Boykin dogs

Core Lokt

Any of you have one? Pros/Cons?

When we went to see the youngest girl today her soon to be FIL has one male puppy left.9 weeks old. He sure was a cute lil bugger. Never had one. Always a lab person. Considering.....

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve seen a couple work the dove fields on some shoots. They were impressive. A whole lot of git up and go.

I don`t know how they would do in a timbered up beaver pond for ducks.

Core Lokt

Would be probably be more of a pet than a hunting dog but ya never know. I've been reading on them. They need some exercise when younger. I'm picky about dogs. Until I have time to train one up well I don't need one. I think I am there though. It's just me and the wife now.

buckpasser

We’ve got two. They are a great breed of dog. Greater than I deserve as I don’t wing shoot much anymore. My male is a decent deer tracker and I have friends that use them for pretty much everything but pointing. I believe they could even do that if you started them on it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Mine is a one person dog. She has to know where I am every minute. And she is jealous. When my granddaughter crawls up in my lap, the dog will jump up and push between us, so she gets the attention. They are extremely smart. Maybe even smarter than the labs I raised. The kids love to play fetch with her. She will do all kinds of tricks they have trained her to do. She has a motor when she is working, but very laid back in the house. She is sleeping on a mat at the feet of my recliner right now, just chillin'

One drawback is that they shed, and they shed a lot.

Geffellz18

Mine is a one person dog. She has to know where I am every minute. And she is jealous. When my granddaughter crawls up in my lap, the dog will jump up and push between us, so she gets the attention. They are extremely smart. Maybe even smarter than the labs I raised. The kids love to play fetch with her. She will do all kinds of tricks they have trained her to do. She has a motor when she is working, but very laid back in the house. She is sleeping on a mat at the feet of my recliner right now, just chillin'

One drawback is that they shed, and they shed a lot.
Reading this reminds me of our Chesapeake Retriever mix we currently have to a T!
I had my wife read it and asked who this sounded like and without hesitation, she said-Willow.
It’s hard to pull her off too when she gets going to command the attention too!

SLY22

Useles Member !
We love our Boykin! Great in the field and great in the house. We keep his coat cut very short and rarely see any sheding.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We love our Boykin! Great in the field and great in the house. We keep his coat cut very short and rarely see any sheding.
yep, you can keep them clipped, but I like that long curly look, but it does mean the vac comes out several times a week

Core Lokt

So what time are you picking him up tomorrow?…what’s his name?…:pop:
My wife is not a dog persona t all. Last night she picked out Mylo. She grew up with a pin full of deer dogs, not pets. We have had two labs in the 30 years that we have been married but they were outside dogs and never locked up and never left the yard.

I'm anal about dogs and won't have one unless I can train it and it must listen. I feel I can do that now but just not looking forward to the puppy stage. One good thing is if we get him now he will be older come hunting season and won't be much of an issue for her when I'm gone....

Still debating on it.... I think it would be a good choice but still thinking. Kind of like jumping into a cold spring. You do or don't....

I always had Labs in the past. I have three Boykins now. Two are puppies from my first one. My dog ZZ is the best dog I have ever owned in my life. She loves to go anywhere I will take her. I trained her myself and she earned her Started title before she was a year old. If someone even gets near a gun she gets excited and starts looking for something to retrieve. I have to be careful about saying squirrel because she will get too excited. And if I shoot anything including a squirrel she retrieves it. When outside she is always hunting anything that moves. Do the training and you will have a fine companion. I hope you get one and see.

cracker4112

We have two. I was always a lab guy. After my last one passed, I didn’t really want another dog. Took a while but my wife convinced me to try a Boykin. She is a great dog, and is a one person dog. Great nose, loves to hunt. She will find and retrieve anything. Since the first one took to me and not the kids, we got another. She is strictly a pet, and is also a great dog. If you are up for a pet or hunting dog, Boykins are a great choice. If you have any specific questions, feel free to reach out.image.jpg

Core Lokt

I told my daughter this morning that we were going to pass put now having second thoughts. My thing is my wife will tolerate dogs but isn't a dog person. I won't have one if I can't devote 110% to training it and giving it what it needs. We both leave at 6:30a and get home around 4:30p.

Right now the pup has a couple of running buds and would be shut up in a crate all day long during the week. When I'm home the dog would be with me all the time. I keep telling myself it would only be tuff for the little fell for a month or so to get used to here and the routine but I just don't know.....

Decisions, decisions....

cracker4112

I think you will be very pleased. Good luck to you and post a couple pics. One thing to remember, you can’t train one just like a lab, most have a little bird dog in them.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
A friend of mine has had several of them and absolutely loves them.

I seriously considered one when i got my retirement dog but decided on one that was more of a livestock dog than hunting dog. Always heard great things about them