brass and nylon brushes

JR924

Not sure on what is best for cleaning rifles over the long run. Afraid of using brass brushes. Cleaning after every session with nylon brush and patches. What do you guys do? Any concern on use of brass brushes and how much to use them?

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
most of them are bronze and they are harder than brass I think. I use nylon for everything except 22LR. Kinda odd really...I think 22LR barrels are softer material.

bullgator

I’ve used both. With quality solvent like Bore Tech the nylon brushes work fine.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yep...using Bore Tech Eliminator tonight along with MolyMajic and C4 trying to get all of the reminants of W760 out to start with H4350...discovered my nylon brushes might be a little worn...few more passes with a tighter one should take care of it.

Last edited:

Dub

Not sure on what is best for cleaning rifles over the long run. Afraid of using brass brushes. Cleaning after every session with nylon brush and patches. What do you guys do? Any concern on use of brass brushes and how much to use them?

Don't take anything I say as expert opinion....on pretty much anything.....but........my suspicion is that more damage is done to barrels from the type of chemicals used, vs the composition of the brush....or at least it can expose the barrel metal unduly to the action of the brush.

Again, my suspicion is that we live in a time when a better mousetrap is indeed within our reach.

I've been updating my rifles over the last couple years after finding new homes for the magnum stuff that I simply don't need.

Figured it was a fine time to also update my cleaning & lubing gear, too.

@Jester896 put me on Montana X-Treme products.

https://montanaxtreme.com

A buddy who is head over heals into rimfire put me on BoreTech products.

https://www.boretech.com

I want to the best barrel life and best accuracy I can from my rifles. Figured it was a good time to study up and let the old dog learn some new tricks.

jglenn

Boretech and nylon brushes for me. Even 22, although i only run a patch thru the 22. No brushes

bullgator

One note, make sure you remove all carbon/powder solvents before using copper solvents. They can react with each other to the detriment of the barrel. I run a patch with Gun Scrubber before and after copper solvents.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I generally make a pass with alcohol after copper solvents

I have a big ole bottle of denatured alcohol that I've put in a spray bottle and will likely put some more in a small needle tipped bottle, too.

Mighty handy for all sorts of stuff.