California national park vacation

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I want to do that soon myself.

I have been to Tahoe and it is a beautiful area, especially the northern Truckee River area. While we were there, we went to Carson City, got a small private plane and flew across Spooners Gap and circled Tahoe. It was May, and most of the mountain was still frozen over with snow.

Geffellz18

Did pretty much that exact trip back in 2017 over nearly 3 weeks minus redwoods, but visited Muir Woods in San Francisco instead. Did a road trip so saw lots of other places along the way like the Petrified Forest, Flagstaff, Cadillac ranch, Virginia city, Bonneville flats, Salt Lake, etc.
One of the more memorable trips and WELL worth the experience.
Another one to put on the calendar is Utahs Mighty 5. Did that in 2019 and added Cedar Breaks & Grand Staircase/Escalante Notional Monuments and North Rim of the Grand Canyon to the trip over 9 days traveling through Vegas each way.
Both are wonderful experiences that all should take advantage of in their lifetime.
Of the two, I preferred the mighty 5, but it was also just me and my wife-flight to and from Vegas to travel, where the Cal trip included the kids & my parents in a 7 passenger suv over the road-so there was a lil’ tension at times. :bounce:
Already planning an overlander trip back to Southern Utah to trail ride & camp down inside Canyonlands & Glen Canyon. Maybe next year for my 45th or the next year for my wife’s 45th!
Enjoy the planning and trip-Be sure to share some of your experience back here afterwards.

Last edited:

Tnhunter

Did pretty much that exact trip back in 2017 over nearly 3 weeks minus redwoods, but visited Muir Woods in San Francisco instead. Did a road trip so saw lots of other places along the way like the Petrified Forest, Flagstaff, Cadillac ranch, Virginia city, Bonneville flats, Salt Lake, etc.
One of the more memorable trips and WELL worth the experience.
Another one to put on the calendar is Utahs Mighty 5. Did that in 2019 and added Cedar Breaks & Grand Staircase/Escalante Notional Monuments and North Rim of the Grand Canyon to the trip over 9 days traveling through Vegas each way.
Both are wonderful experiences that all should take advantage of in their lifetime.
Of the two, I preferred the mighty 5, but it was also just me and my wife-flight to and from Vegas to travel, where the Cal trip included the kids & my parents in a 7 passenger suv over the road-so there was a lil’ tension at times. :bounce:
Already planning an overlander trip back to Southern Utah to trail ride & camp down inside Canyonlands & Glen Canyon. Maybe next year for my 45th or the next year for my wife’s 45th!
Enjoy the planning and trip-Be sure to share some of your experience back here afterwards.
I would like to do the Mighty five too!

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Gas already near $5/gal out there. Could be MUCH higher by then

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Gas already near $5/gal out there. Could be MUCH higher by then

Gator89

Yosemite is best in the spring while every thing is blooming. June should still have waterflow.

I visited multiple times when I lived in CA, 30 years ago.

The fall is the worst time to visit, no waterfalls, not much water in the river, just a bunch of big rocks.

Meriwether Mike

Yosemite in May is spectacular. All the falls will be running good. The road up to Half Dome may be closed though. Bring warm clothes as it still gets cold at night. May can be busy, but June will be crazy crowded. Sequoyah National Park would be great to see as well. The trees are huge. There is a Sequoyah grove outside the park at Yosemite you can hike in too. Just be prepared as it snows in May. I hiked in while it was snowing. It was an great experience.

ucfireman

Call or make reservations. Been reading were a lot of parks are limiting access and you have to make reservations.
Also some are black from the fires last year.
Been a bucket list item to go see the big trees.

Enjoy and post pictures please.

Bobby Bigtime

Wife and I have been to all of those and enjoyed them. The grove of sequoia outside Yosemite is the mariposa. If you make the jaunt to Redwoods you might as well take in Lassen Volcano as well. Hiking in the redwoods is a unique experience as the trees are so tall the birds are way up above so the woods are very quiet and the needle bed is super deep so as one walks through they make almost no sound