EZ lube trailer axles

JJJSDAD

The rear seals are leaking grease. The trailer is 2 years old. I have used the zerk on the axle to change grease I rotate the wheel as I pump grease. I am using Lucas red and tacky grease. I am thinking the grease is expanding when traveling and since grease comes in between the rear seal and bearing if to much pressure is applied rear seal begins to leak. Any suggestions or has this happened to you. thanks for any suggestions.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
too much grease is much much worse than to little grease. I have those on a couple of trailers. I never grease the bearing by them. If you need to maintain the bearings, pull the wheels and do it correctly

teebert

I recently had that exact same thing happen…put on brand new hubs that were pre-greased from etrailer.com. I was concerned that the grease they came with wasn’t marine grease plus I wanted to see how the zerk fitting worked so I pumped marine grease into it hoping to push the other grease out and blew the seal. The conclusion I came to after talking to etrailer and research online is that the ez lube thing only works half the time. So I just decided to do it the old fashioned way. I bought new seals and a grease packer and did it manually. Quite disappointed as this way makes a huge mess for someone inexperienced like me.

Doboy Dawg

I don’t know how the spindles on your’s are drilled. The spindles on the axles I have are only ported to the inner bearing. I noticed mine tend to grease the inner bearings really well and rely on packing the hub really full of grease to reach the outer bearing.

In this configuration it’s really a waste of grease and once the hub is full it forces the extra grease pumped in to blow out the weakest point, the seal.

I quit using the ez lube function and returned to the old fashioned pulling the hub and packing the individual bearings. I know then they’re greased properly and if I have a seal fail it’s from wear and not too much grease.

Plus I keep the proper preload on the bearings. There’s really no substitute for old fashioned maintenance.