Rifle and Factory Load for Elk

JR924

Have a 2023 guided hunt planned for bull elk in Colorado. Once in lifetime hunt so want to stack the odds in my favor. Guide says shots from 50-300 yds in rugged hilly country and recommends 270 and above. Due to range, only have a 8 mm Yugo and 8 mm M63 Tanker Mauser that could work. Knight Disc Elite in 50 cal and Ruger 77/44 ruled out. Do not want to sporterize the mausers and would only take out the Yugo due to rough conditions. Really do not want to stock another rifle caliber. Plan to practice with 8 mm military surplus and save elk ammo for sighting in, compare drop and hunting. My questions:

1. Is the Yugo capable of a 300 yard shot on a elk. Don't want to spend the money to scope it, bed it or trigger work if odds against it being a good shooter (<4" group at 300 yds). Bore looks pretty good. Think it was just stored in an armory.

2. Only possible 8 mm elk factory load I have and can still find is the S&B 196 gr SPCE. I have plenty of that ammo. Chuck Hawks says it is suitable for elk. 2 posters on other websites said the bullet did not hold together well in elk. Even a S&B rep said the bullet is marginal for elk. Energy and velocity is good but bullet construction seems suspect. Norma makes a 8 mm bonded factory load 196 gr (Orynx) (https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/no...80042-8x57-oryx-bonded-196-rdbx-p-148045.html) but cannot get it and looks bad to be in stock long term. One option I found is to use a licensed handloader like Heartstopper ( https://www.heartstopperammunitionsllc.com/product-page/8mm-mauser-175-gr-sierra-pro-hunter). They also do custom loads so looks like the best option so far. Would appreciate any recommendations of proven elk loads (100 rounds) I can buy now.

3. If I can find suitable 8 mm elk ammo, plan to buy a Sauer & Sohn S100 Classic in 8 mm mauser.
(https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/sau...tic-ergo-max-stock-blued/FC-810496020686.html). Gun has good reviews, reasonably priced and guaranteed 1 MOA. They are also in stock. May even buy the Sauer even if the Yugo is a good shooter. Cannot let such a good excuse go by to the wife that my once in a lifetime elk hunt is in jeapordy if I don't get a new gun. Have not found any new budget rifles in 8 mm.

4 Last option would be to buy something like a Tika in 30-06 or 308. Not keen on stocking another caliber.

Appreciate any insight, recommendations and leads. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

John

Dub

Have a 2023 guided hunt planned for bull elk in Colorado. Once in lifetime hunt so want to stack the odds in my favor. Guide says shots from 50-300 yds in rugged hilly country and recommends 270 and above.

4 Last option would be to buy something like a Tika in 30-06 or 308. Not keen on stocking another caliber.

Appreciate any insight, recommendations and leads. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

John

Have a 2023 guided hunt planned for bull elk in Colorado. Once in lifetime hunt so want to stack the odds in my favor. Guide says shots from 50-300 yds in rugged hilly country and recommends 270 and above.

John

Congrats on the awesome hunt, John.

Once in a lifetime hunt.

Bull elk hunt.....guided.

Once in a lifetime hunt.

My opinion.......come off the hip for a .30'06, scope it with some suitable glass and get yourself a quick-adjust shooting stick.......and start practicing now.

Shoot that thang from field positions........shoot that thang often.......go out West and shoot that thang into a once in a lifetime bull elk.

Congrats on an awesome hunt to look forward to.

Get the new rifle, scope, sling and bipod.

Big7

The Oracle
Go with the 8X57 and the Norma.
Privi- Partisan is also loaded to 8X57 pressure.
Roughly equivalent to 30-06

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
For the money spent sporterizing the Mauser you could buy a New Savage 110 rifle and scope package in 308 or '06, use it for the hunt and sell it when done if you so desire.
Used rifles are out there that will save you some $ also. But for a once in a lifetime hunt I wouldn't be hesitant to get exactly what I'd need. T/C Compass rifles are accurate and affordable also.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Go over to the Accurate reloading forum. Lots of European, africa and down under guys. They will have more experience with this caliber and what bullets to use for larger game.

