Can a Timber Rattler bite above the knee?

wiiawiwb

In the past 5 weeks, I've encountered two Timber Rattlers both of which were very large. In both cases, I got within two feet of them as each was lying along a narrow trail and was perfectly camouflaged. One rattled then slithered away when I didn't come closer. The other did not rattle but recoiled.

Having snake gaiters and thick leather boots will protect me from the knee down. Unless I'm on an incline with the snake above my feet, can a Timber Rattler's strike reach far enough to bite above my knee? I'm of average height (6').

Any thoughts?

spencer12

Just from experience, not that I have a ton of it with timber rattlers but I have come across a few, timber rattlers are pretty mild mannered. I’ve nearly stepped on quite a few and most times they either never move or back away.

dtala

a 5 foot Timber Rattler hit me 2" below the top of a Lacrosse Grange rubber boot. Maybe 7-8 inches below the knee. On flat ground it would be very unlikely to get bit at, or above, the knee.

Jim Boyd

Yes.

People are bitten in the hand, arm, even the neck / face.

I see rattlers in palmettos (2-3’ up) fairly often.

Most bites, however - are below the knee.

While I think the fear is irrational, the threat does exist.

If you want to worry about something, however, consider yellow jackets, hornets, wasps, dogs and drunk drivers first.

rosewood

About an hour after I commented on this thread I went to check a camera and I found this little guy about 3 feet away from it.
View attachment 1037407
I make it a point to clear out around my camera so I don't have to touch foliage when swapping out cards, helps to keep my scent down. And now I realize it keeps the snakes from having a place to hide...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It would have to be a mighty big one, and you would have to be almost on top of it. Maybe if it was on the uphill side of you.

Shadow11

That's a good question. I've always wondered that as well. Up here in the hills, we're probably just as likely to get bit in the arm or hand as we are the leg or ankle. A lot of ditches, steams, logs, etc to crawl up and over. About a week ago I was going to put out a bag corn. I slipped and fell as I was trying to go up the bank on the other side of a small stream. When I looked up there was a snake cocked back in the striking position, looking me straight in the eyes. I fell backwards like a little girl. It turned out to just be a banded water snake. Ive killed some huge copperheads here, so I'm always on edge when I go through the thick stuff. Even with the boots on!

rosewood

I fell backwards like a little girl. It turned out to just be a banded water snake.
Nothing wrong with that, I bet most anyone would have done the same.

Chris 195 7/8 B&C

Lady stopped to see What I was doing and she stopped right next to the snake on a paved road and it hit her Honda Accord on the gas door. Nearly waist high and sounded like a baseball bat hitting it. Granted this was a big snake that was pretty ill and it was on pavement but it was almost like it lunged rather than a normal strike.

Jim Boyd

We put ourselves low to the ground all the time.

Stepping over and through.

Coming up or down a bank or ditch.

Reaching down for anything.

Again, I have seen them in palmettos several times. Catching birds would be my guess?

Walked up on one in a palmetto one day decades ago. He was 3’ off the ground and looking right at me.

Gut check, for sure.

I still think the threat is way overblown but I do not want to be a statistic.

By snake or drunk driver.