Back from Kentucky

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Just got back from Kentucky and had the time of my life! Got my first bow deer on the first night and saw deer every sit….it was a doe and the only shot I got to take. I never got in the saddle til the last night and I set up about 25 yards from my friend who had some really bad luck shooting left…….really bad luck! At last light on the last night, a few deer came in right in front of him. This time his shot didn’t go too far left and I got to watch him take his first bow deer! I knew if I filmed it my phone light would have came on so I didn’t. Here is a few things I learned or was reminded of in Kentucky
1-When trailing blood at night, leave a nock lit where you started from! Mark the spots you find somehow so you don’t circle back….lol
2-Ozone generators work! NO DOUBT in my mind! I didn’t use one at first , but noticed stark differences in my sits and how the Deer behaved.
3-Find a few trees on the first day, prep the bases if need be and Get in the saddle! Leaners are nice, but nothing beats a saddle for comfort and utility….not even close!
4-dont forget your phone and make sure it’s charged! He forgot his and I went out with about 22%….ugh
5-dont put so much stuff in your pack…..if you didn’t take it out and use it, you didn’t need it to begin with.
6-God, family and country…..Amen!
Tried to play the whole trip by ear as I really haven’t seen these folks in 30+ years, cept 2 years ago at a reunion. On the first night, I was reminded how blessed I am for the family I came from and for the family I have. Without asking, my cousin told me this needs to be an annual thing……..I agreed! It was an amazing emotional time with inner joy and we even went deer hunting!

Bubba_1122

4-dont forget your phone and make sure it’s charged! He forgot his and I went out with about 22%….ugh
5-dont put so much stuff in your pack…..if you didn’t take it out and use it, you didn’t need it to begin with.

Congrats on a great trip. Sounds like a good time was had by all.
For item 4, I’m 66 years old and hunt in some pretty remote places at times (swamps and river bottoms). I’m not comfortable without a well functioning phone. My wife and family is less comfortable (if I’m on property by myself I’ll typically sent pics from onX or Huntstand showing my location to wife and son in law - just in case).
I just don’t go into the woods without a phone charger.
Last year my wife gave me a hand warmer that doubles as a phone charger. It’s great!
Can buy on Amazon for about $25. A standard battery phone charger can be bought for about $20. That and a cord and you’re always ready to go on the phone. In fact I hunted Friday PM and had my phone plugged in the whole time.
On item 5 that’s a constant battle - mostly rooted in what I MIGHT happen to need. I’ve determined in the past couple of days that I’m dumping the back pack and gonna utilize a fanny pack or one of my smaller turkey hunting bags (Tom Teaser or a satchel from Glenda Green) from now on. We’ll see how that goes.
The blessing of family: my weekend hunting is pretty well centered on family these days. Specifically hunt with my grandsons (ages 7 and 10) and my son in law. We have a lot of fun and are building some great memories. I recently retired so I can also hunt on week days while they’re in school. It’s a great situation that I’m much enjoying.
Again, congrats on your great trip (and have fun on the future trips).

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Congrats on a great trip. Sounds like a good time was had by all.
For item 4, I’m 66 years old and hunt in some pretty remote places at times (swamps and river bottoms). I’m not comfortable without a well functioning phone. My wife and family is less comfortable (if I’m on property by myself I’ll typically sent pics from onX or Huntstand showing my location to wife and son in law - just in case).
I just don’t go into the woods without a phone charger.
Last year my wife gave me a hand warmer that doubles as a phone charger. It’s great!
Can buy on Amazon for about $25. A standard battery phone charger can be bought for about $20. That and a cord and you’re always ready to go on the phone. In fact I hunted Friday PM and had my phone plugged in the whole time.
On item 5 that’s a constant battle - mostly rooted in what I MIGHT happen to need. I’ve determined in the past couple of days that I’m dumping the back pack and gonna utilize a fanny pack or one of my smaller turkey hunting bags (Tom Teaser or a satchel from Glenda Green) from now on. We’ll see how that goes.
The blessing of family: my weekend hunting is pretty well centered on family these days. Specifically hunt with my grandsons (ages 7 and 10) and my son in law. We have a lot of fun and are building some great memories. I recently retired so I can also hunt on week days while they’re in school. It’s a great situation that I’m much enjoying.
Again, congrats on your great trip (and have fun on the future trips).

You nailed it Bubba! I share my location with my wife and vice versa. I have a power bank carabiner that I sometimes take. I think I’m gonna leave it with my headlamp, which I never take out….plus xtra batteries. I’m gonna keep the pack in case I get lucky. I’m packing out not dragging.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime ! Hope y’all get to make it a annual affair !
Oh it’s a done deal! Come February, I’ll be putting in a week vacation for the same time, same place! God willing, I’ll go every year from here on out! Another cool thing is it’s on the homestead and hunting from home is epic……also no chance of it getting sold!

uturn

Family Tradition..start somewhere sounds like a great place for one!

Congratulations