Brighteners???

Wild Turkey

In the past 15 years textile manufacturers have added uv brighteners to their fabrics to bring out colors. Thats the culprit.
Dollar General sells a scent free, uv free, softener free detergent.
Also fabric softeners or drier sheets are the devil. 100% uv brightener.

BowanaLee

Bowanna,
Could you clarify this? Are you saying you just rinse them in the washing machine?
http://forum.gon.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I wash them a full cycle in the machine, i just don't add detergent. You'd never know I didn't use it.
I don't know it for fact but its my belief that the brightness of new clothes will dull as they're washed and worn.
I wash new clothes several times before I use them.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I think what you see in the video has more to do with the material than what they are washed with.

This is true. I've got clothes that have never seen UV brighteners that appear the same way in IR.

The Fever

I am loving the response to this thread. Good stuff!

Flintridge

I usually wash my clothes in dead down wind detergent but ran out and needed to wash my clothes before a hunt this year. I used All Free and Clear because I had some at home and assumed it would be ok. I was really irritated thinking I messed all my camo up after I read that All brand may have optical and UV brightners in it.
I called the corporation who makes ALL and asked if the free and clear was optical and UV free. The rep told me that it doesn't have either in the formula.

Can I just go to WalMart or Home Depot and get a light to check? Just get a black light?

The Fever

I usually wash my clothes in dead down wind detergent but ran out and needed to wash my clothes before a hunt this year. I used All Free and Clear because I had some at home and assumed it would be ok. I was really irritated thinking I messed all my camo up after I read that All brand may have optical and UV brightners in it.
I called the corporation who makes ALL and asked if the free and clear was optical and UV free. The rep told me that it doesn't have either in the formula.

Can I just go to WalMart or Home Depot and get a light to check? Just get a black light?

Yes. There are also links above to products to fix the problem.

GTHunter007

This video has nothing to do with UV light...UV is the opposite end of the spectrum from IR. IR Is the red end of the spectrum...which deer do not see well at all...UV is the opposite end, the greys and blues, the end of the night color coming from the sky as things grey out. THIS is when a deer can see the best, and clothes with UV brighteners and dark grey/black colors will glow during these lights.

What you see in the video is a result of the IR illuminators washing out the browns and any red based colors of your camo. Nothing at all like a deer would see you.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
This video has nothing to do with UV light...UV is the opposite end of the spectrum from IR. IR Is the red end of the spectrum...which deer do not see well at all...UV is the opposite end, the greys and blues, the end of the night color coming from the sky as things grey out. THIS is when a deer can see the best, and clothes with UV brighteners and dark grey/black colors will glow during these lights.

What you see in the video is a result of the IR illuminators washing out the browns and any red based colors of your camo. Nothing at all like a deer would see you.

This would be my thoughts as well.

My biggest concern with the UV argument or debate is that, as many deer as I've had under or around me over the years, I've never noticed any difference in getting picked out according to what I wear.

One thing that I would find very interesting with the video that Fever posted is to set up a test. Several clothing styles, some treated some not and see how they show under the IR. Although like GThunter posted above I dont think the IR is how deer see UV, it would still be interesting to see how it changes under IR

The Fever

This would be my thoughts as well.

My biggest concern with the UV argument or debate is that, as many deer as I've had under or around me over the years, I've never noticed any difference in getting picked out according to what I wear.

One thing that I would find very interesting with the video that Fever posted is to set up a test. Several clothing styles, some treated some not and see how they show under the IR. Although like GThunter posted above I dont think the IR is how deer see UV, it would still be interesting to see how it changes under IR

You are right, Jim. The IR camera is now how a deer sees UV. We know from the studies from UGA and QDMA studies that red light is the least sensitive to deer, while the blue spectrum isn't one that they are very sensitive too, it is one of the few that stands out. Meaning that in a world of black, white, and grey, the blue stands out. That being said, the light from the sky should have a similar effect and if you climb high enough you would/should blend in with the darker patches of camo breaking up your pattern similar to that of a tree's branches. Right?

My thought is that a polyester fabric will reflect light and artificial brighteners will help reflect more. So it is a good way, and easy step, to prevent that. I will be collecting my cameras from the farm this weekend. I will set them up in the back yard and take video of different clothes to see the results. Jim, what variables would you like to see? I am thinking regular cotton and polyester clothes with UV brighteners, Cotton camo, Polyester camo, and camo treated with regular detergent vs camo treated with no brighteners. Any others? This could be fun!

GTHunter007

Cabelas line of fleece, in outfitter green and outfitter brown would be the perfect camo patterns to hunt whitetail deer. The fleece also absorbs light, not reflect it. Basic fatigues as well. I know I have bought my last Mossy Oak or Realtree camo for deer hunting. Turkey hunting...different story.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Jim, what variables would you like to see? I am thinking regular cotton and polyester clothes with UV brighteners, Cotton camo, Polyester camo, and camo treated with regular detergent vs camo treated with no brighteners. Any others? This could be fun!

that about covers it. If I come up with something else I'll post it up

I agree this could be fun.. I use to use a black light to see how the clothes glowed under it. I have gotten picked out once perfect wind not moving and they flipped and ran. Lot of cover I read up on uv I too the back light shined my camo and the clothes I wore and the hat glowed like a flash light. Some of the clothes I had had a red hue to them I became more sensitive to this.. The higher end clothes didn't seem to glow like cheaper ones did. Some clothing manufacturers of hunting apparel use UV Brughtners

BigCats

If it looks like that I'm good as high as I get they look up I look like the sky haha I'd be more worried about that scent left on that sapling that rubbed all up on ya but I do use the uv wash I believe it works 100%

uturn

Wash Hot Dry Hot...Detergent or Not! All Free and Clear if So...Autumn or Earth Scent Dryer Sheets...Store in Air Tight Container with Earth Scent Wafers or Same Dryer Sheets...Have Em Walk Stright Down Wind and Never Even Blink!!! My Two Cent...

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I have used the sports wash from Walmart for years. It dosent contain UV brighteners. They stopped selling it at mine. I ran out towards the end of deer season. I bought some clothes wash from primos. About half way thru turkey season I seemed to be getting picked off every time a turkey got close. This pair of toms had already picked me of twice. I saw them working my way so i just sat down. I made sure i was back in the woods not on the edge. I never made a peep. The came in to the little field and started feeding. About the time they were coming into range one of them stands up tall takes one look in my direction and took off. I went back to the UV killer and have not had that problem since.

Could just be my imagination but im sticking with it.

01Foreman400

Staff member
Guess my clothes are ok. Seen over 300 deer this season and didn't have a problem lots of them within 30 yards.