Bobcats

Just my own observations and opinion, but I think the males are longer, taller and leaner. Females shorter and squattier. The cat in the last picture, the up close one, I`m almost positive is a female.

This cat from last season I think is a male, because of the description I mentioned above. Notice the difference in their builds.

View attachment 1045445

Yep. That is what I've seen. I watched a few kittens with momma over the years, that is a sight to see!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
They are capable of killing a full size deer but mostly stick to fawns. Coyotes are the number one fawn killers followed by bobcats which are followed by bear. I try and eradicate them due to my turkeys.

It's actually coyotes, bears, and then bobcats. In all the studies I'm aware of bobcats don't kill enough fawns to matter much.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
It's actually coyotes, bears, and then bobcats. In all the studies I'm aware of bobcats don't kill enough fawns to matter much.
And I've seen coyotes chase a deer more times than I can remember. I have NEVER seen a bobcat chase a deer. They may catch one, a young or sick one, but I seriously doubt that happens very often. There are much easier critters for bobcats to catch and fill their bellies on.

Hope these pics come through ok. I’m not impressed with SPYPOINT cameras. This is the second occasion I got this cat on cam. I’m guessing must be a male being this big. He is stalking that deer. Amazing he could get so close in the open like that. For perspective the deer is about 25-30ft from cam.
I certainly had that joker on my mind walking in to my box blind before daylight on the 17th.

Attachments

• F37967B8-8772-47CB-90E0-156C87E29A3D.jpeg
    F37967B8-8772-47CB-90E0-156C87E29A3D.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 27
  • E3FE6D45-0CAB-4C60-9F5E-2B1EF66CB4A4.jpeg
    E3FE6D45-0CAB-4C60-9F5E-2B1EF66CB4A4.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 27

sleepr71

I have only(in person) seen Coyotes chase & harass Deer. Never,ever seen a Bobcat be aggressive toward one. I’m sure they’ll snag a really young fawn...but I just don’t see a Bobcat messing with a bigger fawn,or grown deer.? Same for Foxes...I just let em be. Unless they are eatin our cheekins?

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Bobcats have had at least 12,000 years to wipe out deer, turkeys, quail, and everything else that they share territory with. @1bidbob , how come they haven`t done that very thing?

1bidbob

BANNED
Bobcat — A Florida study examined both food habits of bobcats and survival of 66 radio-collared fawns . Although they concluded that deer were not a very important component of bobcat diets based on scat analyses, bobcats killed 11 of their collared fawns. In another Florida study, bobcats killed 33 radio-collared fawns and 6 adult deer . A UGA study on Kiawah Island, South Carolina monitored survival of 134 radio-collared fawns 37. In the absence of coyotes, bobcats killed 70 of the fawns with a single adult male radio-collared bobcat likely responsible for many of those deaths. It appears that although deer are not the primary food of most bobcats, some bobcats learn to prey on deer and can be effective at killing them, especially fawns.

I guess bobcat just dont like deer.

1bidbob

BANNED
Bobcats engage in surplus killing. In other words they tend to kill more than they can eat. Now, you take my ol tom back home. He aint never been hungry. But if he sees a chipmunk he is gonna do his best to kill it. And aint gonna eat it.They used to be dead chipmunks laying all over the place til he weeded em out. Now ol tom is tame where a bobcat is wild. That is just their instinct. That is why they call em predators.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
You are a smart man.

Hillbilly stalker

Cats are thrill killers who like the game, mink and weasels and ferrets are blood thirsty killers.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I appreciate the compliment but I already knew that. THE BIG GUY-2020. ROLL TIDE

How`s the mater plants coming? You got em put up in case of cold weather?