Carrying Handguns While Bow Hunting.

TOORED

The current Georgia Hunting Regulations Handbook states, on Page 20, the following:

"Archers may not possess any centerfire, rimfire, or muzzleloading firearm while hunting during the archery deer season, except that any person possessing a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA 16-11-126(f) and 16-11-129 may carry such firearms subject to the limitations of OCGA 16-11-126 and 16-11-127 except where prohibited by federal law."

I interpret this statement to mean that all deer hunting archers must possess a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP)in order to lawfully carry any handgun while bowhunting deer. Am I correct in my assumption? And if so, Why would you need a CWP to carry a handgun in plain sight (not concealed in any way)? This doesn't seem fair. I've heard some people say that you can carry a handgun while bowhunting as long as its purpose is for protection.

Any comments or clarification would be appreciated.

Chris Kalinski

All I can concur with is what it reads.

"Archers may not possess any centerfire, rimfire, or muzzleloading firearm while hunting during the archery deer season, except that any person possessing a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid in this state

BigBrett

Game warden told me you must have ccp. Donot know hy but most likely some where shooting deer with pistol and claiming they arrowed them

cathooker

There is no Concealed carry permit anymore. It is called a Georgia Weapons License. In the state of Ga. it is unlawful to carry a handgun or concealable firearm, openly or concealed, on or about one's person without a license to carry.

equinox

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

papachaz

There is no Concealed carry permit anymore. It is called a Georgia Weapons License. In the state of Ga. it is unlawful to carry a handgun or concealable firearm, openly or concealed, on or about one's person without a license to carry.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

these are correct, as are the ones above speaking of the carry permit. it's a Georgia Weapons License. If you're not legally prohibited from carrying a handgun, you can carry one while you're on your own land, in your own vehicle, or fishing or hunting "LEGALLY". to carry a handgun LEGALLY while bowhunting, you must have a GWL. they are easy to obtain, the fee is $75, you go to your local probate office and fill out the forms, they do the background check, take the fingerprints right there. at least they did here in Polk County when I got mine last year. had it in the mail in a week.

HOWEVER.....even if you have the GWL, you can't carry your handgun while bowhunting on Corps of Engineers owned land. IE: Allatoona WMA is COE land, so you can't take it there.

as for it being 'fair or unfair' if you don't have the GWL, then you're not "LEGALLY" hunting if you take it bowhunting with you, it's the law, your own opinion of fair or unfair really doesn't matter when it comes to the laws.

OrlandoBrent

I have a Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearms License, which by reciprocity, is "valid in this [GA] state", so I can carry while bowhunting in FL or GA. Not just a GWL. (just nit-picking - move right along)

As to reasoning (attempting to address your fairness issue), I assume that this rule came about via a clash between 2nd amendement rights and wildlife management practices and enforcement. By the 2nd amendment, my right to protect myself from some well-armed pot grower I run across in the woods, with a better self defense weapon than my bow, trumps DNR's need to manage wildlife taking. In many states still, you must get a license to exercise your 2nd amendment right. :shoot:
Still cannot exercise your federally protected 2nd amendment right on many federal lands (e.g. CoE) :crazy: Well, I guess they are military, and I, as a civilian, wouldn't expect to be able to carry on a military base, like for instance if I wanted to protect myself from a fanatical, religious major psychiatrist in TX. :cry:

cathooker

these are correct, as are the ones above speaking of the carry permit. it's a Georgia Weapons License. If you're not legally prohibited from carrying a handgun, you can carry one while you're on your own land, in your own vehicle, or fishing or hunting "LEGALLY". to carry a handgun LEGALLY while bowhunting, you must have a GWL. they are easy to obtain, the fee is $75, you go to your local probate office and fill out the forms, they do the background check, take the fingerprints right there. at least they did here in Polk County when I got mine last year. had it in the mail in a week.

