Ash Wednesday

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Creeps me out when I see schmutz on people's foreheads every year. I saw a newscaster lady with some. She looked ridiculous.

had to google it.

Attachments

• Ash Art.JPG
    Ash Art.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 46

Israel

BANNED
This is what comes to mind of the numbers game.

Attachments

• eat poop.jpg
    eat poop.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 43

Israel

BANNED
Yet, this must also always be taken into account.

Attachments

• individuality.jpg
    individuality.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 42

WaltL1

This is what comes to mind of the numbers game.
:rofl:
Yep when people use the numbers game as though it proves something, they never really consider the flip side.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Well then, since it's your rule and not a board rule,
recon I'll go with it.

Just so you know, there are, Worldwide:

1.285 billion Catholics.

920 million Protestants.

Now you know.

It’s kinda of a courtesy thing, and not much to ask actually.

Annnnnnd I think we got your point the first time, not that it matters.

Big7

The Oracle
Just so you know....

Ranger Dave, AKA, Cracker Dave, got me on this board.
(Ten years ago)

Something about ragin' on The Pope, something
about that t'eed me off.

I have never met him but we talked on the phone
a time or two.

My sig line says it all and I have a few more zingger's.
Can't pull it tho' cause DS7418 put it out in plain terms.

My Dad's side of the family are ALL Protestant.
My Granny was a charter member @ Corinth
in unincorporated Youth, Ga. Born in 1908.
Her grave is across the road from the door.
(non-denominational, close enough to be Baptist)

So, do I think if you are not Catholic, you are going to
double hockey sticks?

That answer would be NO.

BTW.. Catholicism IS NOT ADJUSTABLE.

WaltL1

Ranger Dave, AKA, Cracker Dave, got me on this board.
(Ten years ago)

about that t'eed me off.

I have never met him but we talked on the phone
a time or two.

My sig line says it all and I have a few more zingger's.
Can't pull it tho' cause DS7418 put it out in plain terms.

My Dad's side of the family are ALL Protestant.
My Granny was a charter member @ Corinth
in unincorporated Youth, Ga. Born in 1908.
Her grave is across the road from the door.
(non-denominational, close enough to be Baptist)

So, do I think if you are not Catholic, you are going to
double hockey sticks?

That answer would be NO.

BTW.. Catholicism IS NOT ADJUSTABLE.
about that t'eed me off.
Its kind of funny, although I'm not a believer anymore, when some of the folks on here take a jab at Catholicism/Catholics my immediate seemingly uncontrollable response is to get angry. It only lasts a split second and then its gone but it just goes to show how deeply imbedded that stuff is in your brain.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Its kind of funny, although I'm not a believer anymore, when some of the folks on here take a job at Catholicism/Catholics my immediate seemingly uncontrollable response is to get angry. It only lasts a split second and then its gone but it just goes to show how deeply imbedded that stuff is in your brain.

"although I'm not a believer anymore,"

Nuff said.

Attachments

• da sign.jpg
    da sign.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 26

Israel

BANNED
When I was a child this is pretty much all we'd ever see for dinner on Friday nights as we observed "meatless" Fridays...as some sort of sacrifice. Sitting in front of the TV watching the Three Stooges and Popeye cartoons with a seemingly bottomless bowl of this was hardly (for me) a hardship. Looked forward to it, actually.

And I still often clean up what the great grandkids occasionally leave unfinished in the pot, now. (Just can't find Popeye on Hulu)

Oh, the humanity!

PS Just had to Google the name Ed Herlihy to check my memory...yep...can still hear the dulcet tones of the man who voiced the ads for Kraft products...and especially that pot of gold...Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

Attachments

• kraft.jpg
    kraft.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

matt79brown

When it comes to ''special'' days and doing or not doing I refer to Romans 14. I never was very good at keeping rules of any kind. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of Jesus.

red neck richie

I agree with NChillbilly. And Walt also. On this topic only. I had the same experience as well as view point. I have never celebrated ash Wednesday. Or put ashes on my head. I don't seek out symbolism but truth. BION.

