Bow vs Gun Equipment Cost

ASH556

Y'all, I need some help on this one: How do you reconcile equipment costs between bow hunting and gun hunting? One of the biggest issues with bow hunting is that bows have terrible value retention; especially compared to guns. Here's an example:

I put together a new rifle for this season. I picked up a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 that was cut to 16" and threaded, but the previous owner never shot it. I topped it with a Leupold VXR Firedot 2-7 in Talley rings. All in all it's a pretty sweet hunting rifle. The whole package cost me less than $900. In 10 years, it'll still be worth close to that.

By contrast, if I went and bought a new Mathews Vertix right now I'd pay $900 bare bow. Sight, Rest, Quiver, and arrows would probably put me over $1,500. Next year it'll be worth $800 and in 10 years it'll be worth maybe $200.

All this is an issue for me right now because my current bow is 12 years old. It still works (killed 2 deer with it 2 weeks ago), but it's definitely long in the tooth. Also, it needs new strings and cables. I have a hard time throwing $150+ in maintenance into something that, at best, is worth $200.

How do y'all afford to bowhunt? How do you reconcile the costs? I still want the new Mathews, but am having a hard time justifying it.

Mark K

Banned
My 2000 Mathews Q2 still works. So does the release, sights, quiver, etc...
I’ve added new cables a time or two but still way cheaper than a brand new bow. And the best thing I’ve seen so far is it still kills deer and the deer don’t seem to mind whether it’s a 19 year old bow or one purchased brand spanking new last week.
Then again, I’m the type that buys quality and expects it to last. Still driving my 2000 F150 with 423K miles too.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Y'all, I need some help on this one: How do you reconcile equipment costs between bow hunting and gun hunting? One of the biggest issues with bow hunting is that bows have terrible value retention; especially compared to guns. Here's an example:

I put together a new rifle for this season. I picked up a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 that was cut to 16" and threaded, but the previous owner never shot it. I topped it with a Leupold VXR Firedot 2-7 in Talley rings. All in all it's a pretty sweet hunting rifle. The whole package cost me less than $900. In 10 years, it'll still be worth close to that.

By contrast, if I went and bought a new Mathews Vertix right now I'd pay $900 bare bow. Sight, Rest, Quiver, and arrows would probably put me over $1,500. Next year it'll be worth $800 and in 10 years it'll be worth maybe $200.

All this is an issue for me right now because my current bow is 12 years old. It still works (killed 2 deer with it 2 weeks ago), but it's definitely long in the tooth. Also, it needs new strings and cables. I have a hard time throwing $150+ in maintenance into something that, at best, is worth $200.

How do y'all afford to bowhunt? How do you reconcile the costs? I still want the new Mathews, but am having a hard time justifying it.

Justifying is pretty simple. Cause I don't sell anything. So when I die it won't be my problem and I won't care..

And for those that worry about selling...
when-i-die-5be88b.jpg

Bubba_1122

A bow isn't an investment - it's a tool.

The rifle is the same (unless you're in the business of buying and selling them. I ain't).

If you're looking for an investment take that money you were going to spend on the bow and the gun, invest it in the stock market and then go buy your meat at Kroger (it's a whole lot cheaper). If you earn 7.2% on that investment in 10 years you'll have doubled your money. Then do it again. And again.

I'm more of a function over form guy. Not worried about style points. At 63 I just enjoy being out doors (though I did buy a new bow last year after 7 years of shooting my old Hoyt. Post neck surgery needed something that could shoot well with a lower draw weight).

That said, there are a lot of nice features of modern compound bows. For instance my Triax has 85% let off. Old bow didn't. It's a lot quieter. Old bow wasn't. Much more compact. Many other features that make it worthwhile for me to have. And I have it set at 55# and it zips em. I did use my same arrows and broad heads (FMJ/Ramcats). I did use my same Black Gold sight. Same trigger. Just got a new bow.

As was mentioned above, if you want to save some money buy a used bow (but I'd buy it from someone I know or an archery shop that knows the bow (maybe a year old bow that someone has traded because they have to have (and can afford) the newest and bestest thing out there has traded in)).

Last edited:

Buck Dropper

No way I would buy a new bow. There are way too many 1-3 year old bows for sale every year for a fraction of what they cost new. I'm one that also uses an "antique" bow by today's standards, but it shoots and kills just as good as the day I got it.