HOWEVER.....even if you have the GWL, you can't carry your handgun while bowhunting on Corps of Engineers owned land. IE: Allatoona WMA is COE land, so you can't take it there.

as for it being 'fair or unfair' if you don't have the GWL, then you're not "LEGALLY" hunting if you take it bowhunting with you, it's the law, your own opinion of fair or unfair really doesn't matter when it comes to the laws.

Thank you Papachaz.

BigCats

I had a Corp Corp man tell me at a Corp hunt that if I had a license I could carry.this was a Corp bow hunt.

Sargent

I had a Corp Corp man tell me at a Corp hunt that if I had a license I could carry.this was a Corp bow hunt.

At the mandatory meeting for those who got a permit to hunt on Corps property in Cobb County, both the guy who runs the permit process and the game wardens warned us about carrying during these hunts.

It is illegal to carry a firearm on Corps of Engineers' property.

papachaz

really? I called the DNR last year before hunting Allatoona and they told me no I couldn't carry it there, which is why I said what I said.

"At the mandatory meeting for those who got a permit to hunt on Corps property in Cobb County, both the guy who runs the permit process and the game wardens warned us about carrying during these hunts. "This is what I go by also, I won't carry on COE property at all, it's not worth the risk. of course, this year we have a lease property, so we're not WMA hopping like last year

@orlandobrent - just nit picking here, but, the reciprocity makes your FL CCP = to my GWL, so you can carry. thing is, if you didn't have that, then you couldn't carry your sidearm either :flag::flag:

I do think that you are correct in your reasoning that it became an issue with our 2nd amendment rights. that makes sense to me. of course what makes sense to me doesn't mean anything either, :bounce::bounce:

LIB MR ducks

As to reasoning (attempting to address your fairness issue), I assume that this rule came about via a clash between 2nd amendement rights and wildlife management practices and enforcement. By the 2nd amendment, my right to protect myself from some well-armed pot grower I run across in the woods, with a better self defense weapon than my bow, trumps DNR's need to manage wildlife taking. In many states still, you must get a license to exercise your 2nd amendment right.

Does that happen a lot where you hunt? I imagine most pot growers are a little better armed than with a handgun.

Chris Kalinski

The current Georgia Hunting Regulations Handbook states, on Page 20, the following:
"Archers may not possess any centerfire, rimfire, or muzzleloading firearm while hunting during the archery deer season, except that any person possessing a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid in this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.[/QUOTE

Now I am confused ?
Can or can't you ?

equinox

The first quote came from the Georgia Hunting regulations handbook that states bow hunters must have Georgia weapons license in order to legally carry a handgun while bow hunting. The second quote comes from the Georgia Gun Laws, which states that you can carry a gun w/o a permit while hunting. I don't know if one law trumps the other one, but I plan to follow Papachaz's advise and get a Georgia Weapons permit in order to carry a handgun while bow hunting except on corp land.

OrlandoBrent

Does that happen a lot where you hunt? I imagine most pot growers are a little better armed than with a handgun.

I've never run into any problems yet and would most likely attempt talk my way out of it. I think the armed pot growers is a much bigger problem in California than in the southeast. Of course, that has changed out there now that you can kind of semi-legally grow for medical purposes out there. My daughter goes to school in San Fran and used to be friends with someone whose family grows semi-legally in Humbolt. I think the spectrum of growers range from just a farmer just trying to be invisible to someone who would kill you without even blinking.

Now the family heritage farm from the 1770's is in one of the worst meth counties in one of the worst meth states (MO) in the country. They've pretty much taken everything of value from the old house and seem to be leaving it alone now.

Generally, I'm already too loaded down when bow hunting, lugging my climber, that I don't weigh myself down any further with a carry weapon, but don't tell anyone else. :rolleyes: I just like to have the option.

jmh5397

I guess this is ONLY an issue if you kill a deer during archery season with a handgun on your person. Show me the law that says I cannot hunt with multiple weapons during squirrel season. :cheers: