Banned From Church

leroy

I like to know why she thought the Pastor was wrong ?

Because in the past they had a board of Deacons per the Church's by-laws, for some reason they were done away with and all power was given to the pastor dont know if the pastor decided this or not. She wanted the by-laws followed and was shunned because of it.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR

jneil

Was it justified? Also, when you were, was it just a pastor's decision or a Board's decision? If it was not justified what recourse or appeal process were you able to take?

The first time I was 7 and I said I believe that animals have souls too and I wouldn't stop believing that so my mother was told to not bring me to Sunday school anymore. When I was a teenager I just asked too many questions.

Huntinfool

any church that "kicks-out" a sinner is no church for me.. Period,, I dont think there should be a silly time line,, that is stupid..

I wasn't gonna comment. But oh well...

You have to understand a major difference here man. It's not that the church kicks out sinners, ok? The pastor (right or wrong) felt that she was causing a problem within the congregation...obviously would be a sin and public one. There is a clear procedure. IF he confronts her in love and asks her to repent and she does so...no harm no fowl. If she refuses, then you move on to the next step. How do we apply it to EVERYBODY since EVERYBODY sins? Well we can't. But if it's gonna be applied, it has to be done across the board anytime someone commits a sin that comes to light as far as I'm concerned. The "discipline" part comes in ONLY when someone is sinning and REFUSES to repent of it. So you don't just discipline every time somebody commits a sin. Heck, churches would never have anybody left or any time to minister.

A church cannot just have people who openly, publicly, blatantly sin...have no remorse and no intention of changing their ways as members or regular attenders. There's a big difference in just condemning somebody who sins openly and kicking them out and confronting them, asking them to repent and change and then accept them again when they do.

I don't know. Some of you guys are not gonna buy it either way. It's the same old "openminded" argument. Everybody should be openminded. There have to be limits guys...boundries.

If the pastor was wrong, then the other bodies...deacons, elders, bishop, congregation...whatever can remove him and fix the issue. Personally, it sounds like this guy had a bit of an ego. Both parties were wrong. She should have handled her end better too. Being bitter and spreading gossip around is not the right way to do things IMO.

leroy

There was a simple solution to the whole matter, but the church went overboard. Simply do not allow her to attend the board meetings and such. Let her still worship as long as she doesn't cause any problems. They went too far in not allowing her to worship during the services.

But if she had a legitimate complaint she had every right to be at the business meetings. I'll probably get blasted but I think some pastors get on a power trip sometimes more so where they have no one to answer to within the Church, example board of Deacons

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
The first time I was 7 and I said I believe that animals have souls too and I wouldn't stop believing that so my mother was told to not bring me to Sunday school anymore. When I was a teenager I just asked too many questions.

That is ridiculous.

jneil

That is ridiculous.

My mother's current Methodist minister thinks so too. He's a great guy. This wasn't a Methodist church that I had the problem with, I can't remember what kind of church it was come to think of it.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
My mother's current Methodist minister thinks so too. He's a great guy. This wasn't a Methodist church that I had the problem with, I can't remember what kind of church it was come to think of it.

You may want to remember so you never darken their door again.:bounce:

grim

Moderate Anarchist and Retired Mod
That would be the sin of pride, that a pastor thinks he is above reproach.

FishFanatic

But if she had a legitimate complaint she had every right to be at the business meetings. I'll probably get blasted but I think some pastors get on a power trip sometimes more so where they have no one to answer to within the Church, example board of Deacons

This is what I would have done as the pastor. Obviously I disagree with the board of deacons request she is making due to a lack of members in the church. I sit down with her one on one and explain where I'm coming from. Explain to her that this is the current decision I am going with. Tell her I would love to have her at the board meetings, but I can't have her there if she keeps bringing up the topic....because there comes a point where it creates problems at the meeting, especially if a decision has already been made. Seems to me that this was the kind of lady who loves to be at the board meetings. She's a busy body...so let her be one. I think she would sacrifice the topic in order to stay at those meetings.

And I agree with the power issue. Sounds like this pastor may have had some issues with that. But I think the more important issue was his lack of leadership skills in this particular case. Her persistance took him out of his comfort zone and he didn't know how to handle it, and made a bad move.

FishFanatic

That would be the sin of pride, that a pastor thinks he is above reproach.

True. Even though he said there were not enough members to create a board of deacons, I still think he could have gathered a couple good men to help him out determining the overall good of the church.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
True. Even though he said there were not enough members to create a board of deacons, I still think he could have gathered a couple good men to help him out determining the overall good of the church.

I would definitely agree with that.

leroy

agreed. But they should not be picked by the pastor but by the entire Church.

CAL

Heard my Grandfarther speak of people being cast out of the church for one reason or another.This was 50 years ago!

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
If the church rules forbid it then let them enforce their rules, its really none of anyones buisiness. With churches popping up all over the place that tickle the ear and cater more to what man wants a different church should not be hard for her to find.

PWalls

If the church rules forbid it then let them enforce their rules, its really none of anyones buisiness. With churches popping up all over the place that tickle the ear and cater more to what man wants a different church should not be hard for her to find.

That's pretty simple to understand ain't it.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51