Berrien county Alapaha river

Whitetailer

Gonna be on the property a few days. Seems as it will be warmer that I would like!!! Will be hunting the 4-5-6-7.

Whitetailer

Whitetailer

warm,humid,foggy.

Hunted a few days last week and saw two deer. Both six points. One was fairly wide and I was sure it was an eight, but no. The morning temperatures were 55 deg. and the afternoon temps were 74 deg. each day, but it was not uncomfortable. The fog was so thick in the morning I could not see until the sun got up enough to make the fog rise at 8:00 am plus. Losing the first hour of shooting light was frustrating, as I could see maybe 35 yards the first hour. Saw both buck on two different food plots in the afternoon. Our plots are looking great after planting we over seeded them and fertilized them twice. They are now over a foot tall with grains, brassicas and we used a variety of throw and grow seed. Now it looks like it is cooling down. The river was up four feet too according to the river gauge on Rt. 82.

Whitetailer

sportsguy

I'm with you whitetailer, weather was rough the past 5 days deer weren't moving much in Willachochee saw some does but that was it. Did the rut hit in Berrien yet ?

Whitetailer

Oh of course the first rut is over!! It was with out a doubt "SOFT". The one buck I saw had darkened hocks which tells me he was in the rut a while back, but still "tobacco" stained hocks. This next week's cold weather should kick off any second rut, just going with the numbers if the first rut was around the second week in November. This season no one witnessed any mad dog rut action on my property such as chasing, etc. Just historically the first rut I have observed is approximately Nov. 2 - 17.

Good Luck with the rest of the season.

Whitetailer

spearjunky

headed back up the 18 to the 21 with a wounded warrior who has never really hunted but once hoping for good weather

sghoghunter

Spearjunky hows the hog population look on your place? I hunt a couple places on the west side of the river from you

spearjunky

Nada haven't seen any while I was on this club since 09 buddy next to us had 1 on pic and killed him crazy cause r place has water and buts up to a river / swamp

Whitetailer

Big water.

The river gauge site says the Alapaha River is up from 209' [which is dead low] to 222', meaning the river has risen fourteen feet!!??!!????....:(

Man there must have been a shot load of rain. Can anyone confirm this?

Whitetailer

spearjunky

Went up last weekend and got ran off by rain crazy thing was I seen a buck chasing,and the guy I took up witch was a wounded warrior and his son both killed deer also fresh scrapes everywhere

bam_bam

The river gauge site says the Alapaha River is up from 209' [which is dead low] to 222', meaning the river has risen fourteen feet!!??!!????....:(

Man there must have been a shot load of rain. Can anyone confirm this?

Whitetailer

A shot load of rain is a understatement. I got almost 10 inches of it in just 3 days.

Whitetailer

Big water.

Thanks for confirming what I already knew guys. The river gauge does not lie, I just had not heard any chatter for a while. My son is going up this weekend and he may not be able to get below the "top" three hundred acres with the water up like this. Thankfully I had a good season with my two buck.

Good Luck,

WHitetailer

billy336

I was gonna head up too, now I don't know. Russ, you tagged out? Sweet, didn't know that. River looks to have peaked and is trickling downwards.

Last edited:

Whitetailer

Billy,

This weekend? Four is going up with a couple of non hunting buddies. There will still be plenty to hunt.

I'll call ya.

Russ/Whitetailer

Four

Looking to go up with a couple buddies this weekend, (friday to sunday) Looks like it's going to be relatively warm at 75* on saturday.

Also a 50% chance of rain saturday... we'll see.

billy336

Good chance I'll be there too. Yeah weather looks less than stellar indeed. May even turn into a duck hunt. See ya friday

Four

Weather forecast is looking better than it has been all week.

I'm GOING.

I'll be leaving just before noon today.

sportsguy

everything is flooded

Was up in willachochee for the past 4 days and our property is 90 % under water, could only hunt 2 out of 14 stands. Tried to get to one of the stands and sunk my atv. Hope it goes down by turkey season

Whitetailer

Oh yeah sportsguy...

I got real busy with work and could not go up. I'm tagged out with two buck and just needed to bring my atv home. I knew the river was way up and from two decades experience on this property ,I knew that the lower 80% was probably underwater. My son went up with a few guys and four other guys ended up there too. I told them the river gauge said the river was up 12 feet, but Noooooo, they did not listen. Son took the atv for a ride in the dark first evening there to check the water and, maybe he will tell the result:hair: They shot clay birds and smoked meat on the smoker and perhaps even ingested some adult beverages around the fire pit. But it was an effort in futility as far as the deer hunting went.
Does your property border the Alapaha River? I have 2 plus miles on the Alapaha River just south of Rt. 82.. As pretty as could be when the water is down.

Whitetailer

Last edited:

Four

Son took the atv for a ride in the dark first evening there to check the water and, maybe he will tell the result:hair:
Whitetailer

Yea.. lets just say I swam in the alapaha river, even though it was a half mile from the river proper..... Do i need to get some shots?

Good news is the ATV seems to be working well :cheers:

Just got home, didnt see any deer. Still, there are worse ways to spend a weekend. :banana: