Blaze Orange question

Arrow Flinger

You are correct. I didn't finish reading it but I still don't think there is 50% black. More like 30% on mine.

I was of the impression that the regs said "solid" or "unbroken", but I was mistaken. I will most certainly find myself an orange broken by black vest between now and primitive weapons week.

Arrow Flinger

I was of the impression that the regs said "solid" or "unbroken", but I was mistaken. I will most certainly find myself an orange broken by black vest between now and primitive weapons week.

Georgia don't state it either way but Alabama does not allow orange camo.

P

potsticker

I dont what planet yall hunt on but to say a deer cant see well comes from somebody that hasnt been in the woods very long. I have a hay field next to our place and iv had deer pick me up at over 400yds. Trees you want to get up where a deer cant pick you out, go about 30ft up and have cover around you. Deer are best at seeing at dark, but their eyes can adjust to about anything nature throws at them. Colorblind, maybe but put a solid orange vest on and watch them pick you up at about 200yds. cant see well, i dont think so.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Lets Just Go Archery Only Statewide And The Problem Is Solved! I Know, I Know. All Yall Wanna Shoot Me Bout Right Now For Even Suggesting It.

Don't get me wrong, I love archery season, but around the end of October I'm ready to "reach out and touch someone". Know what I mean, Vern?

Lead Poison

Blaze orange is the very best item in the history of hunting!

I can't tell you how many deer I've had walk directly under my stand, some even looked directly at me while I was warning a solid blaze orange vest, and not spook AT ALL!

I have no fear what-so-ever wearing blaze orange. Don't worry about wearing either full or camo styled blaze orange.

Blaze orange and laws that require it to be worn, has saved the lives of countless hunters!

Nitro

Banned
I don't worry much about being seen wearing Orange by a deer. Most of the time it's the last thing they ever see.........

ejs1980

You have to have 500 inches of orange. Doesn't matter if its broken up or not but it has to be 500 inches of actual orange, you couldn't count the black or green. Some of the orange with black branches over it would be very hard to measure but it would only take a 20 by 25 patch of orange to get you covered and they count front and back.

squarepeg

I dont what planet yall hunt on but to say a deer cant see well comes from somebody that hasnt been in the woods very long. I have a hay field next to our place and iv had deer pick me up at over 400yds. Trees you want to get up where a deer cant pick you out, go about 30ft up and have cover around you. Deer are best at seeing at dark, but their eyes can adjust to about anything nature throws at them. Colorblind, maybe but put a solid orange vest on and watch them pick you up at about 200yds. cant see well, i dont think so.

I have walked up to within 30 yds of a deer wearing orange vest. But it was one step at a time when their head was down.

They will pick up movement from a good distance, but if you move toward them in a straight line with deliberate steps, you would be surprised how close you can get.
I will admit more than one deer makes it harder to do.

Handgunner

I think it's movement they pick up the most. I've been on the ground, in an orange vest and shot deer at less than 20 yards from me.

It's all about being concealed and getting the wind right and most of all, being STILL.

I am one of the few hunters I know that wears a vest 100% of the time during firearms season. I am convinced that deer don't see orange, but I still would like to have my silhouette broken up better than a solid orange vest will. I've had too many deer look at me from close range and not spook as long as I didn't move a muscle to think they can see anything but a dark blob. On the other hand, I've had them pick me out when I hadn't moved because I looked like a blob and looked out of place.

Another thing. I am convinced that both squirrels and turkeys see orange. I've had both bust me and spook deer that had no idea I was around. Maybe a broken-up orange will be less visible to the other animals.

FX Jenkins

I took a black sharpie and made my own ....never been challenged on it...

always figure I could point at my feet and say, "add this in boss"

vans-prison-issue.jpg