Bear hunting in North Georgia

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Dana,
LOL:rofl: Sounds like you boys are gonna tear'em up.... Folks for those of you that haver never hunted up here in the mountains, when Dana says to be in good shape ya better heed that advice. It is straight up and down. He may be a old man:D but he can and will walk your tail off. As for all the talk of game everywhere it just ain't gonna happen. There is not a bunch of game as far as numbers go, but if and when ya see something it's usually pretty nice. Sounds like a chance to meet a few Woodyites. Anyway, I personally would leave the bows at home and bring the lead slinger. Also if somebody kills one (bear) get ready for the time of your life:banginghe . Hook'em up Dana, I hope everyone kills one...
Unicoidawg:flag:

base3448

Leave the bows at home please???? I have talked to people that have only killed north bears with a bow and went out with the gun and did not even see bears.

The key word is "game sign" is everywhere. Sure the numbers may not be good, but if the sign is there, you might be in the right spot or not. Thats why they call it hunting.

Hunter skills are on the person, I know people that kill deer like flies on cow patties, with a gun, no fun at all. but use your hunter skills, scent control, camo and shot placement and kill a deer or a bear in bow range, I will call you good and i mean real good. I know people that have killed bears with recurve bows, now thats hunting. woodyite????? please

Let me turn some of u'all on to archery go to www.mathewsinc.com window to the bow forum and you will see pictures and talk about grizzley bears killed by bow hunters in alaska, polar bear, brown bear. In that forum, you better shoot good or your dinner tonight. Every time you walk in the woods the grizzley, and brown are the preditor and humans are on the food chain 100% of the time ,no banging pots there or put your food up, heck they want you. So now is the question, are you hunting or being hunted while carring only a bow????

Last edited:

base3448

10-4, just the woodyite thing. Please everyone in the whole chat room just was call an idiot and stupid. Dana is just trying to teach and help out others and being nice about it. But idiot and stupid "no" Green to the bear woods or mountain "yes" not idiot.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Dude not a hunter....... please you have no idea. As far as the no bow comment...if you are going during a "gun" season taking a bow is kinda backing up. I bow hunt just as much as anyone on here. Also the best way to kill a bear in the mountains is to do it during bow season, when there are not people everywhere. But from reading the posts in this thread they are going during the muzzleloader season and the swallow creek rifle hunt. I personally would take my gun and hunt on Swallow Creek there are some good deer and big bear on that place. Anyway as far as lecturing me on hunting...... rest assured you do not have to do that I have learned over the years from some of the best in the area, Dana included. Anyway it was just a comment.... and by the way I have killed a good many deer with a bow over the years.

Last edited:

Torupduck

Banned
Woodyite is not a dis, it is what we all are called. He was complementing Dana on his skills as far as what I could tell. Now lets get out there and kill some bears!:cheers:

GTBHUNTIN

I was thinkin about bringin my bow, but I just bought a new muzzleloader so thats what I am going to be bringing along with my 30.06 in case we hunt that other wma. Excited to meet everyone that is going to be going on the hunt.

base3448

10-4, I understand. glad to meet a bow hunter. and you are right the best time to get a bear is bow season. No lecture, i just started typing. Sorry took it as a "dis", I understand now, being in the south swamp, you get mesquito bite to much, i think it affects your brain.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Dude the "Woodyite" thing is a nickname used around here for years for people who like to frequent the web page::ke: I am a proud "Woodyite" have been since back in the day when the original site came online. I was in no way degrading anyone. As for learning from Dana I'm all for it, I have known him for years and he's one of my hunting mentors. I have learned a lot from that man and he's one of my best friend's dad.
Unicoidawg

Last edited:

jcarter

Banned
backing up is a good term for taking a bow on a rifle hunt in the north georgia mountains. unless you are strictly a bow-hunter only and dont use firearms. while there may be good numbers of big-game in the mountains and some real wall-hangers, there is also plenty of places for them to be. they dont pattern like your food-plot, lease club animals. bears especially are hard to get a fix on. they wander and go with no perceivable idea of where they are going. ive never hunted dana's kneck of the woods, but if its anything like cohutta then you guys are mostly going hit or miss hunting. mountain hunting takes tons of scouting and where you found sign last week may be null and void this week. with the lack of rain weve had if i were you id find a branch with some water in it in a nice wide hollow somewhere with a couple of leads that slope up onto a nice thick ridge. set up off to the downwind side of the branch on a south facing slope and settle in for the day. this is with the normal west wind pattern. if the temps are very cool in the morning and warming up good in the afternoon then dropping again fast around 4 pm you will have to move off the ridge down into the hollow for your evening hunt to allow for the thermals bringing your scent down. if you get into a hollow with too many leads blocking the wind youll get a swirling effect and your scent will be spread every direction fo hundreds of yards. its a different ballgame up here boys and you better know your stuff if you want some meat on the pole. good luck.

Marlin_444

Thanks for the tips Unicoi and Jcarter... Us low landers can use all of the advice you can give...

Take care and we'll see yah in the woods!

sr.corndog

Bear Hunting in North Georgia

Fellow bear hunters I grew up in Ellijay and the mountains are as these guys have said up and down. I plan on bring my 50 caliber smoke pole a little heavy but acurate. I also plan to camp if someone does kill a bear I will help to drag the beast out. One hunt I remember when we skinned the beast it smelt like a wet dog that was a smell I want ever forget!
Corndogie here plan to camp and hunt! In God's country! :flag:

GTBHUNTIN

CVA wolf 50cal is what I will be using.

Dana Young

Ya'll bring any weapon you want to use it does'nt matter to me. A bow is just as good for bear as a rifle most of the time bears are within easy bow range and a properly placed arrow will put them down pretty quick. Base it sounds like you found several bears but as JCARTER says bear just ramble along and after bow season they don't usually go anywhere near the fields unless there are no acorns to eat, bears will be where the food is and white oaks are there food of choice.

Dana Young

Btw what went on in the chat room. Is someone calling me an Idiot. If so let me know why so I can answer them. I may very well be an Idiot but at least they should be man enough to come face to face with me on the subject. Remember mama always said stupid is as stupid does.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
No Dana, evidently someone thought I was calling everyone a idiot by using the term "Woodyite" in one of my posts.:huh: Just a misunderstanding. I hope everyone kills one of the things good luck. Also take a few of those hogs with yu'ns if ya see'em
Unicoidawg:flag:

any one went up the switch backs north of the jasus fields on the hooch wma.

Last edited:

Marlin_444

Hey All:

Looks like the following are confirmed -

The following are the folks who will be with us at this point -

* Dana Young
* Brian Chambers
* sr.corndog
* Vermont
* Base3448
* Marlin 444
* ngabearhunter (NOTE: to go unless otherwise advised)

Others who are question marks...

* Oklahoma (Dru Jacobs - will know by next week)
* J-Willey (John Darby, my Brother in Law)
* Darkhorse (hope to hear from him soon)

Lucky Seven unless otherwise notified. To circulate Phone Numbers, e-mails next week after my trip to Virginia.

Take care and let me know what you need!

Marlin 444

GTBHUNTIN

hey thanks cooter, looks like we are in for some great hunting and good companionship.

Dana Young

News reported a camp ground in the are we will be hunting has been closed down due to too much bear activity. this could be good or bad for us. good if they leave them alone bad if they trap them and move them.