Boat/trailer emergency kit

littlejon

Don't be THAT guy, stuck on the side of the road or at the ramp.

I keep the following things for situations whether trailering or on the water.

Spare trailer hub (I have 2)
Spare tire
Trailer Jack (I have the Easy Lift and a bottle jack)
Prop Hub kit
2x4 block
2-4-C grease (or whatever your personal choice is)
Fuses
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Spare bulb
Hand pump
Spare plug for bilge
Tools needed to do repairs

This is what I keep in my tool box on the truck and some in the boat, but the few times I have had problems on the water I was able to make it back to the ramp to repair.

Add to the list as I might have missed some.
That's that good military training in ya!

BriarPatch99

Shear pins could also be improvised on the fly with just about anything that could be shoved in the hole and would get you back to the hill if you weren't bent on doing so in a hurry. Modern hubs are more forgiving in my experience but when they fail they ain't easy to McGuyver. I spun one on a 70 horse johnson once about 5 miles off shore and had the tide been going out I doubt I'd have been able to get back in the pass....even with the tide in my favor it was touch and go.

Up the river with a sheared pin in a Johnson .... Thankful for who ever threw out the box springs in the woods next to the ramp .... old limb line hooks will do also...

Newer motor has a hub now ...

sleepr71

I keep most of that in a plastic toolbox,under a seat,with a moisture/desiccant pack in it. I also keep a pair of wire strippers/crimpers & a few electrical connectors of each variety. A couple of rolls of 12 ga wire & I can repair most any wiring issue. Also keep a few of those battery powered lights that can Flash/SOS..IF I had to call 911 & was hurt/doing CPR,etc. I think I am going to add some rainproof ponchos in another box,in case we get caught in a big rain & it’s cool/cold. Hypothermia sets in pretty fast. Especially when wet & driving back to the landing! Sea Tow is also sounding more appealing,in the event we were way off & needed towing. Especially at night. Some nights are pretty quiet on the Lakes & you can sit out there a LONG time before another boat comes along ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I live on the edge , don’t have any of that. But if I traveled far I would for sure . I do have what it takes to change a trailer tire .

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yep+ a flare gun & air horn…I ain’t going down without somebody seeing & hearing me…?
My Dad bought a 18ft Wellcraft in 1969, bolted under the front deck was a steel 300psi air tank.. on the deck was a 4 foot long air trumpet with a 6in dia. horn on the back of it. Thing sounded like the Queen Mary. Early 90's it hadn't been off his carport for about 10 years and I spent a lot of that winter get'n it running and all the paper work done. Still didn't have the decal, but had the temp. card so the 1st warm Sat. me, my GF, our best friends and their 6 month old Daughter hit Toona. Of course we got "pulled over" by 2 rangers out in front of the dam with that old sticker on it. The Lt. stayed on their boat circling while the rookie boarded ours. First he mentioned that "The baby has on a PFD, did I have enough for the adults?" There was literally over 30 old orange "Mae West" under the front deck, most still in the wrappers they came in in '69, he stopped me when I tossed the 15th one out saying "You've got enough of them to float the boat." Then asked "You got a fire extinguisher on board?" I grabbed the only one I had at the house... a 3ft. tall 12in. dia. ABC.. he said "I don't want to be any where near IF you need that thing." THEN he made a HUGE mistake... "Does that horn work?" My buddy "tried" to scream "NOOOOO!" But it was too late.. I was already smiling as his Lt. came around the front of my boat..... dude jumped about 8 feet in the air and slap out of his boat when I pulled the trigger on that horn! :rofl::rofl:I had to jump in his boat and go pick him up. They petty much left us alone after that, used that boat through the 90's with that same old sticker on it and never got checked again.