Carrying pistol while bow hunting

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Ga. Still has the carry permit. I got one. I’ve been finger printed background check so I got the card. I can walk into a gun store and buy a gun. They take down that info off the card. No phone in check or by computer. I pay and walk out. Now that person that can carry now with the new carry law still has to have a background ran every time.
Now when u get checked by a officer. He could ask for the card. Show it to him and your fine. Well the other person may fine out they running a background check right then to see if he’s a felon. Or anything else that stands out. If everything is fine. Your on your way.
The only thing I wonder about with the constitutional carry deals, is what does it do to your ability to legally carry in other states? I live in NC, but am frequently in other states.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The only thing I wonder about with the constitutional carry deals, is what does it do to your ability to legally carry in other states? I live in NC, but am frequently in other states.
I believe it’s for your state only. Where other states do recognize my card. California does not. ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I believe it’s for your state only. Where other states do recognize my card. California does not. ?
California, MS, IL, CT, MN, and couple others don't recognize mine. NC has a better recipricocity than GA.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Handgun is not mentioned in the hunting regs which YOU posted. Only says firearm and then later further says rimfire or centerfire firearm... Read it again. How do you get from that that it actually MEANS handgun?

It was pretty simple, actually. The hunting regs said this - “weapons carrier as defined in O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-125.1”…….

So that code section said this - “As used in this part, the term:

(1) “Handgun” means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded”

A pistol is a handgun is a firearm. I’m not sure what’s missing?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Handgun is not mentioned in the hunting regs which YOU posted. Only says firearm and then later further says rimfire or centerfire firearm... Read it again. How do you get from that that it actually MEANS handgun?
But before this gets way out in the weeds……my post was in a response to a situation concerning carrying a rifle for pigs and a bow for deer during archery season. I’m not sure the reasoning for pulling handguns out of that post?

But, as I understand the hunting regs and the terms in the code section the regs refer to, a handgun is a firearm. It doesn’t affect me either way, I have my CWP, I plan to keep it active as I travel across state lines for work. If I’m in the woods, I’m carrying my pistol - handgun - firearm no matter what I’m doing.

transfixer

couple of years ago I asked the question about carrying a rifle in the woods for hogs, at the same time I was bowhunting, asked someone who almost exclusively hunts hogs, that had already asked a GW the same question, it was a hard NO as far as carrying both, one or the other , when it comes to carrying a long gun for hogs and wanting to bow hunt for deer,

Now years back we had some trouble with some local riff raff coming onto our property and destroying stuff, in talking with the sheriff and GW I told them both my guys had carry permits, and we were going to carry our pistols with us while we were bowhunting, neither one had a problem with us doing so. now that GW might just have been cool ? and other GW's might not be ?

cowhornedspike

It was pretty simple, actually. The hunting regs said this - “weapons carrier as defined in O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-125.1”…….

So that code section said this - “As used in this part, the term:

(1) “Handgun” means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded”

A pistol is a handgun is a firearm. I’m not sure what’s missing?

No one is disputing whether or not a pistol is a firearm.

The question you seem to be missing and as has been discussed in this thread is whether or not it is legal to carry a long gun while bow hunting or just a handgun.

The regs YOU posted earlier say:

Archers may not possess any firearms while hunting during archery deer season and primitive weapons hunters may not possess any centerfire or rimfire firearm while hunting during the primitive weapons season unless the person is a lawful weapons carrier as defined in O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-125.1, subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law

The code you quoted defines a handgun as:

1. "Handgun" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term "handgun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of 0.46 centimeter or less in diameter.
Further down the code defines a Weapon:

"Weapon" means a knife or handgun.

The regs say “firearm” rather than handgun or long gun or weapon. IF the regs said "weapon" then it would be limited to a handgun or knife...but it doesn't say that, it says "firearm".

At first I thought that only a handgun would be legal while bow hunting but after reading the code and regs again it seems that a long gun is also legal.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I’m not sure that the legal portion is at any discretion. Enforcement of it can be at the GW discretion, though.

If you’re going to shoot pigs with a rifle during archery season, don’t bow hunt at the same for deer.

“Archers may not possess any firearms while hunting during archery deer season and primitive weapons hunters may not possess any centerfire or rimfire firearm while hunting during the primitive weapons season unless the person is a lawful weapons carrier as defined in O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-125.1 subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law.”

https://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/deer-hunting-regulations - (GeorgiaHuntingDeer Hunting Regulations)
If it was you I’d lock you up

furtaker

couple of years ago I asked the question about carrying a rifle in the woods for hogs, at the same time I was bowhunting, asked someone who almost exclusively hunts hogs, that had already asked a GW the same question, it was a hard NO as far as carrying both, one or the other , when it comes to carrying a long gun for hogs and wanting to bow hunt for deer,
Seems to me that they would have a hard time enforcing that one unless you had a dead deer with a bullet hole in it. It's not illegal to carry a gun in the woods. And anybody could always claim they were pig hunting instead of deer hunting.

Some GWs don't know what on earth they're talking about anyway. Ask ten of them what the legal measurements are on a foothold trap for land trapping and you'll probably get ten different answers.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If it was you I’d lock you up
Can’t catch me. Done outrun you a couple times. If I didn’t have my kids on that seadoo that time…….you’d still be chasing me ? Ain’t a dead gum thing wrong with running 55 in a no wake zone under a bridge.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Seems to me that they would have a hard time enforcing that one unless you had a dead deer with a bullet hole in it. It's not illegal to carry a gun in the woods. And anybody could always claim they were pig hunting instead of deer hunting.

Some GWs don't know what on earth they're talking about anyway. Ask ten of them what the legal measurements are on a foothold trap for land trapping and you'll probably get ten different answers.
Heck. Last gamewarden I seen. Had only one bullet and it was in his shirt pockets.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
No one is disputing whether or not a pistol is a firearm.

The question you seem to be missing and as has been discussed in this thread is whether or not it is legal to carry a long gun while bow hunting or just a handgun.

The regs YOU posted earlier say:

Archers may not possess any firearms while hunting during archery deer season and primitive weapons hunters may not possess any centerfire or rimfire firearm while hunting during the primitive weapons season unless the person is a lawful weapons carrier as defined in O.C.G.A. Section 16-11-125.1, subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127, except where prohibited by federal law

The code you quoted defines a handgun as:

1. "Handgun" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term "handgun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of 0.46 centimeter or less in diameter.
Further down the code defines a Weapon:

"Weapon" means a knife or handgun.

The regs say “firearm” rather than handgun or long gun or weapon. IF the regs said "weapon" then it would be limited to a handgun or knife...but it doesn't say that, it says "firearm".

At first I thought that only a handgun would be legal while bow hunting but after reading the code and regs again it seems that a long gun is also legal.
Well, the way the terms are termed and the hunting regs read…..it can be read the way you interpreted it. But, I’m not going to get technical with it because as a rule of thumb if I have to do that - I’m usually wrong. I get your point, though. Wasn’t missing it, just not going to tackle playing on the words of “any firearm” and “unless the person is lawful”.

furtaker

Heck. Last gamewarden I seen. Had only one bullet and it was in his shirt pockets.
Must've been Fife. In all my ramblings I think I've only been checked twice. I've never had a bad experience with one but they're not always well-versed on hunting/fishing/trapping laws.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Must've been Fife. In all my ramblings I think I've only been checked twice. I've never had a bad experience with one but they're not always well-versed on hunting/fishing/trapping laws.
I had game wardens fall out of the sky on me. They where in a helicopter. Back in the early 80tys.