Boat/trailer emergency kit

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Don't be THAT guy, stuck on the side of the road or at the ramp.

I keep the following things for situations whether trailering or on the water.

Spare trailer hub (I have 2)
Spare tire
Trailer Jack (I have the Easy Lift and a bottle jack)
Prop Hub kit
2x4 block
2-4-C grease (or whatever your personal choice is)
Fuses
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Spare bulb
Hand pump
Spare plug for bilge
Tools needed to do repairs

This is what I keep in my tool box on the truck and some in the boat, but the few times I have had problems on the water I was able to make it back to the ramp to repair.

Add to the list as I might have missed some.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Only thing I see missing is jumper cables and a flashlight but thats already in the truck LOL. Good list....I do it too and have almost never needed any of it but I have occasionally and it was a trip saver for sure.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Tire Iron/wrench for trailer tire lug nut size.
That's in the tools needed. Along with torque wrench, channel locks, screwdrivers, hammers' regular socket set, zip ties, duct tape, electric tape, etc.
Tire plug kit and electric air pump. Can of fix a flat just for good measure.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I do need to add a spare prop.

Hillbilly stalker

Spare prop for the trolling motor too. The one time I talked my wife into going fishing, the Game Warden pulled up beside me to check our license and whacked the one of the blades off mine. The waves and the wind pushed the boats together.:banginghe

I am prepared. I have Sea Tow gold complete with the trailer package. Something breaks they come get me on the water on the road.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Haven't been in a boat that I / family owned in YEARS, grew up with my Dad's 1955 Evenrude and he all ways kept a pair of channel locks and a box "shear pins" in his tackle box. More than once he tossed me in the water to drive a new pin in the prop because he hit "something". I'm sure new boat motors don't have such a thing (it would save the owners to much money), but they should... beats replacing a whole foot every time one get's a little to shallow or bumps a stump.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Haven't been in a boat that I / family owned in YEARS, grew up with my Dad's 1955 Evenrude and he all ways kept a pair of channel locks and a box "shear pins" in his tackle box. More than once he tossed me in the water to drive a new pin in the prop because he hit "something". I'm sure new boat motors don't have such a thing (it would save the owners to much money), but they should... beats replacing a whole foot every time one get's a little to shallow or bumps a stump.

I remember shear pins

Hub kits are the way of things now. A new hub kit cost me $28.

Screenshot_20220404-215257_Free Adblocker Browser.jpg

GTMODawg

BANNED
Still looks like a lot of pieces and work to replace one itty bitty pin that any twelve year could replace in five minutes while treading water in ice cold temps. :stir::rofl::rofl:

Shear pins could also be improvised on the fly with just about anything that could be shoved in the hole and would get you back to the hill if you weren't bent on doing so in a hurry. Modern hubs are more forgiving in my experience but when they fail they ain't easy to McGuyver. I spun one on a 70 horse johnson once about 5 miles off shore and had the tide been going out I doubt I'd have been able to get back in the pass....even with the tide in my favor it was touch and go.

GTMODawg

BANNED
My Dad has that.

I am a DIY kind of guy.

Great service near shore for certain. Wouldn't leave the hill without it. In my experience road side assistance is great when you somewhere like Atlanta where anyone can call a wrecker but are less than adequate in places like Iraan Texas on a Sunday afternoon when the governor of Texas would have to wait until Tuesday or so for a wrecker. I have had roadside assistance on my RV forever and have needed it 3 times in remote areas and each time was told if I could find a service provider and paid them I could be reimbursed LOL. One of those times was in Hobbs, New Mexico, not exactly remote by west Texas / New Mexico standards. This isn't just one road side assistance plan either but 3....they are included in just about all RV owner loyalty programs.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Spare prop for the trolling motor too. The one time I talked my wife into going fishing, the Game Warden pulled up beside me to check our license and whacked the one of the blades off mine. The waves and the wind pushed the boats together.:banginghe

No kidding....I think they learn the first day on the job that their most important function is to do some damage to another boat on every inspection. I had one south of Franklin one time park his 20 foot center console inside my 1236 Jon Boat! Even when he was outside the boat his bow was about 6 feet inside mine....when another boats wake hit us he came on in! Very exciting for me....the 2 guys on the bigger boat didn't seem a bit concerned that there was as much water in my boat as there was in the river relatively speaking......

Hillbilly stalker

No kidding....I think they learn the first day on the job that their most important function is to do some damage to another boat on every inspection. I had one south of Franklin one time park his 20 foot center console inside my 1236 Jon Boat! Even when he was outside the boat his bow was about 6 feet inside mine....when another boats wake hit us he came on in! Very exciting for me....the 2 guys on the bigger boat didn't seem a bit concerned that there was as much water in my boat as there was in the river relatively speaking......
They have a tuff enough job dealing with jerks and people who resent authority. It was a total accident in my case and I didn’t think anything about it. He apologized and offered to pay for it. I for one appreciate the job they do. I carry a spare now, I’ve broken a couple myself over the years.

ribber

I have everything listed except the prop hub kit. I like to be prepared too.
I am considering a jump box as well. You never know when a battery will die and no one is around to jump you off. Like late at night at the ramp.
One thing that has saved me twice on the boat, is a piece of wire or coat hanger. Dirt dobbers are notorious for clogging up your outboard pee hose.

Dr. Strangelove

If you have a vacuum sealer you can seal a lot of your emergency kit so that it's not exposed to the elements.

Flashlight batteries
Paper chart of the area
Handheld VHF (if coastal)
Vice Grips (I know tools were already mentioned but they are sure handy to have)
$20 bill/s - I rarely carry cash so I like to keep a small amount of cash in all my vehicles

GeorgiaGlockMan

If you have a vacuum sealer you can seal a lot of your emergency kit so that it's not exposed to the elements.

Flashlight batteries
Paper chart of the area
Handheld VHF (if coastal)
Vice Grips (I know tools were already mentioned but they are sure handy to have)
$20 bill/s - I rarely carry cash so I like to keep a small amount of cash in all my vehicles
I use zipper bags and Tupperware boxes in tandem for different waterproof kits too.