Bought a disposable tractor...LOL...need help.

treadwell

Bought a used Nortrac 254 tractor to plant food plots. It did a great gob, until..... I put it in low range and when I go to try to put it back in hi range ,and put it in gear, it won't (grinds like the clutch isn't releasing). When I put it back in low range, I can get it in gear with a little grinding, BUT, the tractor starts moving even with the clutch pushed in all the way. This happens in rev or forward. IDEAS? Thoughts? Does anyone know who would work on this that's near Coweta county ,GA? Thanks in advance.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I think Elfiii has a good contact near Newnan or in that general vacinity. Maybe pm him?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't do tractors other than old Fords and a medium old Massey and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but --

Check whether the clutch can be adjusted so as to give you more pedal.
If the Clutch is frozen put it in the highest gear you can and drive it to an open area. With the pedal pushed down, let the engine put pressure on the clutch under acceleration and deceleration. Going over bumps might help.

The last time I had to free up the Massey I cranked the tractor, snatched it into Lo Range first and crawled out to a road. With the clutch pedal down, I took it up through the gears by jaming the change until it broke free. Then I promised myself not to park it outside again.