Burglar ignores shotgun warning, is shot by homeowner

FX Jenkins

but it could keep you out of court.

I respectfully differ with you on this point...

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1711925/posts

Now while a family member of an intruder may sue you, one can be %100 sure dead intruders don't file lawsuits. With all the meth heads out there, I don't plan on taking any chances with trying to place surgical shots in the dark on moving targets...not with family behind me...

Knotwild

Until you are in a situation like that, there is no telling what decision you might make. I almost shot a drunk in my home years ago, but he wasn't coming at me. In that case I am glad I didn't. He lived in the neighborhood and entered my house by mistake.

In retrospect, it is kind of funny, he encountered me, a completely naked man with a cocked and unlocked 1911 pointed at his nose.

Les Miles

Banned
I awoke a few weeks ago to a noise that sounded like someone knocking stuff out of the cabinets downstairs. :eek:

It was about 4:30am in the morning. My senses went full-on laying there in bed, I jumped up, found my shotgun in the dark, and stepped out onto the balcony upstairs. Nothing was moving downstairs, the doors and windows all appeared intact, and it was dead silent. But I knew that I had heard something....

So I stood there for a few moments watching and waiting. I finally went downstairs and went room to room checking closets and doors and windows. Everything was secure. So I reluctantly trudged back upstairs and went back to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later, still trying to figure out what had happened. I know I had heard something... :huh:

So I got up to take my shower, and noticed something laying in the bottom of the shower stall....

It was the plastic globe from the light 15 ft above the shower that must have fallen and made all the racket. :banginghe

Good to know that I had sense enough to execute my intruder plan coming out of a dead sleep though. :)

FX Jenkins

I installed the hardwood floors in my house and it would be very difficult for me to blast it with a shotgun.

In all seriousness, I greatly respect all human life, but I respect my families life ever more, and I pray we never have to face this situation.

egomaniac247

The guy must have been on something to keep walking toward the shooter after the first warning shot. Either that or wanted to commit suicide. What person in any frame of near-sober mind would walk toward someone who has a shot gun pointed at them point-blank AFTER firing a warning shot? The noise alone inside a house would have been enough to kill most intruders via heart attack.

Kendallbearden

Big spider lover
I awoke a few weeks ago to a noise that sounded like someone knocking stuff out of the cabinets downstairs. :eek:

It was about 4:30am in the morning. My senses went full-on laying there in bed, I jumped up, found my shotgun in the dark, and stepped out onto the balcony upstairs. Nothing was moving downstairs, the doors and windows all appeared intact, and it was dead silent. But I knew that I had heard something....

So I stood there for a few moments watching and waiting. I finally went downstairs and went room to room checking closets and doors and windows. Everything was secure. So I reluctantly trudged back upstairs and went back to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later, still trying to figure out what had happened. I know I had heard something... :huh:

So I got up to take my shower, and noticed something laying in the bottom of the shower stall....

It was the plastic globe from the light 15 ft above the shower that must have fallen and made all the racket. :banginghe

Good to know that I had sense enough to execute my intruder plan coming out of a dead sleep though. :)

Your shower is 15 feet tall? :huh:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
What is a warning shot?

ASH556

Wait, you mean the sound of "racking the almighty shotgun" didn't scare him off!!!!!:hair:

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

MudDucker

Staff member
Bad men coming into my house in the dark scare me. When I am scared, I do not give warning shots. If there is more than one, a warning shot gives your location and leaves you with the potential of multiple perps to deal with.

hoghunter1

You never "shoot to kill" you shoot to stop the individual that has you in fear of your life. I understand that this is a semantics thing, but it could keep you out of court. Regrettably, shooting towards the center of mass to stop someone is often times fatal.

If the intruder is in my home I want the shot to be fatal. Never know what can happen if the stupid intruder is on drugs. This guy had the chance to retreat after a warning shot and chose to continue to advance. Second shot would have been to the head!!

butcherman

All was not as it seems!

I know the man that went into the home and was shot. He graduated high school with my son and his family are good friends of mine. We hunt together regularly. He wasn't drunk at all. In fact his BAL was almost nothing and he tested neg for drugs. He has a very unusual sleeping disorder that causes him to sleepwalk and is almost unwakeable when in this state. He doesn't remember anything the next day when it happens. He was in Buckhead staying with friends when he went on his walk this time. I know of it happening once while he was staying with us. He is very lucky that the homeowner didn't kill him. I, like most of you on this tread would have had it been my house. Thank God that this guy for whatever reason didn't. His family is devastated enough as it is. He comes from a very good family here in our community. He would NEVER do what he is being charged with, Burglary. He has a wealthy family and is in school to become an architect. I wish the media would do a follow up to the story. He has a documented history of taking his sleepwalks.

rjcruiser

I know the man that went into the home and was shot. He graduated high school with my son and his family are good friends of mine. We hunt together regularly. He wasn't drunk at all. In fact his BAL was almost nothing and he tested neg for drugs. He has a very unusual sleeping disorder that causes him to sleepwalk and is almost unwakeable when in this state. He doesn't remember anything the next day when it happens. He was in Buckhead staying with friends when he went on his walk this time. I know of it happening once while he was staying with us. He is very lucky that the homeowner didn't kill him. I, like most of you on this tread would have had it been my house. Thank God that this guy for whatever reason didn't. His family is devastated enough as it is. He comes from a very good family here in our community. He would NEVER do what he is being charged with, Burglary. He has a wealthy family and is in school to become an architect. I wish the media would do a follow up to the story. He has a documented history of taking his sleepwalks.

If this is the case, he needs to be in an institution or sleep in a straight jacket. His situation seems like it is causing others harm and potentially putting them in dangerous situations.