Beach fishing...

Sargent

I've never really fished from the beach before. I'm taking 3 rods down to Santa Rosa next week.

Any hints, secrets, ritual sacrifices, or knowledge you guys care to share?

Waddams

I used to surf fish regularly in the NC outer banks. It can be a little tricky telling a bite from a wave but you get the feel for it eventually. It can help to wade out to a sand bar (if there is one) so you're a little farther out from where the waves are breaking. The closer you are to an inlet for some kind of spot where shore water is flowing into the ocean.

Beyond that, when tides are running in and out seemed to land more fish activity. When running out and falling, we had best luck. The current running out away from shore carried bits out from shore for bait fish to feed on, which in turn brought the bigger fish looking for them.

Falling tide that hits at dusk was always money. Fishing near an inlet, especially a marshy area with a stream coming in on a falling tide. But sometimes a rising tide in an area with marsh creek that drains into the ocean will brings all the critters in the marsh to the marsh edge as the water level rises will also bring in bigger fish hunting the little guys. Such an area that also has oyster beds exposed on flats at low tide can be a very good area.

JonathanG2013

If you see any schooling fish spoons and swimbaits work well also. Friend caught a 30 pound snook using a swim bait.

Sand Fleas make good bait also.

seachaser

I was just down in the area and all pompano that I caught were on sand fleas and pink fish gum. I will also add I had 3 poles out 1 short front of first bar 2 nd over first bar and 3 out about 125 to 150 yds and all pompano were on the long rod way out. It’s not always that way so try different cast until you find them. The plus to fleas over shrimp to me is less ladyfish.

Big7

The Oracle
One thing to do is fish the out going tide. The bait shop will know. It will also be on the net and the local AM radio.

Rig up with the lightest line you feel comfortable with and a big bobber and 2 hooks.

The bobber is not so much to indicate the bite but to keep you at depth and drag you wayyyyyyy out there on the out going tide. Change the depths with 2 or 3 rods or just move the bobber if you got 1 rod until you get bit. A few bites at the same depth means you are in the right water column.

Try live Pinfish, Goggle Eyes or whatever live fish you can catch on a Sabiki Rig or a string of #14 gold hooks.

Smaller fish won't mess with a 3 or 4 inch bait fish like they will shrimp and squid.

That don't mean you shouldn't try all the other shrimp, squid and cut bait you can get.
Frozen Ballyhoo is real good whole or cut bait.
It's in the Mackerel family. Real greasy and puts out a scent trail.

If I could only get ONE BAIT, it would be Ballyhoo. :wink:

Big7

The Oracle
I was just down in the area and all pompano that I caught were on sand fleas and pink fish gum. I will also add I had 3 poles out 1 short front of first bar 2 nd over first bar and 3 out about 125 to 150 yds and all pompano were on the long rod way out. It’s not always that way so try different cast until you find them. The plus to fleas over shrimp to me is less ladyfish.
D-E-F-I-N-A-T-L-Y !!!

DING DING DING !!! I forgot about Sand Fleas.facepalm:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Save money on "sand spikes" (rod holders) go to HD and get a 10 foot piece of 1 1/4" to 2" (what ever your rod handles will fit in loosely) pvc and cut it into 3 pieces then cut one end of each to a sharp (at least 45deg, angle). 1 1/2 inch x 10 foot pvc is 12.78 at HD ($4.26 each for 3) as compared to a (thin walled) 3 foot Sand Flea brand holder... $29.99 ea.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Save money on "sand spikes" (rod holders) go to HD and get a 10 foot piece of 1 1/4" to 2" (what ever your rod handles will fit in loosely) pvc and cut it into 3 pieces then cut one end of each to a sharp (at least 45deg, angle). 1 1/2 inch x 10 foot pvc is 12.78 at HD ($4.26 each for 3) as compared to a (thin walled) 3 foot Sand Flea brand holder... $29.99 ea.
That's what we use. Got some small ones mounted on the beach wagon/cart too.