Israel

BANNED
Its kind of funny, although I'm not a believer anymore, when some of the folks on here take a jab at Catholicism/Catholics my immediate seemingly uncontrollable response is to get angry. It only lasts a split second and then its gone but it just goes to show how deeply imbedded that stuff is in your brain.

There's a great difference between holding to religion (and being held by it) and the one who said even this:

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven...

Sometimes I am so ready to take offense at despite against his name I want to call down the fire, and then he reminds me "that's just you taking offense in your own religiosity, it's got nothing to do with me."

Yep, the religious jungle is dark and deep. Someone other is deeper and full of light.

Yet, I'm always rightly reproved when I would turn Jesus into an idol. And my own religiosity tells me "but you are so far beyond that!"

Yep. Dark, and deep.

hummerpoo

Gone but not forgotten
there's a great difference between holding to religion (and being held by it) and the one who said even this:

Anyone who speaks a word against the son of man will be forgiven...

Sometimes i am so ready to take offense at despite against his name i want to call down the fire, and then he reminds me "that's just you taking offense in your own religiosity, it's got nothing to do with me."

yep, the religious jungle is dark and deep. Someone other is deeper and full of light.

Yet, i'm always rightly reproved when i would turn jesus into an idol. And my own religiosity tells me "but you are so far beyond that!"

yep. Dark, and deep.

x2 ::;

WaltL1

There's a great difference between holding to religion (and being held by it) and the one who said even this:

Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven...

Sometimes I am so ready to take offense at despite against his name I want to call down the fire, and then he reminds me "that's just you taking offense in your own religiosity, it's got nothing to do with me."

Yep, the religious jungle is dark and deep. Someone other is deeper and full of light.

Yet, I'm always rightly reproved when I would turn Jesus into an idol. And my own religiosity tells me "but you are so far beyond that!"

Yep. Dark, and deep.
What is even more odd to me is that it was organized religion that lead me away, that I rejected, that I came to believe was more or less a scam.
Yet even still my initial response is to want to defend it.
I cant explain that. Its not logical. Just doesn't make sense.
I do think however it does offer a hint of how difficult it can be to walk away from it. You don't just wake up one day and say "yeah I don't feel like doing this anymore".

Big7

The Oracle

Well, It's in your post.

And as a "although I'm not a believer anymore,"
you started a thread to get goats.

I bit and regret it. That makes me a fool and
you a troll.

Just Sayin'.

Israel

BANNED
What is even more odd to me is that it was organized religion that lead me away, that I rejected, that I came to believe was more or less a scam.
Yet even still my initial response is to want to defend it.
I cant explain that. Its not logical. Just doesn't make sense.
I do think however it does offer a hint of how difficult it can be to walk away from it. You don't just wake up one day and say "yeah I don't feel like doing this anymore".

That mule may be ugly...but she's my ugly mule, and no one else dare say a thing against her(?)

WaltL1

Well, It's in your post.

And as a "although I'm not a believer anymore,"
you started a thread to get goats.

I bit and regret it. That makes me a fool and
you a troll.

Just Sayin'.
You couldn't get any further off the mark.
You are Catholic.
I was Catholic.
You commented how a poster was bashing the Pope and it made you angry.
I commented although I am not a believer anymore I still get angry for a split second when someone takes a jab at Catholicism/Catholics.
That would mean the Catholic teachings are still imbedded in my brain even though I don't follow it anymore.
I don't troll.
Just sayin'.

WaltL1

That mule may be ugly...but she's my ugly mule, and no one else dare say a thing against her(?)
Well that's an interesting way to look it.
Probably not far off the mark either!

matt79brown

I love Walt1's honesty. Dropping out of religion is like being a convicted felon, marked for life. I was deceived by sin. Some folks have been deceived by religion. I think it's easier to escape the real bad rotten immoral sin life that I came from, than the organized ''we're the ones'' hardcore do good religion.