Camping and fly fishing this weekend (March 1st)

Redfish542

Hey guys, looking for a little help here. I'm scheduled to camp with some family members this weekend. We are hoping to camp along a river so that we can fly fish. After doing some research, it looks like the Chattooga River is blown out and conditions may be less than ideal. It was an ideal spot because we could camp right along the Chattooga. We are now shifting to a new spot, perhaps along the Davidson or French Broad (obviously both are not in GA). Any suggestions regarding campsites with minimal hikes along a fly fishing river would be greatly appreciated. I have never camped on the Davidson or French Broad, so just looking for any advice or suggestions about where to go. Thanks!

westcobbdog

Toccoa runs northward with miles of fishing, camp at Deep Hole. Also West Fork Chattooga is close to the big river. Nearly everything should be high and stained right now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, looking for a little help here. I'm scheduled to camp with some family members this weekend. We are hoping to camp along a river so that we can fly fish. After doing some research, it looks like the Chattooga River is blown out and conditions may be less than ideal. It was an ideal spot because we could camp right along the Chattooga. We are now shifting to a new spot, perhaps along the Davidson or French Broad (obviously both are not in GA). Any suggestions regarding campsites with minimal hikes along a fly fishing river would be greatly appreciated. I have never camped on the Davidson or French Broad, so just looking for any advice or suggestions about where to go. Thanks!
The French Broad is still nearly at flood stage, pretty much every creek in western NC is blown out right now. They're calling for maybe a couple inches more rain the next few days to boot.

Also, it's supposed to start turning cold this weekend here. Sunday may top out at 40 with snow. Supposed to be highs in the 20s and lows in the low teens/single digits by early next week. The mountains are a totally different world this time of year than the flatlands.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Go to the KOA in Cherokee

patrick.
Oconoluftee just out of flood stage now, but still really high, with a couple more inches of rain coming later this week. Everything here is really high and muddy.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Toccoa runs northward with miles of fishing, camp at Deep Hole. Also West Fork Chattooga is close to the big river. Nearly everything should be high and stained right now.

Toccoa hasn't been at a safe wading level since the first week of December. I don't think y'all realize how much rain we've gotten.