Beginner fisher

Flanny80

So I have gone fishing plenty of times but I have really only gone fishing in washington state. I recently moved here from there and went out to tybee island to see how I could do. I fished a shrimp lure with 15lb mono. I had a bite but the line broke. Does anyone have any advice on what kind of line to use out here on this coast? Any help will be appreciated.

Drew

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How you set your drag is more important than what kind of line you use. 15 lb should be good for most stuff fishing inshore. I do most of my fishing for trout, flounder, and redfish with 8-10lb line, but in saltwater, I usually put a heavier shock leader about three or four feet long on the end of my line, because of oyster shells, barnacles, fish with sharp teeth, and such.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How you set your drag is more important than what kind of line you use. 15 lb should be good for most stuff fishing inshore. I do most of my fishing for trout, flounder, and redfish with 8-10lb line, but in saltwater, I usually put a heavier (20-30 lb) shock leader about three or four feet long on the end of my line, because of oyster shells, barnacles, fish with sharp teeth, and such.

JackSprat

Imo 15 lb may be a touch heavy, but follow
NChillbilly advice about a shock leader.

IMO making sure you have tied a good knot is more important in saltwater.

Also, if you are using mono, I think name brands are better than generics.

Juan De

I use 17lb Berkley big game and I’m well pleased, I fish the piers a lot and that worked well for me, I would always use a 1/2 weight ( the round ones with attachment points at each end) and I would use a different leader than many would agree with I use power pro that is equal to 8 lb mono and have really good success with trout flounder redfish.