Carrying pistol while bow hunting

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have but usually don’t. Since I got in a saddle I haven’t taken one with me while bow hunting

jrickman

...but what if you carry a .22 pistol instead? The whole two weapon thing is quite a grey area that I've never gotten a straight answer on backed by OCGA or other regs. I asked a GW several years ago about the legality of one member of a party hunting small game with a .22 rifle, while another member carried a centerfire (during the overlap between small game and deer season) for hogs. He scratched his head and looked at me like I'd just asked him for a math formula to calculate drop for an uphill shot.

chris41081

Several years ago I was hunting a clear cut during bow season. Had a lot of hogs that frequented the opposite side of clear-cut(private land) I asked a GW if it was legal for me to carry a rifle and my bow for that circumstance. He basically said it would be the discretion of who the GW that caught me doing it. Not a yes or no answer so I took the safe bet and did not try it. In my mind, I know I am a law abiding hunter and would have never shot at a deer with he rifle but I understand that any LEO that saw me would not know that for sure.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
On public land or private?
Feral hogs are not a protected species and there's no closed season on private land. Public land is a different story.

Good catch! I assumed we were talking about public land.

On private land, there ain't a thing green jeans can say, until he catches you with a deer with a bullet hole in it.

If you have deer and pigs (or coyotes for that matter) on private land, carry a bow and rifle if you want to.

jrickman

That is the one thing that really drives me crazy about the regs. The whole pre-crime judgement issue is just bizarre and frankly, probably gets into some Second Amendment issues. If someone wants to hike the Bartram Trail toting an AR for protection instead of a 9mm handgun...they should be able to do that without issue, regardless of what game animal is or isn't in season. But they can't really do that...or maybe they can...depending on...reasons.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good catch! I assumed we were talking about public land.

On private land, there ain't a thing green jeans can say, until he catches you with a deer with a bullet hole in it.

If you have deer and pigs (or coyotes for that matter) on private land, carry a bow and rifle if you want to.
I’ve done it many times . Also sat in my stand with only a rifle during archery season , hog hunting . Private land

REDMOND1858

Several years ago I was hunting a clear cut during bow season. Had a lot of hogs that frequented the opposite side of clear-cut(private land) I asked a GW if it was legal for me to carry a rifle and my bow for that circumstance. He basically said it would be the discretion of who the GW that caught me doing it. Not a yes or no answer so I took the safe bet and did not try it. In my mind, I know I am a law abiding hunter and would have never shot at a deer with he rifle but I understand that any LEO that saw me would not know that for sure.
If he doesn’t know for sure he shouldn’t be able to write you a ticket, unfortunately not always the case though.

Todd E

This post comes up every year and it's always loaded with misinformation. Go straight to the source. Call your particular GW. Don't ask the net.

Not technically correct, poster. Sure, you can tote a rifle during bow season and shoot pigs or coyotes during archery season on private land. BUT you CANNOT have the bow with you. You MUST do one or the other. One type weapon CANNOT be in your possession.

Straight from the GW who would check me.

Sure you can tote the handgun. I always do. 1911. On my hip. But you CANNOT use it for any hunting purpose. Only self defense.

Otisman

I have carried a bow and rifle during rifle season when it’s cold and I’m trying to fill the freezer. Hoping that if I have a chance to shoot one up close with the bow, I can leave it laying a bit and continue hunting without spooking other deer as bad. And still reach out there if I were to see a good one. Never even considered it might be illegal. Not sure it is during rifle season? Never worked out for me anyhow.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
during bow season

I’m not sure that the legal portion is at any discretion. Enforcement of it can be at the GW discretion, though.

If you’re going to shoot pigs with a rifle during archery season, don’t bow hunt at the same for deer.

“Archers may not possess any firearms while hunting during archery deer season and primitive weapons hunters may not possess any centerfire or rimfire firearm while hunting during the primitive weapons season unless the person is a lawful weapons carrier as defined in O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-125.1 subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law.”

https://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/deer-hunting-regulations - (GeorgiaHuntingDeer Hunting Regulations)