Best Youtube Channels, Blogs, etc. for Deer Hunting Education

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I have been hunting since I was 13 yrs old and I will turn 46 in August!
There is nothing that they can teach me that I already know!

1. Find the does and you find the bucks
2. The wind is your friend or enemy depending on which way it’s blowing!

All I need to know!

For younger children and hunters knowledge is power!

rugerfan

As said before, get out there. You can watch all the videos you want, but nothing beats boots on the ground, find the deer sign. Find the tracks, the worn down trails, find the food, and find the water.

I am certainly no expert, but after 20 years of hunting public land, it is starting to come together. It is like the light bulb turned on.

Pay attention to other hunters in the area, and avoid them. Look for areas that people do not attempt to hunt. You would be surprised at spots passed up because there is no place to park or pull off the road, and deer are 50 to 75 yards off the road.

Play the wind, if the winds is not in your favor for a particular day, move.

Failure is the best teacher, but learn what you did wrong.

Best of luck

As far as your question about videos.

I have been watching the THP and the Hunting Beast mostly.

Last edited:

Waddams

Wanted to check in. Spent the day scouting and driving a bunch of dirt back roads. Took my son along with me. He's not crazy about all the effort that goes into hunting, but it was good father/son time.

Main goals were boots on the ground to figure out access to a few spots and check them for sign, and then drive a bunch of dirt back roads and make sure my 2003 Frontier (2WD, limited slip) could handle everything it would encounter.

Found one location after walking a mile into the woods that had multiple game trails intersecting, old rubs, a few scrapes that looked like they were still being used. Even found what looked like a small area with beds. There were all these little grape looking fruits on the ground, I'm not a tree guy, don't know what they were. Some were turned to a brownish purple color. It was by a creek, sloping up to a hardwood ridge. I'd wanted to go deeper, it's an area I saw on aerials and backs up to private agriculture. There's a seasonal forest road that opens during the season and has rock base that's plenty good for my truck that will cut the walk, and I think I can just wear my rubber boots and walk up the creek easily enough to get deeper next time.

That was the only place I really stomped in the woods in detail. The rest was trying to make sure other spots on aerials were accessible in my truck. Last season, there was a spot that was great, but the "road" for access was named a "slip and slide" for trucks by my son. I never got stuck, but am trying to broaden the spots I'm familiar with.

There was another spot we got out and explored a little. Started seeing some signs quickly, didn't bother to explore in detail. Had other places I wanted to drive by.

All in all, figured out access to 7-8 areas of interest in ONF, and 2 in Piedmont NWR. Intending to hit archery hard this year before the orange army hits the woods. Will likely go back on a few more scouting trips. My son wanted to be home by a certain time for something he had planned with his friends, and it was hot as blazes with very little cloud cover, so we knocked off scouting with plenty of daylight left.

I've also hunted out in Elbert. Wife and I like to stay at the Yurt Camp at Bobby Brown Park, right on the lake. It's nice to go for a weekend, I get to go hunt during the season, and come back dinner being ready, a cocktail already mixed and ready to pour over ice, and AC'd structure. If the weather is good for it, a dip in the lake to cool off is mighty nice. There are multiple WMA's and Corp properties around the lake that are out there. One of those is where the slip and slide road is, but I want to check a few other places closer to the yurt camp and scout them out too, so we're planning a yurt weekend again before the season starts. She'll do teacher stuff like she always does, grade her papers, and I'll go stomp new areas.

Last year, I basically scouted two public properties. One looked great, and holds a ton of deer, including some monster bucks I had on camera, but it's surrounded by private hunting leases held by out of stater's. I don't know what they do, but they don't work in the fall. On 2 game camera's, I didn't have a daylight photo of a deer between Oct. 1 and Feb. 27th. The lease guys were in there literally every day. The pressure drove them all nocturnal (I think), and wherever the deer were during the day, I never found 'em! So I figured I'd put some time in to try to find more options and hit archery season harder when there are less guys in the woods.