Call conditioning

How about storing pot calls? Can you store in airtight containers? Have read conflicting reports on this. If not what is the preferred method as these custom calls are expensive.

Thanks

Slate: I use a Maroon Scotch Brite Pad to scrub the surface as needed. You can also use a lighter or candle to make any Slate Call sound better. I do not care who made it, it will make it sound better!

Hope that this helps!

Can you explain a little better??? I've tryed a flame on my striker once not sure if this is what your talking about...

mikey0715

I dont use anything but a stone on glass,in ONE DIRECTION every time. If you have pretty graphics on your call,forget them. Rub it real good,but dont push too hard. You will like how it sounds.

hunt-it-all

I just bought a Vaughn's Custom Call idk if ya'll have heard of them but is glass over slate and im trying to break it in and it came with a piece of sandpaper but it seems to barely scrach it. is this normal?

rutandstrut

I use a grit blast chamber to condition my Glass and Crystal Calls prior to shipping. After that I use 80 Grit or 60 Grit depending on the amount of Rasp I am looking for in a call to re-condition the Calling surface as needed. When the Striker begins to slip it is time to re-condition the Calling Surface. Do this by sanding back and forth from 9 to 3 or 6 to 12. Tip Call and allow dust to fall off Calling Surface.

bull0ne

Banned
The only thing I can add is that I sometimes use rain chalk on aluminum, glass, and crystal.

Good idea

I use rainchalk on all my friction calls. I keep two or three pieces scattered around the various compartments on my vest.

I also have a couple squares of grit paper and scotchbrite pads laced onto a string attached to my vest for ease of use when conditioning calls in the woods.

WOODS N WATER

It depends on what type of call you are talking about. I will assume that you are talking about Friction Calls:

Glass or Crystal: I Grit Blast with 220 Grit Aluminum Oxide. If the surface needs to be touched up I use 60-80 Grit Gator Grit Sandpaper depending on how raspy I wan the call to be.

Slate: I use a Maroon Scotch Brite Pad to scrub the surface as needed. You can also use a lighter or candle to make any Slate Call sound better. I do not care who made it, it will make it sound better!

Silver Aluminum: Scrub the surface as needed with Maroon Scotch Brite Pad.

Treated Silver Aluminum: Use Call as received and do nothing to it. I have a call that I made over 2 Years ago with this Material that has never been conditioned and still works as good as the day it was made.

Anodized Aluminum: Use Alcohol Shot Prep available at your local Pharmacy or use Alcohol on a cottom Ball to clean Call surface as needed. Do not condition this type of Calling Surface or you will have to do it everytime you want to use the call because it will start oxidizing!

Box Calls: clean off old chalk with a clean dry cloth and apply new chalk to paddle.

Hope that this helps!

well put

NwRedFisher

It depends on what type of call you are talking about. I will assume that you are talking about Friction Calls:

Glass or Crystal: I Grit Blast with 220 Grit Aluminum Oxide. If the surface needs to be touched up I use 60-80 Grit Gator Grit Sandpaper depending on how raspy I wan the call to be.

Do you just heat the slate up to make it sound better.Where do you find a maroon scotch brite

Treated Silver Aluminum: Use Call as received and do nothing to it. I have a call that I made over 2 Years ago with this Material that has never been conditioned and still works as good as the day it was made.

Anodized Aluminum: Use Alcohol Shot Prep available at your local Pharmacy or use Alcohol on a cottom Ball to clean Call surface as needed. Do not condition this type of Calling Surface or you will have to do it everytime you want to use the call because it will start oxidizing!

Box Calls: clean off old chalk with a clean dry cloth and apply new chalk to paddle.

Hope that this helps!

Do you just heat the slate up to make it sound better.Where do you find a maroon scotch brite

rutandstrut

I have had a lot of people ask me about my method to make any slate call sound better. You can use a Candle, Lighter or any other heat source.

1. Light the Heat Source.
2. Hold the Call upside down.
3. Move it toward the heat source.
4. You will immediately see a moisture ring form on the Slate.
5. This whole process only takes a few seconds. You do not want to get the call too hot!
6. The moisture ring will rapidly approach the edge of the call.
7. Once it does, remove the call from the heat source and allow it to cool down.
8. Use a maroon scotchbrite pad to scrub the soot off the Slate.
9. Your call is now ready to call better than it ever has!

rutandstrut

You heat up the slate to remove the moisture from it. Send me a PM with your address and I will put one or two scotchbrite pads in the mail for you. Natural Silver Aluminum will oxidize. This is a natural process that occurs which prevents you from getting good grab on a call with a Striker. You will probably have to scrub most Silver Aluminum Calls prior to each calling session.

I have used a process that was developed to keep Silver Aluminum from Oxidizing. I have a call that is 3 years old that I use at every show that has not been scrub since treating the Aluminum and building the call.

Last edited:

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Call

Box call, use very fine sandpaper.
You would be amazed what you can call a turkey up with. One year in Alabama, I lost my chalk while pursuing a gobbler. Box quit making a sound, so I took some dry resin off a pine and got it working again. Sound sort of like a gobbler with a cold, but I got the bird.

Hoyt Thompson

Just tried the lighter trick on a small slate cale from K&H. Never really liked it. Sounded to "plastic".

Heated and scrubbed with a green scotch brite pad. The grabed a stiker and the wife immediatly asked "is that you?" HAHAHAHA

Well all I can say is it works.

kry226

This hasn't really been touched on, but how do you go about conditioning the strikers? I have wood, carbon and the plastic types.

bull0ne

Banned
This hasn't really been touched on, but how do you go about conditioning the strikers? I have wood, carbon and the plastic types.

I lightly clean the tips with a green scotchbrite pad, being careful to go with the grain on the wooden strikers. I also keep one or two wooden strikers in my vest that are somewhat sharpened at the tip for cutting-locating. I seem to get a better bite on the calling surface with those.