i ever owned, it would be the original AR31 with the cam 1/2 system. Yes, finish that baby up.

Still kicking myself for selling that bow. Needed the cash at the time. Big big mistake on my part.

cgn526

I still shoot an AR34 cam 1/2 as my back up. Great line of bows. You can buy a "bisquit" with the large hole and swap it out for 3D if you like that rest. I'm particular to full capture rests for deer hunting myself. That bow's capable of 308 fps IBO at a 30" draw. That's plenty fast. The let off is determined by what hole you have the "let off" pin in. It's either 65% or 75%. Those hybrid cams have a sweet draw and a lot of energy. PSE still uses them under the Nrg designation on their X-Force bows.