Big cook coming up on Saturday

Lindseys Grandpa

That's gonna be a bigtime job right there.

What are you planning on cooking ?
BBQ , stew and slow .Gonna cook 16 butts day before , pull cool down in ice bath and bag. Will heat in foil pans with some juice. Heat stew in large pot. Venue only has 3 stoves .

Reactions: Dub

Longhorn 16

Focus on the task and trust your instincts. I had a situation a year ago where I agreed to cook for about 100 people. Then a jack wagon in the booster club advertised “all you can eat bbq” if you buy a $7 t-shirt. Bam now we are over 600 people. It was butts so not that big of a swing for the meat. The sides, buns, sauce, plates etc was a challenge in a 24 hour window.

Plan it out and I am sure you will be successful.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
In fact, I have already been approached about cooking 35 briskets for one of their annual dinners at the Temple. Evidently their normal guy can't do it anymore. 35 briskets!!?? Let that one sink in for a minute.

:hair::hair::hair::hair:

That's gonna require some major hep and somebody ain't gonna get much sleep!

GA1dad

SWEET SUCCESS!!! I saw many going back for thirds!!Now that I've showered and gotten settled, I had a plate myself,,,,, not bad!!! Was way too busy to think of photographs, but others got some that I will share as they are sent to me. Oh, and now I've officially worn a tie for the fourth time in my life.

20180803_173352.jpg20180804_122927.jpg

bilgerat

Senior
looks good!! If you want to do the 35 briskets I have a smoker trailer I rent out. it will smoke 18 to 20 10lb briskets at a time

GA1dad

looks good!! If you want to do the 35 briskets I have a smoker trailer I rent out. it will smoke 18 to 20 10lb briskets at a time

Thank you brother! The new cooker I just ordered has a capacity of about 40 medium sized pork butts. Not sure what that will translate to in briskets,,,,

bilgerat

Senior
depends on how big the briskets you get, I like a smaller 13 to 15lb ones , smoke in less time and take up less rack space, 13 to 15lb briskets take up about twice the room a butt will

Dub

SWEET SUCCESS!!! I saw many going back for thirds!!Now that I've showered and gotten settled, I had a plate myself,,,,, not bad!!! Was way too busy to think of photographs, but others got some that I will share as they are sent to me. Oh, and now I've officially worn a tie for the fourth time in my life.

View attachment 938922View attachment 938923

Heck yes !!!!!

Well done. You did it up bigtime and delivered the goods.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Man! :clap: That was a heckuva undertaking, but I knew you could pull it off. I would be completely and utterly lost trying to cook on that scale.

GA1dad

Me and my good friend Joe manned the grill. Our goal was to cook on 2/3 of the grill and leave 1/3 as a cool spot. It worked pretty good. Even with hot gloves and long tongs our knuckles and hands got burnt up. We averaged about 15 pounds at a time on the grill. We showed up at 7:00 and fired it up. At about 7:30-ish we started cooking and all 90 pounds was done at 10:30. We went through 3 bags of charcoal. All the veggie prep was done Friday evening. My brother in law Perry and friend Bill cooked the rice and beans while Joe and I were at the grill. My son helped out by grabbing a cleaver and chopping the chicken up. We all attacked the table set up and refilled as needed. Needless to say, I was most appreciative for everyone that helped out!!

38512912_481158749023732_6026541450815078400_n.jpg38651714_10217418008987411_3169404874802593792_n.jpg

38471323_10155628862813483_1336324549540577280_n.jpg

Here's some letter we whipped together one weekend. I had my daughter ( CJ ) use the jigsaw to cut them herself.
38427257_10212938703647302_8132528868557848576_n.jpg

And the happy and relieved family that everything went well.

38660752_10155628863238483_6033276582305464320_n.jpg

Dub

Great times, great results for a wonderful looking family with the help of your friends.

Life is good !!!

Your son looks like he could single-handedly keep everyone acting right. You and your buds mess around and get too slow on the grill and he'd come out there and tune ya'll up. :rofl:

Great looking family, JD. :)

GA1dad

Your son looks like he could single-handedly keep everyone acting right. You and your buds mess around and get too slow on the grill and he'd come out there and tune ya'll up. :rofl:

Yep, he's a hoss for sure. He goes by Bubba, but I call him either corn-fed or Tonka.

Last edited:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Looks like it was a hit! You are a courageous man, taking on that endeavor. Congrats!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Wow! You knocked it out of the park GA1. I can't wait to see the brisket cook. That's going to be quite a challenge. I hope yo get well paid!

GA1dad

Wow! You knocked it out of the park GA1. I can't wait to see the brisket cook. That's going to be quite a challenge. I hope yo get well paid!

Well,, I don't know that I'll get paid at all. My motivations are two-fold. One- it will reduce (or wipe clean ) the dues my wife pays to the Temple,,,,, and two- they have a very nice commercial, DHEC approved kitchen that I would like to have access to (at no charge ) so that I can legally do some catering a few time a year. I mentioned it to one of the board members this weekend and he seemed open minded about that. My wife's school approached me last year about catering an annual end of the year faculty dinner, but I had to turn it down for legal and insurance liability reasons. I'm slowly beginning to put all those pieces into place.

Latest posts