Canadian Goose for dinner?

Wetzel

Seems to be more and more of Canadian geese living on private ponds located around north Georgia. I'm not sure of anything that bothers them other than people, and here in my area people don't usually goose hunt so the birds can quickly become a nuisance.

I had someone ask a couple of weeks ago if the geese were any good to eat. I have no idea. I can only remember one person telling of trying to cook one of these geese years ago and they said it smelled so bad cooking that it was thrown out. Of couse this person may not have known how to prepare the goose for cooking.

I've seen pictures of goose hunters for years with geese that have been killed, but I can't ever remember anyone ever mentioning eating the geese. So does anyone know if Canadian Geese are any good to eat?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Those things are not good at all. Not even worth wasting a shell ::ke:

fredw

Retired Moderator
Harkins

WOODIE13 said:
Those things are not good at all. Not even worth wasting a shell ::ke:

Don't let Woodie13 pull your leg. I enjoy wasting shells on them :clap:

I cook them two ways....marinate in Dales Steak Sauce and smoke them or make a pulled barbeque in the crock pot.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Make jerky out of mine or cube, marinate, wrap in bacon, skewer and toss on the grill. Do not over cook (a nice medium is where it is at for me).

Just hoping for a few more honkers (and foiled again :banginghe ) :rofl:

GeauxLSU

Don't know. What species are those Canadian geese? ;) Canada geese though, are good if prepared right (almost anything is good in a gumbo. :p )
Only thing I worry about resident geese is their diet. For example, the nusiance goose season on Lanier. You know how many thousands of pounds of herbicide are dumped on those golf courses?!? The same grass those geese eat nonstop. :hair: I don't think I'd want to eat a resident goose.
I've got probably 50 in my backyard (with another generation being reared now). I sort of enjoy watching them.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

jay sullivent

dang phil!!! you beat me to that correction. anyway, the meat is tough and dark so i also make jerky out of mine. nothing like sitting in a duck blind waiting on shooting light chewing on some goose jerky. the only waterfowl around here not fit to eat are mergansers, bufflehead, and northern shoveler. there may be more but definately don't eat one of these three.

gordon 2

Arrow3 your avatar of that hog?

Arrow3 is there any way you can email me that picture of the hog you got as an avatar? Or direct me to where I might download pic. It seems it would make a great file for my taxidermy references/purposes.

GADAWGS

Try this:
1 cup Jack Daniels
2 cups orange juice
2 tbs olive oil
marinade meat in this mixture 4-5 hours

1/4 cup Jack Daniels
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 c ketchup
2 tbs worstershire
2 jalepeno peppers ( no seeds)
1 tbs hot sauce
2 tbs diced garlic

blend these ingredients for bar b q sauce. Cook meat at 350 for twenty minutes

GADAWGS

jay sullivent said:
i shot one at the hill a few years ago that tasted like a dogs butt. i'm not a picky eater by no means either!

obviously not, if you have eatten a dog's butt :yeah:

GADAWGS

I dont mind the duck, its the dog butt that I cant comprehend. Kinda surprised the dog didnt bite ya

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
An addition to GADAWGS Recipe is to cook in oven in a pine box and after finish cooking throw goose or duck away and eat pine box.

GADAWGS

GT,
That works on diving ducks. Those things are only good in a gumbo. Most puddle ducks make decent table fare. The geese make a good jerky and I have friend that makes his own marinade that has a nice kick to it. I inject the meat then throw it on the grill for a few minutes

jay sullivent

ringnecks have a decent flavor i think. bluebills from the hill aren't bad. they mainly eat the hydrilla and less on animal material. ruddies are real good but a little on the greasy side.

Latest posts