Broadhead and field tip

burkecountydeer

I just saw a post where some one was asking about fixed heads and some one said use which ever head flies the same as your field tip . why does it matter if it flies the same or not ? Why not just shoot fixed heads all the time ? Shoot exactly what your gonna be hunting with . ive got my bow sighted in with muzzy 3 blades and i don't even know how a field tip flies because i don't shoot them .

ddd-shooter

Because if your bow isn't properly launching arrows straight, your penetration will suffer. It might still have enough oomph to get the job done, but ya never know.
Edit to add, one quick way to see if your bow is tuned is to try both field points and broadheads, as the vanes on your arrow will react differently to them if your bow is not tuned. Same goes for shooting bareshafts.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

Some guys shoot a lot. Broad heads eat up a target real quick. Much easier to shoot field points to practice and then switch to Broadheads before hunting season. If your bow is tuned properly and your form is true...they should hit the same.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Up until about 10 years ago I only shot a month or so before season and then through season at live animals. Back then I almost always only shot broadheads. I killed deer fine and never thought much about shooting any more.

These days I shoot just about every evening when I still have daylight. Sometimes it's only 1 arrow and others it's 50 or more, just depends on light left when I get to the house. I dont shoot any longer just to make sure I am on, I think I shoot for therapy more than anything. Basically I shoot a bag target with field tips about 9 months a year and then I shoot a mixture of broadheads and field tips during season.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Some broad heads don’t fly like field points .......I had a rude awakening with my Xbow, but am on track now.

Bubba_1122

These days I shoot just about every evening when I still have daylight. Sometimes it's only 1 arrow and others it's 50 or more, just depends on light left when I get to the house. I dont shoot any longer just to make sure I am on, I think I shoot for therapy more than anything.
I'm like you in that shooting can be like therapy to me. I'll go out most anytime of day (particularly on weekends) and sling 16-32 arrows.

One thing I've been doing for several weeks is that on most mornings, generally shortly after first light, I'll go out and shoot ONE single broadhead (just one because that's likely how many shots I'll get if Brutus steps out). I'll shoot one of my quiver arrows. I'll shoot it from various distances each day, including odd distances (typically shoot it from 15-45 yards).

The single question after the shot is always: Is Brutus dead or is he alive?

It's a fun little game to me. It really makes me lock in and focus on the shot and the mechanics when I know there's just gonna be one shot.

Gotta make that one shot count.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I'm like you in that shooting can be like therapy to me. I'll go out most anytime of day (particularly on weekends) and sling 16-32 arrows.

One thing I've been doing for several weeks is that on most mornings, generally shortly after first light, I'll go out and shoot ONE single broadhead (just one because that's likely how many shots I'll get if Brutus steps out). I'll shoot one of my quiver arrows. I'll shoot it from various distances each day, including odd distances (typically shoot it from 15-45 yards).

The single question after the shot is always: Is Brutus dead or is he alive?

It's a fun little game to me. It really makes me lock in and focus on the shot and the mechanics when I know there's just gonna be one shot.

Gotta make that one shot count.

As I get close to season I like to shoot an arrow or 2 a morning as well. Plus the sun coming through the tree and across the beanfield is something to behold in the mornings :)

20200906_083158.jpg