I'm always 1-2 years behind on cell phones, vehicles, etc. I'm gonna let someone else take the hit on value for me. Most of the time, there isn't much of a difference in that time frame anyway.

shdw633

I have and still use my Switchback and I would just change the strings and cables out because I wouldn't be looking at it like I spent $150 on a bow worth $200, I would be looking at it like I just saved $1350 over a new bow and spend that money on something I really, really wanted.....like a new gun/scope combo or a new crossbow that would be wayyyyy less than a new bow!!!

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
In 2011 I killed a buck with my 1987 PSE. Don't go hunting to make a fashion statement.

shdw633

In 2011 I killed a buck with my 1987 PSE. Don't go hunting to make a fashion statement.

I still have a 1983 Cougar Magnum that is in mint condition and I keep wanting to take it out.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
^this^..

I shot a 10 2 years ago with an Old Horton crossbow I bought at a garage sale for $100 and it’s well over 15 years old.

screedee

I look at it the same as golf clubs, I would never buy new anything, clubs or bow. If you bought the top of the line bow 12 years ago, technology has advanced so much in that amount of time that a 300.00 new bow from Academy with all new technology, probably shoots faster and more accurate than your 2006 top of the line bow. I also base my spending on usage, dont spend a lot on guns or bows or clubs because I only use them a few times a year, I will spend a fortune on Matresses, TVs and Grills because that is something I use everyday.

killerv

wait for last years models to be closed out, or see if the dealer might have a couple dealer models in the back they can cut you a deal on, but usually they save these for friends, etc. Most used mathews and hoyts, and I'm sure others still bring in the 400 range if they've been taken care of. I'm still shooting an old hoyt trykon, I had the itch and ended up just putting a new string on it and having it tuned again. It's like a new bow.

ssramage

Totally understand where you're coming from. I went through the same thing this year. I was a pretty avid bowhunter about 7 years ago, but moved down to the coast and stopped bowhunting as much because it was too hot and I was focused on life... decided to jump back in this year because of some new spots I had and couldn't believe the price of bows. It's a terrible investment. I decided for this year to just buy a cheap crossbow with some Cabela's points and be done with it. Less than $300 all in. I'll likely pick up another compound before next year but it'll probably be off the ArcheryTalk used classifieds for less than $500.

You can spend a lot of money on hunting equipment no doubt. Good luck on making a call on how much you can spend.

Pre-loaded limb design changed the archery compound market a lot. But, the new bows are faster and quieter.

Crossbows are off the charts. Anything with strings and cables is risky.

But lets get to the firearms. What you value a weapon, what a gun shop calls the value of your weapon, and what home owners insurance calls the value of your weapon are all three different figures, going in reverse order.

I have learner to be cautious in putting money into firearms. And, I don't buy anything I don't expect to shoot. Buying and putting up firearms for an investment may take a lifetime to make money at it.

Hillbilly stalker

Bow hunting has become about gadgets for the majority anymore. People think they have to have The newest greatest thing out there. A lot but a new bow every year. You can buy a Browning rifle for what a bow costs now. Regular string and buss cable maintenance is all that’s really needed. It’s more about the Indian than it is about the bow to me.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I look at it the same as golf clubs, I would never buy new anything, clubs or bow. If you bought the top of the line bow 12 years ago, technology has advanced so much in that amount of time that a 300.00 new bow from Academy with all new technology, probably shoots faster and more accurate than your 2006 top of the line bow. I also base my spending on usage, dont spend a lot on guns or bows or clubs because I only use them a few times a year, I will spend a fortune on Matresses, TVs and Grills because that is something I use everyday.
You sir have respectfully lost your mind if you think a $300 new bow from Acadamy is better and more accurate than a 2006ish top of the line Mathews or Hoyt.

"You sir have respectfully lost your mind if you think a $300 new bow from Acadamy is better and more accurate than a 2006ish top of the line Mathews or Hoyt."

I have a neighbor friend in his 70,s he still hunts with a bow that's 40 years old and he kills all the meat he needs with it, and has been doing so for a long, long, time.

Buying a new bow, does not translate into you being a better bow hunter. Just like buying a new rifle does not make you a better shot.