Are the acorns done in your area?

rugerfan

So the last 3 places I have been it seems like the acorns are all dropped for the year. I am hunting ONF both in Jasper and Putnam counties, what is your experience?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
West ga , whites have all fell that I’ve noticed . Still raining water and reds

chrislibby88

Chestnut oaks are still dropping and are on fire. If you find one dropping bring extra ammo. White oaks finish slightly before them, they were raining hard last weekend in mid GA. Just hunted east GA this weekend and everything but chestnuts was done. Overcups still have a few left on them, but are mostly wormy and underdeveloped. Reds should be good and will get better as they age on the ground, some water oaks are done, some could stay dropping into spring.

You can probably still find a rare persimmon that has plenty of stubborn fruit. I hunted one this weekend in east GA. I’ve seen them here in middle GA still loaded up late too.

Update: scouted a river bottom property 40 minutes from the house. Chestnuts are spotty, some are done, some are still dropping good and covered with feed sign, lots of buck sign nearby. No water oaks, the few whites I checked were dropped out. There aren’t a lot on this place though. None of the reds had acorns.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Swamp chestnut, live oak, and water oaks are dropping acorns good down here.

BowSniper

On the farm in Wilkes, my hardwood lot is covered up in them. Obviously the reason we are also covered up in deer.

BowSniper

Gator89

Nope, live oak, water (pin) oak and white oaks still dropping.

Deer just started focusing on acorns because most of the peanuts have been harvested. But my camera on acorn trees has been blowing up this week with pictures of does and fawns.

Latest posts