better budget rifle?

breathe in

not real knowledgeable on ar's, anyone have experience or an opinion on either of these two rifles?

a little 'ive gathered, some have stated some db's don't like to cycle steel case ammo. some say no prob with steel?
Anderson has a pretty good rep for their parts. (lowers?)
db's are made in USA. Anderson is made in ketcucky, but don't know if all the rifle is?

just looking for something to plink around with, not hunting or match shooting.

Diamondback db15.

Anderson Manufacturing am15.

I realize these are budget/starter/cheaper guns and there are better out there, but looking for feedback for these two.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...lack-semi-automatic-rifle-30-rounds/p/1527570

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...tic-modern-sporting-rifle-301-rounds/p/p52815

Gator89

Of those two, I would go with the Diamondback. The chrome -moly barrel is good.

I do not like the gas block on the Anderson.

transfixer

Nothing wrong with either, I don't have any personal experience with Diamondback, I use Anderson upper receivers and lower receivers on most of my builds, nothing wrong with Anderson, I don't care for the handguard or gas block style on that Anderson though, Anderson barrels aren't really known for exceptional accuracy, but are fine for general use. of those two I'd probably choose the Diamondback simply because of the style of handguard. Pretty sure the Anderson also has a chrome moly barrel as well by the way.

transfixer

Either should be okay. I only hear of Anderson issues when it comes to parts for builds.

I don't use Anderson bcg's or triggers on mine, mostly because I'm usually opting for a little higher quality, and I don't use their barrels, but for most guys general use their stuff is fine, I've compared their stripped uppers and lowers with other brands, some of which sell for three times what Anderson does, and there is virtually no difference, so I spend the extra money I save on bcg's, triggers, barrels and hanguards.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Both are 1:8 twist, chrome moly barrels...If the DB doesn't have the turned down place in front of the gas block I would get it. The hand guard alone is worth the price difference

Ray357

AWOL
not real knowledgeable on ar's, anyone have experience or an opinion on either of these two rifles?

a little 'ive gathered, some have stated some db's don't like to cycle steel case ammo. some say no prob with steel?
Anderson has a pretty good rep for their parts. (lowers?)
db's are made in USA. Anderson is made in ketcucky, but don't know if all the rifle is?

just looking for something to plink around with, not hunting or match shooting.

Diamondback db15.

Anderson Manufacturing am15.

I realize these are budget/starter/cheaper guns and there are better out there, but looking for feedback for these two.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...lack-semi-automatic-rifle-30-rounds/p/1527570

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...tic-modern-sporting-rifle-301-rounds/p/p52815
Anderson makes great rifles. Some of their early stuff was bad, but now they are squared away. As far as shooting steel case goes, most high end ARs won't shoot it reliably.

transfixer

For plinkin and shooting for fun, any of those will be fine, PSA, Anderson, Diamondback, S&W's can be found sometimes around the same price, a couple of companies out there doing polymer lowers I would probably shy away from, not sure the technology is there for AR lowers the same way it is for pistols, it might be , but I'm not willing to take the chance yet.

Liberty

Just don’t get a Radical upper. I tried one and it throws patterns with several different loads. I bore scoped it, and it looks like someone “rifled” the barrel with a sharpish rock. I’ve been happy with Anderson products, but I haven’t tried any of their barrels. Sometimes you can find good used uppers, especially if you don’t mind a carry handle.

Tight Lines

Either of those will be fine as a starter, and I'd agree I'd take the Diamondback over the Anderson due to the hand guard. If you do any modifications or shooting at all, you'll adapt either rifle anyway to what you want so...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Another vote for PSA. I have two, both with FN barrels, and they run flawlessly with either brass or steel.

Liberty

Another vote for PSA. I have two, both with FN barrels, and they run flawlessly with either brass or steel.

How can you tell if you are getting a FN barrel before you order? Do they advertise it is so? Would you please tell us where the marking is so we can be on the lookout on used uppers?

breathe in

How much better? Only thing I could gather at a quick glance was 1/7 twist and some had stainless barrels?

I looked around and saw some kits, too many for me to figure out what the differences are. Are y’all referring to those kits or literally putting together an upper and a lower already assembled?

How hard to put together? I’m fairly handy/mechanical but never put a gun together. Easy as following the directions or watching a YouTube video? Is everything you need in the kit?

Y’all have one you like in the $500-$600 range? I like the look of the rail guns and want a 16”.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How can you tell if you are getting a FN barrel before you order? Do they advertise it is so? Would you please tell us where the marking is so we can be on the lookout on used uppers?
They will usually say in the description.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How much better? Only thing I could gather at a quick glance was 1/7 twist and some had stainless barrels?

I looked around and saw some kits, too many for me to figure out what the differences are. Are y’all referring to those kits or literally putting together an upper and a lower already assembled?

How hard to put together? I’m fairly handy/mechanical but never put a gun together. Easy as following the directions or watching a YouTube video? Is everything you need in the kit?

Y’all have one you like in the $500-$600 range? I like the look of the rail guns and want a 16”.
Yep, get an assembled upper and lower. Takes about five seconds to put them together.

breathe in

And thanks to all that replied.

A few have mentioned you don’t like the gas block on the Anderson. Just the looks or something mechanical?

Tight Lines

FN barrel is marked on the barrel and typically in the description...for $499 I doubt it is an FN barrel. Putting an upper and a lower together is as easy as putting a trailer hitch in the receiver...if you can do that, you can put an upper and a lower together...there are infinite options, so I'd just do your research and read about each component...Pew Pew Tactical, Truth About Guns, etc. are good places.

Gas blocks can be pinned, clamped, and have numerous configurations. Adjustable clamped is my preference, but it just depends on how hard they are to remove and also what hand guard will fit over them...there are low profile, etc.

Tight Lines

Stainless barrels are typically more accurate, but don't last as long. For a typical shooter, they will last the life of the shooter...

They are more accurate, typically because they are completed in the same location and by one company as opposed to completed in stages in different locations...

I have both. 4 CrMo barrels and 2 SS barrels...