Berrien county Alapaha river

sghoghunter

Russ i hunted sat morning and saw nothing but a bobcat at daylite. Went back that evening and saw 6 with a decent lil buck right at dark then went back sun evening and saw one doe

Whitetailer

sghog...

I know one factor is that the place is so grown up from when we had lots of nice hardwood hammocks to hunt.

As I said, all the clear cuts are 4 to 7 foot tall native "stuff", weeds, saplings, including mostly Dog Fennels, that you just could not see a deer if they were there right in front of you

But, the time frame I hunted is usually the TIME!

None of the little buck I saws had darkened hocks. And the only chasing I saw was the last day when it got cold.

Russ

sghoghunter

The rut has been scewed up the past year or so but I think its over or the first one anyway. Either way I will be back over there waiting sat morning:shoot:

Whitetailer

sghog...

Yeah,

It is a timing thing with fawn birth according to the biologists. I have seen rut activity meaning bucks chasing doe from early November through the end of season,. I shot a 10 point chasing a doe years ago on January 13th. The day before the season ended that year. There can be three specific and separate ruts. That is if a doe is not serviced in the first or second.
I have had success with rutting deer the first week of December too. Hey, I am not a scientist, just have had this property 20 years and see things.

Russ

georgiaboy

I was down and saw a good bit of activity. Not a lot of deer seen but bucks were out in daylight and cruising. The does all acted skittish. Didn't see any come to corn but they did hit the peanuts eating volunteer plants.

Whitetailer

More rain?

How much did it rain the 19th with the front moving though? The river gauge on Rt. 82 has the Alapaha River way up about 8 feet or more.

Whitetailer

way to go...

Nice buck wanderlust. Can not see the hocks in the picture, was he dark on the tarsal glands? I will be on the property tomorrow after noon for a few days.

Whitetailer

spearjunky

Nashville

Deer have been moving some the past few days we shot 2 buck a smaller 8 and my daughter's we didn't recover after 4 hours of looking and I did make a call to a tracking dog and he didn't return my call if anyone knows of anyone in barrien cty please post it I don't want to lose another one bad thing was hers was bigger then mine

Whitetailer

Good to see some nice buck taken recently. Congratulations to all on the success. I have not seen success myself. Hunted Mon pm, Tue, Wed, Fri and Sat.
Mon pm saw a decent buck at 150 yards in a clear cut that was grown up tall as they all are. Glimpsed him three times for a second each time. The water came up making it impossible to get to river bottom stands and other stands that were cut off by sloughs. Used my marsh boots and just got into a stand Friday afternoon. Heard chasing in a slough as deer bounded through the water and even some grunting at about 40 to 50 yards. Exciting, but never saw them. Sat. am I saw two deer briefly as they left the tall cut over and went back into the pines. My son (Four) sat in a pine row that has been hot and cold with deer sightings. He put his time in sitting all but two hours mid day on Sat. He saw a four point in the morning at 11:00 and in the evening saw two doe as light faded in the woods. As he walked the 150 yards out to where he had parked his ATV, a large bodied deer walked through a water filled slough and was 20 yards from the ATV and bounded off. Looking towards next season to do whatever it takes to spray or mow clear cut areas for better visibility.

Whitetailer/Russ

Whitetailer

spearjunkie

Done for the year??? Well, The son and another guy want to go up after the first of the year and my atv is still on the property.... But, if the river is way up I may pass. Or if I book work I will not turn it down. So, I may be up and may not. After the season I had last year, I still have venison left, but I would like it to work out to get back up. If I do not make it one of the guys can bring my atv back for me.

So after all of that, Darn if I know:biggrin2:

Whitetailer