Bad timing

I got the voice mail that my new rifle had been delivered as I was en route to our rented cabin in the Smokies. I decided to purchase a Henry BB 45-70 after liking the all weather BB in .45 Colt I picked a couple weeks ago so much.

I'm a huge fan of the shorter barreled big bore lever guns, so I got the H010 with 18.5" barrel, matching the 1895G and .444P I have. I decided on a Leupold VX-R to top it with, and think I have all necessary stuff to mount it as soon as I get it home.

I decided to sell a Marlin 375 I had and a buddy of the buyer of that rifle called immediately afterwards begging me to sell him one of the two I still have, so that moves out the day the Henry arrives.

If the Henry shoots anywhere close to how my Marlin does I'll be a Happy Camper. I'll post some pics when I get it scoped.

The four Marlin 375s I used to own on right, the two to the left side are 336ERs.0131130821a[1]-1.jpg

Last edited:

Dub

I think you'll love the new rifle, too.

That is one sweet scope you are topping it with, too. Hogs, bears and deer are gonna show up well.

I went looking at some of the newer Leupold scopes the other day. Their Firedot reticle is very much to my liking.

I love a 1-4 power scope on a lever gun, too.

I finally got up to Kentucky to pick up the new Henry BB 45-70. I wasted no time mounting the Leupold VX-R I decided to scope it with. I think the compact 1.25-4 looks very good on top of such a compact rifle and it has the nice Firedot #4 reticle, my favorite for low light performance.

Fit and finish of both wood and metal is quite nice. After years of Winchester, Marlin and Browning Lever rifles, it seems odd to not have a half cock position for the hammer. But, I prefer it to a Marlin's "double" safety. It did need the hammer extension I'd ordered, without a doubt.

0403191425a-1.jpg

0403191425.jpg

SC Hunter

My boss has a Henry in 45-70 and he loves it. I've shot it a handful of times and I've decided I'm going to buy one before deer season next year. It's got recoil but nothing ridiculous.

zedex

Gator Bait
I have the 1895 guide gun in 45-70. I prefer using it more than any other rifle I own. It's just so comfortable to shoot.
No scope though. It's just my personal opinion that a scope doesn't look right on a lever gun so its iron sights on this one

I have the 1895 guide gun in 45-70. I prefer using it more than any other rifle I own. It's just so comfortable to shoot.
No scope though. It's just my personal opinion that a scope doesn't look right on a lever gun so its iron sights on this one

I also own an 1895G and a .444P. I used to also have an 1895M, but preferred my BLR in .450, so sold the 1895M.

I am a Marlin fan, but I don't like the double safety the newer ones have, preferring the BLR and Henry in that respect.

While I'll admit to "operator error" because I neglected to push the HBS off as I approached what I thought was a huge dead boar, it still was bothersome to have to do some extra steps before finally firing the killing shot at about 10 feet.

Mvc-009f.jpg

Mvc-001f.jpg

Last edited:

zedex

Gator Bait
I also own an 1895G and a .444P. I used to also have an 1895M, but preferred my BLR in .450, so sold the 1895M.

I am a Marlin fan, but I don't like the double safety the newer ones have, preferring the BLR and Henry in that respect.

While I'll admit to "operator error" because I neglected to push the HBS off as I approached what I thought was a huge dead boar, it still was bothersome to have to do some extra steps before finally firing the killing shot at about 10 feet.

View attachment 967752

View attachment 967753
Yea, the extra steps are a pain and in situations where time isn't a luxury, can be deadly.
As for as your kill, that thing is a hog to reckon with. Nice kill for sure