Boat Owners Very Important

Nimrod71

As I posted last week, my trip to Gillis lake was fun, but no fish. Well let me tell you there was something else I didn't catch until yesterday, the Lord was with me I did make it home, I noticed the right trailer wheel didn't look just right. When did I bend the trailer axel? Well I jacked the trailer up and to my surprise the axel was not bent, the inside wheel bearing was gone and the wheel was wobbling on the axel. I checked my service record and I had greased the bearing buddies last fall and I had replaced the bearings and seals in both hubs 6 years ago. To make the story shorter, If you put a lot of miles on your trailer I suggest pulling the hubs off once a year at the start of fishing season or by April 15th. At the best you will only have to grease the wheel bearings check the races and replace the rear seal. The worst thing is having to replace the bearings and races, clean the inside of the hub and replace the rear seal. If you fail to keep a check on these wheel bearing you may find your self sitting on the side the Interstate or lonely dark highway with a burned out wheel bearing and no one to help or no tools and parts to fix it and the only way to help is to leave your boat on the shoulder of road. This can make for a bad trip no matter how many fish you catch. Fisherman, before you level in the morning for the river or lake, check those wheel bearings. Good luck and I hope you catch all you can eat and throw the rest back.

MattKelley

The exact same thing happened to me 2 yrs ago. At some point she just let go. Didn't notice it until I walked past the boat the next morning. I bet my guardian angel can't wait to retire!

JROESEL

Everyone should always pull there bearings and check the spindle at least once a year, it’s a whole lot easier in the driveway with proper tools, then on the side of the road, replace your castle nut keepers, rather be a cap or a hair pin, also you need to be looking at your tires as well, inside/outside tread, saved my dad from a major blow out on a skeeter, do to noticing steel starting to show on the inside of the tire, rest of the tread looked great

BoosterC

Whenever you change the bearings you should replace the seals too. Otherwise you will have a compromised seal that will let water in. Bye bye new bearings...