Big relief

Bobby Bigtime

About four years ago I shot at a monster bear at what I felt was a pretty good distance but I had a good rest and the bruin presented a good broadside unobstructed shot. the angle was a very steep uphill poke. Not knowing the distance I held on the top of his shoulder(308 win). At the shot he tumpled end over end for about 60 yards and disappeared behind a treeline. I thought wow that was easy,but for the next two days I scoured the mountain never finding a drop of blood and no bear. I was absolutely sick at the possibility of wounding and losing such a magnificent animal. I went back to hunt this weekend and had a rangefinder this time and ranged the shot at 356 yards. The next day another hunter killed the monster bear 100 yards from where I made the shot. We helped them take him off the mountain. It was a big relief to finally know I didn't wound him and he got four more years to be a bear

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good deal ! I know it happens , but if it doesn’t bother you to wound any animal something is wrong . I shot at a gobbler Wednesday morning and as he ran off my 2nd thought was I hope any stray shot didn’t hit him . I’m not gonna share my first thought :LOL:

Resica

About four years ago I shot at a monster bear at what I felt was a pretty good distance but I had a good rest and the bruin presented a good broadside unobstructed shot. the angle was a very steep uphill poke. Not knowing the distance I held on the top of his shoulder(308 win). At the shot he tumpled end over end for about 60 yards and disappeared behind a treeline. I thought wow that was easy,but for the next two days I scoured the mountain never finding a drop of blood and no bear. I was absolutely sick at the possibility of wounding and losing such a magnificent animal. I went back to hunt this weekend and had a rangefinder this time and ranged the shot at 356 yards. The next day another hunter killed the monster bear 100 yards from where I made the shot. We helped them take him off the mountain. It was a big relief to finally know I didn't wound him and he got four more years to be a bear
How big was it?