Benelli M2 - Pattern Question

Paid Up

So I thought I would check and see if I can get any info from anyone on this Turkey Board their opinion.

I have a Benelli M2 (12 Ga -3") with a jelly head choke. I have patterned the gun with 4 different turkey loads to find the best one Winchester Supreme Double X in a 3"; 2oz; with 4 shot I cannot find anymore. At 40 yards I had 68 pellets hitting the bird. The other 3 I tried where anywhere from 33 holes to 61.

Any suggestions on a new load to try?

Whats the normal range to shoot and whats the normal holes in the target?

fountain

If you want to stay with lead, go with the winchester longbeards. 5 or 6 shot

If you want to step up and go with a little harder hitting shot/load, then look into the having 13 6 or 7 shot. The 3" 2oz #6 is hard to beat. The 7s will look good on paper, but are on the line (for me) as far as penetration is concerned. They are good to 40 for sure, but if you misjudged and he was at 50 or 55, then it could become iffy.

GAarcher

I have same gun with a Carlson longbeard choke. Agree totally with u trying the longbeards. I'm using #6 shot and love the results.

JMB

I'd try some different loads. My M2 shoots Longbeard 5s (1 3/4oz) with a Carlson LB .665 choke. It doesn't like other Winchester loads at all while my old 870 SP loves the High Velocity 1 7/8 oz #5s. I had to play around with several loads to find one that worked in the Benelli. Now if I can just get it to actually cycle every time...

1982ace

My m2 is paired with Indian creek choke and shooting longbeards #5 at the moment. Hevi 13 patterned well too.

280 Man

Banned
Longbeard #5's should do what you need but If you REALLY want performance get some TSS #9's! This stuff is AWESOME but outlandishly expensive!

I used it last year in a 20 ga but I am using 3 inch #5 Longbeards in my 870/12 ga this year! I've crushed two gobblers with it so far! Indian Creek .665 choke! Picture is 40 yds20200329_182902.jpg