Push comes to shove. Bulletheads post is a very reasonable option.

trial&error

Granted ammo is scarce right now, but if I was going on your hunt I would purchase something more common and get it all tuned up. If it is once in a lifetime make it count.

lampern

8MM Mauser will kill an elk

Jim Corbett in India used a 7mm Mauser to kill leopards, tigers and lots more

Shooting 300 yards or more, get a scope

JR924

Thanks for the responses. Good advice and believe all the recommendations will work. Down to personal preference. Looking like I may go with 8 mm ammo from Heartstopper. Talked to him and he sounds like a honest vender. He says he buys the material and charges 30% over for the labor plus shipping. His costs sound reasonable. The 175 grain load that he has in stock goes at 2400 fps and uses the Sierra 175 grain pro-hunter bullet. The bullet reviews looks suitable for elk at 300 yards. However, he said he will work up a load for me for what I want. He is looking at other premium bullets like the accubond (he likes these) and see if he can get a 195 - 200 grain bullet at 2500 fps. Says cost is same for 20 or 100 bullet except shipping. Going to give me a recommended load and price. His experience is mostly east coast game so not strong on recommendations for elk. Anyway seems a sure thing I can find something that shoots well in the new Sig Suaer 8mm gun, good for elk and close to ballistics of the 8 mm ammo I have for practice. Will still chase after the Norma Oryx but not hopeful. I am also interested in the Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06 but maybe later when I have more money. TC Compass, Tika and Savage 110 all look like accurate reasonable cost guns and is still an option except this stinkin ammo shortage makes me want to stock more with fewer calibers. I am afraid of used guns as thinking somebody may be unloading a non-shooter they are frustrated with. Thanks again. Let you know how it turns out.

JR924

Good point. Since I am driving, I will take my ruger 77/44. At least I could hunt to 100 yard. I think I will also mail 20 rounds of 8 mm ammo to the guide as precaution. Thanks

HughW2

You didn’t state your abilities with the 8mm. Do you feel CONFIDENT with it at 200-300 yards? I know the cartridge can be shot at that distance; but it is not a typical elk round. And best of luck finding some on the shelf in Colorado if your bags get delayed.
You would be MUCH better off with a .30-06 and I would even suggest looking at .300 Win Mag.
How much money are you planning on spending on the trip? You are correct that most GA hunters consider elk a top shelf experience (once in a lifetime). Make sure your rifle is up to the task and don’t cut corners.
A .30-06 or .300 mag is much easier to shoot at distance and either will have adequate power to drop an elk.

Good luck and best wishes for an awesome hunt.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My in-laws are western hunters from the high plains of northern NV. They hunt NV, WY and ID. They kill elk, mule deer and speed goats regularly. There’s nothing heavier than a 30-06 in their safes. BILs prefer .270s and 7MM08s. FIL totes the 06.

They seem to do ok.3DAD4A5C-8200-42F8-9963-0E092D153EEB.jpeg45464FFF-3B4B-4CEA-A6F7-02B1A2955BC7.jpegD9332269-D33A-458C-BB4F-BBF2638032C5.jpeg8C8697E9-7A8B-46EF-B704-E8F9D3CC1048.jpeg5CD3AB86-AED6-49BA-862C-88E372508D9D.jpeg

SC Hunter

Find a used Remington 700 in 30-06 or 270. I've bought and sold more guns than I can remember and have never got one that was shot out or wouldn't shoot. Put a good scope on that rifle you can find a VarixIII 4.5-14X50 for a good deal if you look around in the privately owned market. Buy one in the box unused but at a discounted price. Go to Barrow's, Chuck's or where ever you need to go to get the ammo to practice with. Buy 10 boxes of the ammo you plan on shooting and practice shooting from as many different ranges and positions that you can come up with.

