Cades Cove Deer (part 1)

DSGB

These were the first two deer we saw at Cades Cove. We went around mid-day, so most of them were laying around in the shade chewing their cud, and getting up occassionally to grab a bite to eat. These two does were about 50 yards from the road bedded down. Cars would pull up next to us, look around, and drive off. They must not have been looking hard enough.
P9060001210_640x480.jpg

I was able to sneak up on this one and get some close-ups. The deer there have never been hunted, so they have no fear of humans.
P9060001216_640x480.jpg

P9060001218_640x480.jpg

This is how far the deer actually was.
P9060001219_640x480.jpg

My wife tried to follow me, and she moved a little too fast, so the doe got up. I've never seen white marking like that on the front of the deer's legs.
P9060001224_640x480.jpg

This deer was feeding about 20 yards from the road. The first picture was taken with no zoom.
P9060001246_640x480.jpg

P9060001248_640x480.jpg

P9060001244_640x480.jpg

Notice the "blue" color of the deer's face. Most of them were at some stage of shedding their summer coat.
P9060001242_640x480.jpg

braintree

Hey DSGB those are some awesome pics. A guy I work with goes up there every year and he said you would not believe the amount of deer you see. He said he always sees 25-30 "shooters" everytime he goes.

Steven Farr

It is located in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is an 11 mile loop throught some beautiful country. No hunting allowed so the critters are mighty tame.

DSGB

cades cove is nice fed a buck some bugles ate em right out of my hand.
Although that would be a neat thing to do, that is illegal and very bad for any wild animal. Not trying to be negative, but just letting folks know that's not a good thing to do.

jman9977

Nice pixs I would love to take a trip up there

pendy

What awsome pictures. I just can't wait until I get the chance to go there.

Darcy

went there over the summer, it was really nice! We didn't do much walking around like you did, but it was crazy how tame they were....walking out in the middle of the fields and right across the road in front of our car....

100_0625.jpg

100_0624.jpg

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
DSGB said:
Although that would be a neat thing to do, that is illegal and very bad for any wild animal. Not trying to be negative, but just letting folks know that's not a good thing to do.

The authorities will write you a ticket! No warning a fine right then and there. My wife's cousin is the Wildlife Biologist for the park and he has told me numerous stories about fines being issued for this.

JoeBanker

Banned
Great Pictures... I was in Cades Cove last weekend but we didn't see any wildlife. Really interesting place for those who have never been.