Cell camera under $150

knightcustomworks

Looking for a decent camera under $150 that will send pics to my phone. I've seen the Spypoint micros for $99 at Academy but they seem to have as many bad reviews as good. I need one for my property at home. I've had cameras and a feeder stolen. I need something that will send me a pic of the person stealing it if it happens again. Thanks

whitter

BANNED
I went thru what you are experiencing and the reliability of that priced cams and function left a lot to be desired. I use several setups like you explained for security on properties like construction areas where there is a lot of high dollar small items that will get legs. I finally chose the Ridgetec cams with security boxes and python cables for most of my setups. The cost per unit is about double but the function is like twice as good as the cheaper cams. Mounting the cameras high up and looking down on the areas to be protected is a good setup also. Most bad guys do not carry a ladder to steal a camera. Applications like poles and trees with out low limbs (above reach) works well. By the time (in most cases) the bad guys have decided to take the cam, the pictures have been taken and sent to your phone with an alarm to notify the pictures have been taken. Low mounted cams in security boxes with a Python cable that are disguised by brush or vegetation to help hide the cam and still leave the front open to detect visitors is also another means. Good luck in your choice. By the way they also work on both ATT and Verison depending on what provider has the best strength for that particular area.

knightcustomworks

I went thru what you are experiencing and the reliability of that priced cams and function left a lot to be desired. I use several setups like you explained for security on properties like construction areas where there is a lot of high dollar small items that will get legs. I finally chose the Ridgetec cams with security boxes and python cables for most of my setups. The cost per unit is about double but the function is like twice as good as the cheaper cams. Mounting the cameras high up and looking down on the areas to be protected is a good setup also. Most bad guys do not carry a ladder to steal a camera. Applications like poles and trees with out low limbs (above reach) works well. By the time (in most cases) the bad guys have decided to take the cam, the pictures have been taken and sent to your phone with an alarm to notify the pictures have been taken. Low mounted cams in security boxes with a Python cable that are disguised by brush or vegetation to help hide the cam and still leave the front open to detect visitors is also another means. Good luck in your choice. By the way they also work on both ATT and Verison depending on what provider has the best strength for that particular area.
I'll definitely be putting them up with a ladder. Even if they take it, at least I'll have the picture sent to my phone. Just want to make sure it actually takes the picture reliably.

Shadow11

I have one of those cheap skypoints that you mentioned from academy. I expected it to be a lot worse than it is, based on the reviews/price, but I'm actually pretty happy with it. It chews through batteries quickly, but I have a lot of coons setting it off about 150 times a night. 8 dollar general aa batteries last me about 3 weeks.

shdw633

Try to find a Tactacam Reveal...blows Spypoint right out of the water as far as performance and you can find them for between $99 to $120 but you got to look for them at Tractor Supply and online and be ready to buy them when you find them because they go quick. If you can hold off until the spring for the new one to come out I would do that before I spent any money on Spypoint and I own five of them with only 1 working and I think it bit the dust about 2 weeks ago because I haven't received any communication or pics from it and it says it's battery is good. Just read the Tactacam thread to see how good these cameras are, btw I own four of them now and can't wait to get a couple more when their new ones come out.

Tunaman

BANNED
I have one of those cheap skypoints that you mentioned from academy. I expected it to be a lot worse than it is, based on the reviews/price, but I'm actually pretty happy with it. It chews through batteries quickly, but I have a lot of coons setting it off about 150 times a night. 8 dollar general aa batteries last me about 3 weeks.
That’s really not bad battery life for cheap batteries. I buy Lithium batteries at SamsClub. Expensive but last months in that camera.

Buford_Dawg

I am running 3 spypoints and 3 Reveals, all 6 have worked terrific for me, the pictures from the Reveal that are sent to phone are certainly better quality, however when you view the picture SD cards from either, the picture quality from both as really good. Spypoint needs to up their game on the sending picture quality part of their process otherwise Tactacam and these other cell cam providers are going to put them out.

billc

I am running 3 spypoints and 3 Reveals, all 6 have worked terrific for me, the pictures from the Reveal that are sent to phone are certainly better quality, however when you view the picture SD cards from either, the picture quality from both as really good. Spypoint needs to up their game on the sending picture quality part of their process otherwise Tactacam and these other cell cam providers are going to put them out.

For $5 you can choose up to 50 of your pics to have Spypoint upgrade to HD resolution same as on the SD card. Will be upgraded at next transmission. I have upgraded 11 of my buck pics so far.

knightcustomworks

So I got the Spypoint, I figured for what I'm using it for, if someone steals it, I'm only out $100. I looked for the Tactacam, with no luck. I'd like to try that one where I hunt if anyone has a link where to get one in stock. The Spypoint is about 12 feet up in a tree and has really good trigger range. It was also really easy to setup. I guess time will tell.