Bank Angler vs. Boat Angler?

bukhuntr

Thats the thing about anything with a motor. People will go as fast as they possibly can. Just take the Atlanta Interstates, if your not running 75 or 80, your'e gonna get run over. Now strap 250 horses on the back of a bass boat, and that same guy that about put you in the median is out there on the lake, what's he gonna do?

jay sullivent

if a boat fisherman is not running his gas motor i really don't care how close he gets. it's not like they are running the fish off. if i'm on the lake not catching anything and look through my binoculars and see a guy across the way wearing them out, i'm gonna quietly ease on over there. i really don't see how someone easing by you quietly while you are fishing on the bank is gonna hurt anything.

enviroguy

jay sullivent said:
if a boat fisherman is not running his gas motor i really don't care how close he gets. it's not like they are running the fish off. if i'm on the lake not catching anything and look through my binoculars and see a guy across the way wearing them out, i'm gonna quietly ease on over there. i really don't see how someone easing by you quietly while you are fishing on the bank is gonna hurt anything.

Like I said Jay, I didn't have a problem with him fishing the cove, just fishing right on top of me. Whether or not those guys ran the fish off is beside the point. To me, it's a courtesy thing.

As for the second comment, I'll find my own fish thanks. unless invited, I'll leave my fellow fisherman his good luck and wish him well. That's a pride thing.

Oscott

It's been years ago but I was fishing from a dock with my girl friend at the time in a river off the GA coast and these dang kids kept knee boarding back and forth in front of the dock. After several passes I finally lobbed a a big hook and sinker (the shrimp went along for the ride) at the boy on the knee board. It was a good cast and fortunately the kid was a good and got out of the way but they got the message and left us alone after that.

A dumb thing to do on both our parts but hey - young and dumb.

jay sullivent

it's a public lake environguy. they have just as much right to be there as you. don't get me wrong i agree with you for the most part. it's about courtesy. but, they can get close and still be curtious. wait til some bass fisherman runs right in there doing 60 right up to you.people are doing much ruder things than you have described.

Last edited:

enviroguy

jay sullivent said:
it's a public lake environguy. they have just as much right to be there as you. don't get me wrong i agree with you for the most part. it's about courtesy. but, they can get close and still be curtious. wait til some bass fisherman runs right in there doing 60 right up to you.people are doing much ruder things than you have described.

You're right, people can be more rude than the scenario I've described here... And I have had the bass boat doing 60 right into an area I'm fishing. However, in those cases they were going from one place to another, and I have to admit that usually, when they see me they tend to let off a little until they are by. The reason I posted this particular incident was the apparent lack of thoughtfulness and common courtesy. To me it's kind of like getting in someone's face. No matter how polite you are, it's insulting, and you're bound to make them mad.

You and I won't agree on this, but maybe, the next time an angler sitting on top of $30,000.00 worth of fiberglass will just cruise on by and leave the folks who had to walk to thier spot in peace.

You know, it's funny... I'm finally reaching a financial position in my life that I've started considering purchasing a boat. I think I'll find a friendly angler to ride along with before I decide.

enviroguy

Oscott said:
After several passes I finally lobbed a a big hook and sinker (the shrimp went along for the ride) at the boy on the knee board. It was a good cast and fortunately the kid was a good and got out of the way but they got the message and left us alone after that.

A dumb thing to do on both our parts but hey - young and dumb.

Man, do I know the feeling! :hammers: Nottley was being pulled way down at the time and there were rocks everywhere. :smash: The temptation was almost too much.

jay sullivent

boats don't have to cost you a fortune. i'm a low tech redneck. checkout my rig.

Attachments

• small boat.JPG
    small boat.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 109

jay sullivent

is this better? she ain't real fancy but i still love her! fully rigged. vhf radio, bait tank, depthfinder, running lights, plenty of rodholders. ain't even got $3000 in it.

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I have had them see me catch a fish, run over and get my line tangled up in their boat while I was reeling in a striper.(TX) :whip:

I have also been goose hunting in VA and some competing in a bass tournament were bound and determined to fish the decoys for "structure". (aka b@ssholes :D )

Here I have not had a problem yet, knock wood, but in your situation, they have alot more water they can fish compared to you and should respect your spot.

Don't even get me started about the jet skiers :hammers: