Building a pond help in NE GA

Marsupial

Banned
One of my dreams was always to own 100+ acres with my own little lake. I was fortunate enough to be able to get the land part checked off when I bought 106 acres in Wilkes county a few years ago. Now I’m thinking about adding a pond. I have two large creeks and a seasonal drainage but from what I’ve read, damming a creek or digging in a wetlands is not going to happen anymore these days. so the best place I can see to construct a pond is right next to our camp. It’s a flat spot with some natural runoff drainage leading into it. The soil is a very dense, hard red clay. Matter of fact, I built a food plot right behind it and water stands in any low spots for days after rains. Another plus to this location is I have a well that could help speed up the pond fill and supplement if we get a drought. I’ve gained an enormous amount of knowledge on food plots from GON forum over the years and now hoping some can share their knowledge on pond construction. My questions are...

Any recommendations for a company that does this in the Wilkes county area.

What is permitting process like

Is there a way to know the right size of pond based on soil, slope, rain runoff?

What are dos/ donts from someone who has done this before..

greg_n_clayton

I have no idea the process of getting a nod for the govt. But I know that the wet lands depend on the effects it has on.....nature. We had to get permission a few times to disturb them on construction sites over the years. Is your property fence for livestock or is it used for crops ? I believe I would approach them with irrigation plans instead of a recreational purpose. I have no idea that it would make any difference. I do know you see folks up here draining wetlands to create pasture land all the time.

kc65

Was going to build a pond on our farm....until we had to involve the army corps of engineers and other 3 letter agencies...

Marsupial

Banned
I have no idea the process of getting a nod for the govt. But I know that the wet lands depend on the effects it has on.....nature. We had to get permission a few times to disturb them on construction sites over the years. Is your property fence for livestock or is it used for crops ? I believe I would approach them with irrigation plans instead of a recreational purpose. I have no idea that it would make any difference. I do know you see folks up here draining wetlands to create pasture land all the time.
this is on hunting land for recreational purposes only so can’t get the exemption for agriculture use through NRCS.

Marsupial

Banned
I
Was going to build a pond on our farm....until we had to involve the army corps of engineers and other 3 letter agencies...
don’t believe I need to involve the army Corp or any federal agencies because this does not effect any water source.

Lilly001

There used to be a sticky in the duck hunting forum on this subject.
From my understanding, what you are proposing is about all they will allow you to do.
Basically a hole in a field.

j_seph

this is on hunting land for recreational purposes only so can’t get the exemption for agriculture use through NRCS.
Not even if one day you plan to cut trees(agriculture) What about some kind of conservation exemption

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
One of my dreams was always to own 100+ acres with my own little lake. I was fortunate enough to be able to get the land part checked off when I bought 106 acres in Wilkes county a few years ago. Now I’m thinking about adding a pond. I have two large creeks and a seasonal drainage but from what I’ve read, damming a creek or digging in a wetlands is not going to happen anymore these days. so the best place I can see to construct a pond is right next to our camp. It’s a flat spot with some natural runoff drainage leading into it. The soil is a very dense, hard red clay. Matter of fact, I built a food plot right behind it and water stands in any low spots for days after rains. Another plus to this location is I have a well that could help speed up the pond fill and supplement if we get a drought. I’ve gained an enormous amount of knowledge on food plots from GON forum over the years and now hoping some can share their knowledge on pond construction. My questions are...

Any recommendations for a company that does this in the Wilkes county area.

What is permitting process like

Is there a way to know the right size of pond based on soil, slope, rain runoff?

What are dos/ donts from someone who has done this before..
See if you can hunt up Greg Grimes on here (forgot his handle), or google him. He's the best hands down when it comes to ponds and lakes in Ga.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I

don’t believe I need to involve the army Corp or any federal agencies because this does not effect any water source.

Those federal agencies will be the ones to determine that and they sometimes have a funny way of deciding things that has absolutely no root in common sense

ucfireman

I have looked into it some.
From what I can tell, You can dig and build a 1 ac or less pond in a "flood plain" or runoff with no permits. That's what a contractor told me.

If you are going to use it for ag then NRCS will be involved. If there is no other water source for watering animals or crops then you can get an exemption. And build in the creek etc.
They will want to know what you are raising and will give you a calculation of "acre feet" of water.
Says they will check the progress of your farm periodically and if you are not farming then there " may be penalties". I don't know how long you have to farm or plan on farming to avoid the penalties. I do know folks start and stop farming all the time so?

A neighbor dug his pond in a wet swampy area on his place not too long ago and he said he did not get permits etc. He just moved dirt and opened up the spring to fill his.

I am watching because I want a pond too.

WayneB

Wilkes Barnett, same guy who owns Barnett Angus cattle is also a big player grading contractor. He's in Washington, GA
I can tell you from being a builder for over 35 years, it would be best to engage a Stormwater engineer, you are too close to Athens and the liberal treehuggers that run GAEPD to get sideways in the beginning. They do NOT play nicely with each other, much less others.
There are a few things you should have for a consult, and just for your own defense in case you decide to build without permitting. First is a google earth (not google maps) Satellite view with topography contours, with an overlay of what you want fairly close to scale. Magic marker on a printout works, keep it simple.
Try to best determine what depth you want, berms and dam, emergency overflow, with path to nearest creek/stream or ditch leading to one.
USACE will likely be involved, not due to wetlands impact, however (are supposed to) they inspect all dams and impoundments for weaknesses and failure points. Not to brow beat you, but to protect the landowner downstream of a breach.
There are a number of waivers you can apply for to work within a wetland, and even dam part of it to create a pond. The stormwater engineer should be able to guide you.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Back when I use to do this kind of work I always used the Soil and Water guys at the county extension office. It has been 20 years since I built a dam, but back then it wasn't a big deal after the S&W people signed off on it. Most of our dams back then were for farming operations, so that helped too.

SASS249

The Pond Guidance Document Cool Hand Luke posted has a lot of good information. When I worked for EPD some of the guys working for me put together that guidance document. If you are planning on a recreational pond over an acre in size you are required to at a minimum have coverage under the construction stormwater permit, which does mean getting a licensed engineer involved.

Like it or not you will need to make sure you get right with both the county and state. As Wayne B suggested this is NOT a situation of asking for forgiveness instead of permission.

However someone who does a lot of pond construction will be able to help you through the process. If they suggest just ignoring the regulations find somebody else.

Marsupial

Banned
I met with a couple guys Saturday that have a good reputation in area about the pond build. Felt good about all they told me. My first (preferred) location was no good due to not enough watershed. They liked the next spot and said that they felt confident in a good one acre pond there. So I’ve pulled the trigger and clearing will begin in a couple months. I’m very excited about this project. I’ll be sure to post Picts of the build and the finished product and hopefully will be able to recommend these guys when it’s all done.

Now, next question... stocking. What are the dos and donts of the fish management part, assuming this time next year I’ll have a one acre pond about 15’ deep.
I’m know I’m not going to grow 12 lb bass or 20 pound catfish in a one acre pond just like I’m not gonna grow Boone and crocketts on my 100 acres in Wilkes county. But would love to hear advise from someone who has a similar sized pond they manage.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I met with a couple guys Saturday that have a good reputation in area about the pond build. Felt good about all they told me. My first (preferred) location was no good due to not enough watershed. They liked the next spot and said that they felt confident in a good one acre pond there. So I’ve pulled the trigger and clearing will begin in a couple months. I’m very excited about this project. I’ll be sure to post Picts of the build and the finished product and hopefully will be able to recommend these guys when it’s all done.

Now, next question... stocking. What are the dos and donts of the fish management part, assuming this time next year I’ll have a one acre pond about 15’ deep.
I’m know I’m not going to grow 12 lb bass or 20 pound catfish in a one acre pond just like I’m not gonna grow Boone and crocketts on my 100 acres in Wilkes county. But would love to hear advise from someone who has a similar sized pond they manage.
NO white fish! Crappie will kill any pond under 20 acres.. unless that's all you want in it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NO white fish! Crappie will kill any pond under 20 acres.. unless that's all you want in it.
I don't know about that. A pond of a little over an acre on a friend's property that I fished off and on for over thirty years had excellent fishing for big crappie, along with great bass, catfish, and bream fishing.