When you get back if you want to sell the gun sell it and use the money to buy ammo for your 8mm's. I say buy a 30-06 because you know anywhere you go you'll be able to find appropriate ammo for elk for that caliber. I'd mail the guide 2 boxes of ammo, pack 3 boxes of ammo in 2 different bags. Expect the unexpected and if I'm going on a dream hunt I'm not cutting corners with things like that.

rosewood

Not sure what the final price will be for that custom ammo, but my thinking is, a few boxes of custom ammo may cost more than a used gun. I bet 75% of the guns I own were used and many of them are tack drivers.

As someone else said, you can always sell the gun you bought after the hunt. Pick up a 30-06, 7mag or the like and go with it.

Does you 8mms already have scopes on them? You are greatly limited in range if you use irons, but if irons, factory 8mm ammo would be fine at those distances. If you plan on streatching it out, you would need to scope those rifles, which if not already drilled and tapped is going to cost more $$. Most all modern guns are already drilled and tapped and many come with a scope.

Rosewood

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
So i went and carefully read your first post.

Unless your unusually talented. You should not be shooting a "non" scoped mauser at 300 yards. I doubt most people could do it at 200. (ethically at a animal)

Go get you a scoped 30-06. Get a hold of some 180 grain ammo and be done with it.

Nimrod71

The first thing I see to address is bullet drop. I have been working on shooting 350 yds. with M40 308 using Sierra 168 Match Kings running at 2,717 fps. The drop from a 100 yd. zero is right at 20 inches. I expect you would need to do a lot of practicing with a military 8 mm to get proficient enough to go on a life time hunt. If your rifle has not been modified for scope use and long distance shooting you will spend enough on it to purchase a Savage rifle. Your rifle will need to be drilled and tapped for scope, the bolt handle will have to be turned down and your safety lever will need to be replaced.

I have killed a number of elk with my 300 and 7 mm Mag. A number of hunters I have hunted with used 30-06 and a couple used 270, they killed elk too. You need a rifle you have faith in and one that has the power to put a 400 to 800 lb. elk down with one shot. Do Not Count On getting more than one shot. Like with deer shot placement is a key to bringing home your elk.

I know you are spending a lot of money for this hunt, what's a couple hundred more dollars for and up graded rifle?

ChidJ

To answer your question, the mauser is capable of shooting accurately (most people aren't, though) to 300 yards but hear me out. If this is a once in a lifetime hunt, I would leave nothing on the table; nothing to chance. There are plenty of ideas about what is ideal and I won't try to sway you one way or another. I'll only point out that you yourself seem to recognize that running what you've got is a compromise.

You've got a year to find the ideal tool for the job whatever it might be. It would be awful for you to go approach your once in a lifetime hunt and walk away empty handed or sorely disappointed and for the rest of your lifetime wonder if it was the guns fault or if you had a better tool it would have turned out differently.

The flip side to that is, if you decided you were gonna bring a sling and rocks, more power to you. I'd wish you well. Just giving my point of view. I know a whole new rifle setup can be expensive but so can an out of state elk hunt. And if it was a gift, then better send a follow up note to Santa for a shiny new rifle.

If it were me, and I was dirt poor but I had won a hunt or something, I'd be asking all my buddies what they had that I could possibly borrow. A ton of other things are coming to mind but I'm sure most have already swiped along by now haha

SC Hunter

@ChidJ I have been thinking about this since I posted above. Thinking what if I wasn't able to swing a new rifle into the budget AND the trip. Like you said I'd be asking my buddies if I could borrow a gun. If my buddies came to me asking to borrow a gun for an elk hunt I'd just about let him pick what he wanted to carry honestly.

If your buddy will let you borrow one give him some meat and buy him some ammo or whatever. I'd definitely not want to be limited by a rifle when a beautiful bull elk rolled out of the timber at 275 yards.