Bear City

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Left the cam out 2 weeks, got at least 6 different bears on it, may get interesting...definitely getting a bear box for it or some OC sprray, two licked it. Fayette County, WVIMG_20230914_162740.jpgIMG_20230914_162753.jpgIMG_20230914_162804.jpgIMG_20230914_162829.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Prolly be hibernating on the 30th when season comes in
I take it you harvest them for the meat?

I have never killed one. heck, I've never seen one actually in the woods while hunting. Just a couple of times crossing the road or something like that

Is the meat good or do you have to stew or braise it so it's fit to eat?

Heck, I'll try anything once.

WOODIE13

I have never killed one. heck, I've never seen one actually in the woods while hunting. Just a couple of times crossing the road or something like that

Definitely good eating, like a sweet roast beef, backstrap are awesome. Can and grind the rest, rendered fat is great for cooking and a little bit of everything

You do have to cook it hot enough to kill trichonosis, just like pork

chrislibby88

Fabulous meat. We mainly do roasts, whole bone in cuts, and stew meat. We slow cook most of it, braised or smoked. My wife prefers it to deer meat.

WOODIE13

Fabulous meat. We mainly do roasts, whole bone in cuts, and stew meat. We slow cook most of it, braised or smoked. My wife prefers it to deer meat.
Try it cold packed, quick and easy meal, BBQ, stew, etc...melt in your mouth

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Have y’all had enough cold weather to make them den up by then? I could see the sows and cubs denning up before the boars.

WOODIE13

Have y’all had enough cold weather to make them den up by then? I could see the sows and cubs denning up before the boars.
Saw sow and cub tracks first week in December in the snow, shot a 2.5 yr old male the week of Thanksgiving.

WOODIE13

Our archery season comes in the 30th of September

WOODIE13

Not that many this time, must've been rutting is my guess. Got 5 between 2 cams.

The little one was funny, he was all over the place, flipping, rolling, needed it on video mode.

20230922_162006.jpg20230922_161345.jpg

WOODIE13

A tiny cub, smallest I've ever seen this time of year. Sow looks young also, probably first cub.
20231106_122703.jpg