Buck Moon

HughW2

Tonight thru Thursday night is supposed to be a “Super Buck Moon”; a full moon that is uncommonly bright. This Buck Moon is supposed to mark the point in the summer when most bucks in most regions have grown antlers to their maximum potential for the year. I don‘t know much about astronomy and am interested in others insights if they agree that bucks in Georgia are about grown out for the year (for antler) or if they still have a ways to go. I have often heard they keep growing until they start rubbing on trees which is still always off.

Hope @charlie Killmaster and some of our other knowledgeable members will illuminate this. (Illuminate - get it -Full Moon). I crack myself up sometimes!?

Last edited:

01Foreman400

Staff member
Never heard of this theory before. Not sure how it can be true with different timing of the rut in different regions. Some parts of Florida are about to or already in rut.

23wilkerson

I PUT TWO CAMERAS OUT FRIDAY AND CHECKED THEM YESTERDAY. A COUPLE OF BUCKS HAVE ALREADY GOT POINTED TINES BUT MOST OF THEM STILL HAVE THE ROUNDED TIPS SO THEY WILL BE GROWING A LITTLE LONGER HERE IN EMANUEL COUNTY

OwlRNothing

Went to let the dogs out this morning about 4 a.m. and the moon was a really vibrant orange and hanging low over the pasture. Pretty sight, but I'd have missed it if I wasn't up already. Who gets up at 4 a.m. ? yuck

Jim Boyd

Not through growing in lower SC

Ours will add inches through July.

Bud Man

Still growing in Northwest Georgia, I have a very fine 8-point that just started showing signs of a 9th point in the last 3 days. Still not what I'm looking for hopefully in a year or two. I've never heard of the buck moon.

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
I think for most of Ga. my understanding is they will be growing for another 2-3 weeks.