Black Krim

B. White

Question for the mater experts who have grown these from seed before. I put in small 4" pots a week ago Thursday and they grew as much as an inch some days to roughly double the size of other varieties I have in the same conditions. Cherry tomatoes are the only ones about the same. I pulled them out yesterday to move to one quart pots.

I was surprised at the root growth and now I'm wondering if my one qt pots will last. I planned on it being about 3 weeks before I put them out. I have bigger pots on order, but hate to move them all up again just for a week or two. If you have grown them, how big of a pot did you end up in before transplanting? Did they slow down? Do they produce good, or just a lot of vines<? I guess I could plant in two weeks, depending on the forecast.

Roots after one week below, 8 of them together in one qt pots below that. This is my first year growing everything from seed, so I probably should have went backward from set out date instead of last frost date.

1648300250871.jpeg

1648300280352.jpeg

ucfireman

Dont know but those look great, way better than anything I ever started from seed.
I would say leave them in the Qt pots and break the roots at planting, and of course plant deep.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Wow , are you Saying those are 9 days old ? I’ve grown a lot from seed but never seen that much growth , never tried that variety either . They look great

B. White

Wow , are you Saying those are 9 days old ? I’ve grown a lot from seed but never seen that much growth , never tried that variety either . They look great

Ha, no, but I can see how you would say that reading it.

Planted on 2/16.
Repotted the 2nd time a week ago Thursday.
This pic was taken yesterday after pulling them out to be repotted for the 3rd time, so the root growth you see is what happened over 8 day.
If this happened in 8 days, I'm worried they might get rootbound three weeks from yesterday.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Question for the mater experts who have grown these from seed before. I put in small 4" pots a week ago Thursday and they grew as much as an inch some days to roughly double the size of other varieties I have in the same conditions. Cherry tomatoes are the only ones about the same. I pulled them out yesterday to move to one quart pots.

I was surprised at the root growth and now I'm wondering if my one qt pots will last. I planned on it being about 3 weeks before I put them out. I have bigger pots on order, but hate to move them all up again just for a week or two. If you have grown them, how big of a pot did you end up in before transplanting? Did they slow down? Do they produce good, or just a lot of vines<? I guess I could plant in two weeks, depending on the forecast.

Roots after one week below, 8 of them together in one qt pots below that. This is my first year growing everything from seed, so I probably should have went backward from set out date instead of last frost date.

View attachment 1142734

View attachment 1142735
No expert here, just a person who loves a good tomato. You can no doubt raise a plant from seed! The way I do it: plant seeds about 5-6 weeks before I want to put them in ground. I use three inch peat cups, after that much time my plants are wanting more room for root growth but not yet rootbound.I peel off the peat pots and lightly loosen the roots and in the ground they go. If something disrupts my planting on time, I will repot, but I sure don’t want to. A good supply of buckets and big pots sure is handy when you’re afraid of a cold snap after planting into garden.Cover them up overnight and most times they’ll be fine.